Review: 2015 Megane RS275 Trophy-R + On-Board Video

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think my manual shifting skill is pretty shitty now already! :biggrin:
Too long driving auto and only once a year for a few weeks driving manual.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
But when change gear should not lunge forward....

Yes, is 4G63T but welded to run 2WD mah! so all power goes to two front wheels
Well, the feeling is like when he is accelerating, I am leaning my back on the seat. When he lets go of the throttle, you the kind of feel like the acceleration g force is gone and you are like still moving forward? Like when you are braking too abruptly and you find yourself lunging forward. Something like that but less severe than sudden emergency braking.

But still stock ma, not so much stress maybe? The tyre guy was saying if you are running 2WD and still doing intense mod like larger intercooler, changing pistons, changing into larger turbo, driveshaft sure very easy kong.

I take back my statement to be fair since I have no idea how severe it was.

It's just when I read what you described, i thought it was pretty bad. i've seen too many drivers not realizing this and have permanently adopted the wrong technique. Transition between shifts is inevitable but can be made smoother. It is up to a driver to ensure his / her passengers feel pleasant.

My advice is, the faster and harder you go, the quicker the shifts need to be. Likewise, when driving slow or when cruising, shifts can be slower. It's not so much the shift knob but the footwork mostly
I think the lunging is probably due to the sudden lost of acceleration when he releases the throttle.

Quicker shifting while going fast is to prevent speed lost and rpm from dropping too much isn't it? Shifting smoothly is like trying to balance out your foot timing with the clutch and accelerator pedal. I always will try to time them simultaneously to be like when one pedal is down, the other will be up.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think the lunging is probably due to the sudden lost of acceleration when he releases the throttle.

Quicker shifting while going fast is to prevent speed lost and rpm from dropping too much isn't it? Shifting smoothly is like trying to balance out your foot timing with the clutch and accelerator pedal. I always will try to time them simultaneously to be like when one pedal is down, the other will be up.
Good manual transmission drivers can minimize this sensation. The rate in which the car is accelerating fully determines their shift speed.

The sad thing is some drivers stick to that one way when operating the clutch and foot pedals. This often causes an unpleasant ride.

The trick is:

1. Do everything at the same time - clutch shift throttle
  2. It's mostly in the legs and foot pedals
  3. To use equal amounts of throttle and clutch
    1. Simply put, how fast the throttle is depressed is how fast the clutch is released.
    2. Although equal force is crucial, both the clutch and throttle pedal travel / force / bite point defers. One needs to determine where the pedal sweet spot is to achieve equal timing and force
  4. To determine where the clutch bite point is.
    1. Some people depress the clutch pedal entirely when shifting without taking into account the free space between zero and bite point. This gap will effect smoothness significantly.
    2. determine clutch bite point by releasing the clutch when in gear. Once determined, one should shift within the optimized clutch pedal travel.
I made a video from when I doing a warm up before my race qualifying. I hope it'll help anyone who wishes to improve their footwork

(please ignore the left foot braking scenes. It is generally not needed. This is a special case. The pads were new and I found the brakes in this altezza require some tapping to tighten the brakes before hard braking)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRdY9mWHqWo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You should use the AWD drive train but then decouple the front and make it RWD, that would be even more wild! :biggrin: You'll turn your VR into a drift machine! :driver:
Too costly, have to half cut the rear also....:rolleyes:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Good manual transmission drivers can minimize this sensation. The rate in which the car is accelerating fully determines their shift speed.

The sad thing is some drivers stick to that one way when operating the clutch and foot pedals. This often causes an unpleasant ride.

The trick is:

1. Do everything at the same time - clutch shift throttle
  2. It's mostly in the legs and foot pedals
  3. To use equal amounts of throttle and clutch
    1. Simply put, how fast the throttle is depressed is how fast the clutch is released.
    2. Although equal force is crucial, both the clutch and throttle pedal travel / force / bite point defers. One needs to determine where the pedal sweet spot is to achieve equal timing and force
  4. To determine where the clutch bite point is.
    1. Some people depress the clutch pedal entirely when shifting without taking into account the free space between zero and bite point. This gap will effect smoothness significantly.
    2. determine clutch bite point by releasing the clutch when in gear. Once determined, one should shift within the optimized clutch pedal travel.
I made a video from when I doing a warm up before my race qualifying. I hope it'll help anyone who wishes to improve their footwork

(please ignore the left foot braking scenes. It is generally not needed. This is a special case. The pads were new and I found the brakes in this altezza require some tapping to tighten the brakes before hard braking)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RRdY9mWHqWo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="700"></iframe>

Nice footwork and video but I noticed your left is always resting on the clutch pedal and never on the foot rest ya. Is there a specific reason?

Btw this is also another amazing footwork from the great Senna, heel & toeing and blipping the throttle using loafers in the NSX, at 1 point heel & toeing as if balancing the brake & the gas in the fast 130R. :driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ekbvjyr0g

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Nice footwork and video but I noticed your left is always resting on the clutch pedal and never on the foot rest ya. Is there a specific reason?

Btw this is also another amazing footwork from the great Senna, heel & toeing and blipping the throttle using loafers in the NSX, at 1 point heel & toeing as if balancing the brake & the gas in the fast 130R. :driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ekbvjyr0g
No real reasons to be honest, also depends on the car driven. It's also a choice perhaps. Come to think of it I hardly use the foot rest

Senna's video never ceases to amaze everytime I watch it

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No real reasons to be honest, also depends on the car driven. It's also a choice perhaps. Come to think of it I hardly use the foot rest

Senna's video never ceases to amaze everytime I watch it

If driving on highway or places that do not require gear change then can use foot rest, but in racing almost changing gear every now and then how to use foot rest.....lol:biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
If driving on highway or places that do not require gear change then can use foot rest, but in racing almost changing gear every now and then how to use foot rest.....lol:biggrin:
yeah although that is true, many drivers do use the foot rest actually. But like you said, I hardly find a reason to, maybe during the 2 straights at sepang that's it. Other drivers return their left foot to the rest everytime they are off the clutch, i consider it a preference

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Not really true, you look at that Senna's video, he always returned his left to the foot rest. If you like to watch Australian V8 Supercars, then they have many videos of their footwork and you can also see they still use the foot rest when not engaging the clutch. Even many rally drivers also still use the foot rest. I suppose like Tom said, just preference only then. I just worried if resting on the clutch all the time then will wear out the clutch faster but I suppose if already used to it hence the feel of the left foot is already very matched with the clutch pedal free play then should be no issue.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Impressive driving and shifting skills you have Tom. Do you drive a manual car daily? From what I know, you owned a Mini and a V12 BMW.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Not really true, you look at that Senna's video, he always returned his left to the foot rest. If you like to watch Australian V8 Supercars, then they have many videos of their footwork and you can also see they still use the foot rest when not engaging the clutch. Even many rally drivers also still use the foot rest. I suppose like Tom said, just preference only then. I just worried if resting on the clutch all the time then will wear out the clutch faster but I suppose if already used to it hence the feel of the left foot is already very matched with the clutch pedal free play then should be no issue.
I can't say if it would apply to all cars as of yet. Perhaps in GT or V8 Supercar platforms, one may need to consider the footrest not so much to rest the feet but a form of support for high G corners.

In my case, when racing in less extreme touring cars I don't find a need to leave the clutch pedal for now

It is still okay to gently rest on the clutch pedal since its not being activated. Race clutch are firmer as well.

Since we are on this topic, with reference from the tips I provided above on determining the bite point of the clutch.

if you noticed from my video there is a slight prod on the clutch pedal before initiating a shift. That's pre loading the clutch to reduce as much free gap as possible. I Hope this would help anyone to improve their footwork

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Impressive driving and shifting skills you have Tom. Do you drive a manual car daily? From what I know, you owned a Mini and a V12 BMW.
Thank you renesis. I used to drive a manual daily. It is still my first choice although these days the MINI is hibernating and is undergoing mild restoration.

I had a manual E30 and E34 BMW although the E34 has been converted to an automatic following the V12 conversion.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think my account have some problem. Whenever I am logged in to ZTH, I can't see other people's signature. But when I did not login, I can see it.
Thanks for the notification, let me give it a check

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

2009 Hummer H3T

The Hummer H3 lineup has been expanded to include a crew-cab pickup version of this rugged off-roader. The H3T is equipped with a 5-ft.-long cargo bed and a passenger compartment with four doors and five seating positions.

Slightly larger than most midsize SUTs in its class, but smaller than most full-size models, the H3T is offered with full-time four-wheel drive. The base engine is a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience