Review: 2015 Megane RS275 Trophy-R + On-Board Video

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I can't say if it would apply to all cars as of yet. Perhaps in GT or V8 Supercar platforms, one may need to consider the footrest not so much to rest the feet but a form of support for high G corners.

It is still okay to gently rest on the clutch pedal since its not being activated. Race clutch are firmer as well.
Was about to say that on the foot rest thing....:driver:

I also leave foot on clutch most of the time. I have adjusted clutch to have enough free play for this...:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I can't say if it would apply to all cars as of yet. Perhaps in GT or V8 Supercar platforms, one may need to consider the footrest not so much to rest the feet but a form of support for high G corners.

In my case, when racing in less extreme touring cars I don't find a need to leave the clutch pedal for now

It is still okay to gently rest on the clutch pedal since its not being activated. Race clutch are firmer as well.

Since we are on this topic, with reference from the tips I provided above on determining the bite point of the clutch.

if you noticed from my video there is a slight prod on the clutch pedal before initiating a shift. That's pre loading the clutch to reduce as much free gap as possible. I Hope this would help anyone to improve their footwork

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
About firmer race clutch, how does the clutch on this Trophy R felt like? Stiff?

Yeah, I do notice you prod the clutch slightly every time before you shift.

Thank you renesis. I used to drive a manual daily. It is still my first choice although these days the MINI is hibernating and is undergoing mild restoration.

I had a manual E30 and E34 BMW although the E34 has been converted to an automatic following the V12 conversion.

But why automatic in a powerful V12? Or the engine cannot be mated to a manual?

Thanks for the notification, let me give it a check

Another problem here is that the search function seems to have been removed. Is it a bug? I had to use google to search for older topics in zth.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
About firmer race clutch, how does the clutch on this Trophy R felt like? Stiff?

Yeah, I do notice you prod the clutch slightly every time before you shift.

But why automatic in a powerful V12? Or the engine cannot be mated to a manual?

Another problem here is that the search function seems to have been removed. Is it a bug? I had to use google to search for older topics in zth.
The clutch on the Trophy R is standard issue Megane RS which is pretty light. Type-R clutch is just a teaspoon heavier. Very very liveable.

The V12 is an auto simply because it came with the halfcut. I had 2 V12s from the 750il that had seen better days. I now have the same M70 B50 V12 engine but from the 850i instead. With less than 40K miles on it i believe.

I am still sourcing for a 6 speed manual from the 850i to complete the project.

The standard auto that came with the 750il is a 4 speed. hardly brings out the best of the 300hp 450nm V12 but is buttery smooth

Search and Forums Issue

which search function do you use? the one on the top right corner? It's working apparently.
Although it doesn't do 3-letter or less search unfortunately

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The clutch on the Trophy R is standard issue Megane RS which is pretty light. Type-R clutch is just a teaspoon heavier. Very very liveable.

The V12 is an auto simply because it came with the halfcut. I had 2 V12s from the 750il that had seen better days. I now have the same M70 B50 V12 engine but from the 850i instead. With less than 40K miles on it i believe.

I am still sourcing for a 6 speed manual from the 850i to complete the project.

The standard auto that came with the 750il is a 4 speed. hardly brings out the best of the 300hp 450nm V12 but is buttery smooth

Search and Forums Issue

which search function do you use? the one on the top right corner? It's working apparently.
Although it doesn't do 3-letter or less search unfortunately
So, I guess it is fine to get a high powered manual car as long as the clutch remains stock. I used to thought that high powered cars needs a stiff clutch to prevent slip. I've tried racing clutch before in a B18C EG hatch and FC3S which feels terrible to me because they are so stiff. Almost feels like 2 or 3 times heavier than clutch you find in ordinary cars.

Your M70B50 is a 5 litre V12 but gives out only 300hp. With such displacement advantage, I believe it can surely put out even more hp if it is modded. Nonetheless, that is an interesting engine because we don't normally hear about other V12 engines in Malaysia other than the usual Ferrari or Lamborghini V12.

The search function that I normally use is the one on the forums homepage. The one that used to be above the "Most Popular Forums (7 days)" and "Latest Posts". But it is gone now.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But these hot hatches are not exactly cheap to begin with... Perhaps they diverted the cost to elsewhere such as interior creature comforts... I wish there are still more cars being developed like WRX STI and Lancer Evolution kind of approach where most of the cost went to the functional mechanical bits instead of aesthetics.
If all companies did that - then all companies would end up like Gumpert. Excellent car, zero aesthetics and comfort, bankrupt and broke.

I think my manual shifting skill is pretty shitty now already! :biggrin:
Too long driving auto and only once a year for a few weeks driving manual.
No worries, nothing a PDK or paddle shifter can't solve!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If all companies did that - then all companies would end up like Gumpert. Excellent car, zero aesthetics and comfort, bankrupt and broke.
Gumpert only had like one car in its lineup. Can't really expect them to do well globally.

Well, Porsche can do such things. They had cars for comfort, comfort performance, pure performance. Like what they did recently with the new 911 R. They probably know that the car won't sell very well since it doesn't appeal to everyone but at least they did it for the hardcore enthusiast despite them belonging in the niche market.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Gumpert only had like one car in its lineup. Can't really expect them to do well globally.

Well, Porsche can do such things. They had cars for comfort, comfort performance, pure performance. Like what they did recently with the new 911 R. They probably know that the car won't sell very well since it doesn't appeal to everyone but at least they did it for the hardcore enthusiast despite them belonging in the niche market.
Compared to the Gumpert the 911R looks like a luxury sports car!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No worries, nothing a PDK or paddle shifter can't solve!
Cannot afford cars with PDK or fast response paddle shifters leh!
I think manual still more fun and engaging also, and I miss driving a good one badly now.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
So, I guess it is fine to get a high powered manual car as long as the clutch remains stock. I used to thought that high powered cars needs a stiff clutch to prevent slip. I've tried racing clutch before in a B18C EG hatch and FC3S which feels terrible to me because they are so stiff. Almost feels like 2 or 3 times heavier than clutch you find in ordinary cars.

Your M70B50 is a 5 litre V12 but gives out only 300hp. With such displacement advantage, I believe it can surely put out even more hp if it is modded. Nonetheless, that is an interesting engine because we don't normally hear about other V12 engines in Malaysia other than the usual Ferrari or Lamborghini V12.

The search function that I normally use is the one on the forums homepage. The one that used to be above the "Most Popular Forums (7 days)" and "Latest Posts". But it is gone now.
Stock mass market performance cars generally come with forgivable clutch pedals. M3s with 340hp to 400hp are absolutely fine with marshmallow factory clutches

Racecars need race clutches for continuous hard usage and durability.

Aftermarket multi plate, bell ringing, concrete clutches caters to modified engines with a single purpose, drag or race. Unforgiving for daily driving. Although it is a necessity for many big powered turbo JDMs

The M70B50 is ancient although it has very advanced fuel injection system for its time. There's two of everything. 2 MAF sensors, 2 ecus, 2 banks of fuel rail. Basically a double M20B25. I doubt the gains will be worth the trouble the NA way. Boosting it should yield pretty amazing numbers for sure.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Compared to the Gumpert the 911R looks like a luxury sports car!
Perhaps they went too over in the Gumpert. I don't think the Gumpert's asking price is cheap either. If it is expensive, they should expect rich people to get these cars and normally they tend to be business man or something. So, I think a full race car oriented theme in the car will not really appeal to those people since most of them are not fully into performance...

Look at Veyron, at least VW inserts an interior that looks luxurious knowing that the targeted customers will be the super rich.

Cannot afford cars with PDK or fast response paddle shifters leh!
I think manual still more fun and engaging also, and I miss driving a good one badly now.
I was thinking, why did you went for the Mark X instead of its predecessors? The famous JZX100 or JZX90 Chaser/Mark II/Cresta that comes with 1JZ-GTE in Tourer V specifications.

Stock mass market performance cars generally come with forgivable clutch pedals. M3s with 340hp to 400hp are absolutely fine with marshmallow factory clutches

Racecars need race clutches for continuous hard usage and durability.

Aftermarket multi plate, bell ringing, concrete clutches caters to modified engines with a single purpose, drag or race. Unforgiving for daily driving. Although it is a necessity for many big powered turbo JDMs

The M70B50 is ancient although it has very advanced fuel injection system for its time. There's two of everything. 2 MAF sensors, 2 ecus, 2 banks of fuel rail. Basically a double M20B25. I doubt the gains will be worth the trouble the NA way. Boosting it should yield pretty amazing numbers for sure.

Now that I have heard this from you, it doesn't make much sense for road going B series VTEC engines to use such heavy racing clutch since their output is around 160 to 200hp. Even if modded, I don't think their output will go over 300hp in NA form. So, why do they go for such heavy clutch?

Boosting the V12 via turbocharge? Surely a lot of work to be done.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I was thinking, why did you went for the Mark X instead of its predecessors? The famous JZX100 or JZX90 Chaser/Mark II/Cresta that comes with 1JZ-GTE in Tourer V specifications.
The reason I went for the Mark X is because mainly I don't want FWD cars anymore (so either RWD or AWD) and must be at least 200HP with 6 speed, and not too old. So that time the choices within my budget were only the Mark X, the Nissan 250GT, and BMW E90 325i. The Nissan is too rare on the road, so parts availability might be a concern, and I don't like the styling. The 325i is a better driver's car but will cost more for maintenance, 1 yr older for the same price, and again I also don't like the styling. Hence only this Mark X really fits my requirement.

The Chaser etc2 are too old and rare to be dependable/reliable for a daily ride. If I were to go for a manual turbo fast car, I might as well go for a CT9A Evo which I indeed was seriously considering until the wife veto it! :banghead:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
The reason I went for the Mark X is because mainly I don't want FWD cars anymore (so either RWD or AWD) and must be at least 200HP with 6 speed, and not too old. So that time the choices within my budget were only the Mark X, the Nissan 250GT, and BMW E90 325i. The Nissan is too rare on the road, so parts availability might be a concern, and I don't like the styling. The 325i is a better driver's car but will cost more for maintenance, 1 yr older for the same price, and again I also don't like the styling. Hence only this Mark X really fits my requirement.

The Chaser etc2 are too old and rare to be dependable/reliable for a daily ride. If I were to go for a manual turbo fast car, I might as well go for a CT9A Evo which I indeed was seriously considering until the wife veto it! :banghead:
Aaahhh I feel you bro :banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Introducing...... alien clean and alien wax.

alien clean

What better way to demonstrate the power of alien clean than a wheel heavily coated in brake dust!

Spray on some alien...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience