Restoration Progress of Soichiro Honda's Gem, 1965 Honda S600

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
well, one tip is that if you have to use strength, you're doing it wrong.. lol

Actually old parts have one benefit. they're made of better metals. I don't think you can strip threads that easily with them, unless they're fine threads.

Then again, these are old parts so usually have to have penetrating lubricant sprayed liberally, let them sit, then only start disassembly..

Even with new engines it's the same.. the current B series block is aluminium, and very easy to strip the threads if you tighten anything too tight.

Still, as with any project car, it's always a fight between "time to work" and "time to play"..

Not forgetting "money for living" vs "money for playing" .. :rofl:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well, sometimes force is a good thing, considering that it has collected 40 years of rust. also where the car was usually parked.

my takata belts were rusted, even that the belts were usually inside the car, it was because the sea salt water ate it. the car was usually parked in a mansion in tanjung tokong, next to the beach, so the car basically succumbed to sea water in the end of the day, thats why the car was so rusted inside out.

anyways, boot lock in!

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The fact that they lasted so long is a testament to how old cars are built vs new ones.. try put 90's malaysian car like that and see... you'd be lucky to be able to find the pieces of anything after 30-40 years.. lol

About the force thing, I used to think the same, till I broke a stud off trying to remove a cylinder head.. lol.. now if I can't turn it with my hands, I'll just spray it with penetrating lube rather than find a bigger wrench, lol...

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
you know, the honda n360 was a mini cooper competitor back in the heydays, ive read forumers on another honda forum that, the one of the forumers sister owned the car, rolled down off a small hill and the girl survived in it. if it was it a mini, perhaps it wouldnt be so lucky, mr honda made these cars beyond engineering reasonings and this cars, although only 720kg, are quite tough, mainly cos its metal all round.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Actually Soichiro Honda's legacy continues till today, even the modern engines honda makes are untouchable.. No one breaks the 200hp with just naturally aspirated 2litre engine until now. The K20A actually makes more than 200hp on engine, while it's nearest 2L competitor NEO VVL makes just a little under 200hp on engine, and these are not race engines!

And in fact, their domestic versions are actually overbuilt compared to export models. I'm using the japanese doors now, and their side impact bars are like 4 times the local model.

Then again, my project car isn't so new either.. have to wait 10-15 years and maybe it'll become a classic... or maybe not, if too many people are keeping it on the road, like the EF.. bugger that car was 1989s and many are still running around!.. LOL.

Actually noticed a lot of beautiful old school cars running around, but most people who are obsessed with new cars don't really appreciate the beauty of them. I remember spotting an impala and a Cadillac a long time ago and was awed by their design, which was not easily achieved during that era.. nowadays, with plastic and fluid forming, can make any shape. So there is less emphasis on the detail a worker puts in during the 50-60s era.

And actually I'm starting to hate the excessive introduction of electronics into cars, making them less of a driver's car.. A sign of the times I guess. EFI is a performance upgrade, so I'm not complaining, but the other new electronics like climate control/TCS/stability conrol etc.. might as well take a cab if I can't bother to learn the intricacies of driving a car and learn its quirks. lol.

Last edited:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
what about the 2 litre renault clio sport, does about the same on N/A too according to top gear. although undeniably, the F20c, does more than 200hp per litre, dont know why isnt the engine design copied over to a FF car, pretty sad!

haha well, have u read of this article, GQ.com's jamie kitman's slow car movement

The Most Iconic Slow Cars of All Time: Cars: GQ

go sell ur modern car and pick up an older one for fun !

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
I love your last line Kev, 'Sell your modern car and pick up an older one for fun' :burnout:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
what about the 2 litre renault clio sport, does about the same on N/A too according to top gear. although undeniably, the F20c, does more than 200hp per litre, dont know why isnt the engine design copied over to a FF car, pretty sad!

haha well, have u read of this article, GQ.com's jamie kitman's slow car movement

The Most Iconic Slow Cars of All Time: Cars: GQ

go sell ur modern car and pick up an older one for fun !
Lol, I happen to do a lot of long distance driving with my current project car so no.. lol

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
hahaha, umm, buy a cheap runner, like an old toyota ke, ud have so much fun in it :D FR for the works

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I love your last line Kev, 'Sell your modern car and pick up an older one for fun' :burnout:
actually thats what i did, sold the satria neo for this, i think its a good trade, lol

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
fitting the left and right light buckets after holes being welded, bucket resprayed and lights rims chromed

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

semi moon lamps and my customauto secret audio sst 3 hidden player :D

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
lol arturo, it will be a long while, all dependent on my mechanic, lol

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
my mechanic has taken out the engine and one of the valves has been jammed, hopefully he can fix that, damn, another delay!

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
my mechanics took out the jammed valve, turns out the culprit to be a screw that has been lodged inside , perhaps during a rebuilt by the last owner

heres the lil screw that my mechanic found. there are leaks on the manifold / engine gap, so i guess the gasket needs replacing. he has done a water flooding test and found leaks there

green bucket has valve and springs being soaked by petroleum

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear All please spread the news
My car was stolen on 24th nov 4.00 am infront of my house. The thief left a stolen satria in front of the house. The car was full of stolen goods. Anyone seen the car around please contact me:-

Make: Proton Satria 1.5
Color: Brownish Gray
Additional Info: Fitted with Gti Body kit, sport rim and tinted with grey black.
If found please call 017-6029630(Asif)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience