Review: 2016 Toyota Vios with New Engine & 7 Speed 'box!

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

The Toyota Vios is a car that needs no introduction. It is a sedan designed for Asean and has been very popular in the region, be it in a form of a family car or a taxi. You may find it in North America wearing the Yaris Sedan name, but in terms of sales volume, the consumers there prefer the larger Camry.

Since its introduction into our country in 2003, statistics have proven that the Vios is the most popular non-national car. It held that title for 11 consecutive years. Things are not on the Vios’ side in recent years, however, as its sales figures were outnumbered by the equally competitive Honda City.

With that, UMW Toyota recently re-introduced the Vios, this time with a better package. It comes with an array of improvements, mainly to regain traction in the aspect of its competitiveness.

2016 Toyota Vios

Engine:
1.5-litre 4-cylinder Dual VVT-i
Power: 106hp at 6,000rpm
Torque: 140Nm at 4,200rpm
Zerotohundred: n/a
Transmissions: 5-speed manual or CVT with Sport Sequential Shiftmatic mode
Price: 1.5J Manual: RM76,500; 1.5J CVT: RM79,800; 1.5E CVT: RM83,900; 1.5G: RM89,900; 1.5GX: RM92,800; 1.5 TRD Sportivo: RM96,400

Key improvements

• New 2NR-FE 1.5-litre Dual-VVT-i engine – replaces the outgoing 1NZ-FE VVT-i engine
  • New 7-speed CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) – replaces the current 4-speed automatic transmission
  • VSC (vehicle stability control) with TRC (traction control) as standard
  • Enhanced ride comfort – reduced cabin noise and improved ride
  • New GX variant – wears exclusive styling package, sits below the TRD Sportivo
Exterior

On its styling, the new Toyota Vios looks largely similar to the pre-improvised Vios it replaces. The new GX which is an addition to the existing J, E, G and TRD gets a whole new styling package, namely dark chrome grille, smoked projector headlights, new bodykit, new 15-inch alloy wheels and ‘GX’ emblem.

The TRD Sportivo variant has also seen enhancements – new front grille finished in black, redesigned bodykit, new 15-inch TRD Sportivo alloy wheels and TRD Sportivo emblem. However, you would need to be very attentive to spot the differences between the new TRD and the previous one.

As for the wheels, I personally think the wheels on the GX variant look more appealing. The 'bubble roof' featured on the Vios is also a nice touch that gives the car a dynamic look.

Interior

The interior of the new Vios has seen some subtle changes, too. The dashboard of the GX variant gets ‘metal hairline’ trim, while the perforated leather seats are finished in saddle tan and black shade.

On the TRD Sportivo, the dashboard trim is carbon-fibre-like, and to add some sporty bits to it, there is red stitching on its steering wheel and perforated leather sports seats. Infotainment is 6.8-inch DVD-AVX audio with reverse camera for both GX and TRD Sportivo.

The GX and TRD Sportivo can also be distinguished by the meter cluster; blue line dials on the GX and red background dials on the TRD Sportivo.

Engine

The new 1.5-litre Dual VVT-i engine is one of the biggest changes on the new Vios. During our drive to Melaka with 3 journalists and our luggage onboard, the 2NR-FE took its time to propel the car up to highway speed.

It may not have the pace to lurch you forward like you would desire, but power feels sufficient, and you get a sense of instant response once you add throttle input. The engine also revs into the higher range of its tachometer rather quietly, no evidence of harshness or droning.

According to Toyota, the new Dual VVT-i engine is up to 18% more fuel-efficient, thus bestowing the EEV status onto the new Vios. In a fuel efficiency challenge held at Melaka International Motorsport Circuit (MIMC), the car recorded an impressive 24.6km for one litre of fuel. Yup, that’s hybrid car territory.

Of course, in the above test, almost all drivers drove the car with air-cond turned off and barely exceeding 50km/h (including me) to explore just how far we can get. In the individual challenge, I managed to clock only 20.5km, but a satisfying figure (for me) as I constantly fought the urge to close the gap between my car and the pack in front.

In real-world driving situation – with air-cond turned on and traffic congestion – and given that you drive the car sensibly, I believe the new Vios can easily make 14 to 17km per litre.

Transmission

It seems CVT is the way to go now. For passenger cars like the Vios, comfort and fuel consumption are important factors, in which the type of transmission could play its role. Typical in a CVT-equipped car, the Vios accelerates fluidly with no ‘shift shock’ as present in its torque-converter counterpart.

Under acceleration, the new 7-speed transmission helps the engine stay at its power range. But when you are cautious about the fuel left in your tank, the CVT will assist you to be at the lowest rev while having enough torque to glide your car at constant velocity.

In comparison to the previous 4-speed automatic, the rev needle movement in the new CVT-equipped car is slower during gearshifts (which translated to a smoother ride), as we tested both the new and previous cars back-to-back at a designated route near Ayer Keroh, comprised of uphill, downhill and some twisties. At constant speed, the engine in the new Vios with CVT also spins at significantly lower revs compared to the one coupled to the 4-speed automatic.

Ride and comfort

With the new Vios, Toyota said they have improved the NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) level of the car. At speeds above 150km/h, wind noise is still at a controlled level as the new Vios maintained clarity during our conversations with the passengers.

As for handling at high speeds, it is not the most confidence-inspiring as the car feels rather boaty. But we must note that the car’s chassis is tuned for comfort and urban operation in mind, so it shines when driven on bumps and undulated surfaces in the city.

Safety

In addition to the existing ABS, EBD and Brake Assist, the new Vios now comes with active safety features like Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control as standard on all trims. In a test conducted at the MIMC circuit, the active safety features interfered seamlessly as we aggressively swerved the car (similar to changing lane) before applying hard brake.

To help unsettle the car, there were sand peppered all over the road surface where we would perform the application of a sudden steering input. However, the VSC worked its wonder to correct the car according to desired steering input, thus stopping the Vios in the safe zone as planned.

With these additional features on the new Toyota Vios, especially in the safety department, It could inspire other manufacturers in the segment to offer similar packages, making competition more interesting while benefiting customers.

The question here is, will the new 2016 Toyota Vios reclaim its title now?

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
So detailed, yet no mention of anything as simple and common as the airbags.

Tsk tsk..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Search the forum awhile but no thread bout Q8. Guys, may I know where to get Q8 lubricant? Prefer Ampang/KL area. How much for a semi-syn 4 litre? Thanx in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience