Review: 2017 Hyundai Elantra Sport | 200ps 1.6L Turbo 7 Speed DCT

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Practical Civic? Let’s quantify that. I assume legroom civic wins? Boot space? How else is it more practical.

But seriously what’s with the gaudy red seats, it really does not go well with the exterior design language. I think just black with red piping would have been sufficient. Was it a Hyundai decision or a Sime Darby decision.
Practically everything except the engine and tranny imo, I'm talking looks, size, space, ergonomics, interior, maybe even resale. The Elantra is good, maybe even very good but the trade offs are obvious, plus it being a late release here, means its like a generation behind the Civic. which makes it a difficult choice for the discerning.

I have no idea who signed off the red patches to be honest, It may just be an APAC thing though. Will ask Hyundai if it can be opt-off the checklist when I see them next

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I’m curious if anybody bought one. Haven’t seen any on the road in Klang Valley. I think it needs a 10 year power train warranty like what they did in the United States.

And a 7 years unlimited like Nissan. And they need a sincere marketing team. Not like Kia with their stupid bots. Frankly this car is very competitive. It’s like the Honda of the 90s, powerful, punchy DCT.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Most Malaysian usually think of second hand value first when purchasing a new car. Hyundai have not been great in second hand value, that is why H and T still controls the market here...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Most Malaysian usually think of second hand value first when purchasing a new car. Hyundai have not been great in second hand value, that is why H and T still controls the market here...
T is slowly becoming irrelevant with H's aggressive products, pricing and positioning.

I think Hyundai, done properly can really do well, as their product is good. It's a question of reliability, quality and support.

I think resale value not that critical, considering there are still people buying VW, lol. People care more about the product.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
They are number one in Korea, in fact top 5 are all Korean makes. Really get home support......lol

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
for instance in factory i worked. Majority H and T.
Sure got one influence to buy this and that car. Especially those chickidy management staffs. Challenge each other whose car is best value and safe petrol.
Few even ask me, what is hidden behind my wira front bumper. :banghead:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
for instance in factory i worked. Majority H and T.
Sure got one influence to buy this and that car. Especially those chickidy management staffs. Challenge each other whose car is best value and safe petrol.
Few even ask me, what is hidden behind my wira front bumper. :banghead:
Dare to be difference.....lol:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I’m curious if anybody bought one. Haven’t seen any on the road in Klang Valley. I think it needs a 10 year power train warranty like what they did in the United States.

And a 7 years unlimited like Nissan. And they need a sincere marketing team. Not like Kia with their stupid bots. Frankly this car is very competitive. It’s like the Honda of the 90s, powerful, punchy DCT.
Yeah, haven't seen any on the roads except the demo cars, perhaps it'll be something like when they launched the ioniq, cos it took quite a while before i saw a few on the road.

but you are right about marketing, it's all they need now to reignite the brand here

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Yeah, haven't seen any on the roads except the demo cars, perhaps it'll be something like when they launched the ioniq, cos it took quite a while before i saw a few on the road.

but you are right about marketing, it's all they need now to reignite the brand here
To be totally honest, they should engage you to do their marketing.

Buying a car is usually an emotional decision (although it *should* be objective since it’s a mode of transportation.) Who better to do it than a true and true car guy. Evoke the emotions of a car head in your average Joe and Jane.

Irs not just a statistic on a chart.

Some red seats I like but surely not this!

:rofl: I knew you're gonna say something like that!

True ma. :biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
To be totally honest, they should engage you to do their marketing.

Buying a car is usually an emotional decision (although it *should* be objective since it’s a mode of transportation.) Who better to do it than a true and true car guy. Evoke the emotions of a car head in your average Joe and Jane.

Irs not just a statistic on a chart.
best thing ive heard in a while, made my weekend you did.
I shall send in a request soon

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
best thing ive heard in a while, made my weekend you did.
I shall send in a request soon
You should. Seriously. People are passionate about their cars. The ones who aren’t buys Perodua — practically it’s the best mode of transportation — this no longer your target market.

I remember how back in the 90s people were so passionate with their B16 Civics. From the “small” VTEC to the “big” VTEC.

The next gen would probably be talking about charge times, distance covered etc. since with turbos, hybrids, PHEV, every car is gonna have instant torque anyway.

I find many traditional corporates very cute. They see competitors (in this context e.g.) Honda do a successful marketing and they try to emulate, citing that it worked for Honda it should work for us too. Well Hyundai isn’t Honda. You don’t have the approval of “old” car guys who grew up in the 90s.. and that’s evident from the resale value, along with market perception. What works for the current non national sales leader will definitely not work for Hyundai.

One marketing did amazingly well of late was by McDonald’s and their ayam goreng crunch ad. Fried chicken has always been a KFC thing. Mcd didn’t copy KFC promoting herbs, spices, and flavor.

They just did one thing.. evoke emotion.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im thinking of buying a car and renting it out when im not using it. Is there a rental need for suzuki swift sport? Are hatchback easy to rent out?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience