Replacing the alternator

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys,

My cars alternator IC is dying and so now I'm sourcing for a suitable replacement. Can anyone advise what's a good alternator brand to buy? What ampere?

Stock is 70A, some have recommended getting the 90A one but I have no idea what car uses 90A. Would this be the Perdana one? Plug and play into Wira?

Any brands, suggestions, ideas would be appreciated.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys,

My cars alternator IC is dying and so now I'm sourcing for a suitable replacement. Can anyone advise what's a good alternator brand to buy? What ampere?

Stock is 70A, some have recommended getting the 90A one but I have no idea what car uses 90A. Would this be the Perdana one? Plug and play into Wira?

Any brands, suggestions, ideas would be appreciated.
Have to get the one that fits, especially plug and play. Mounting points is the main issue.
My VR all this while tried chop shop ones, don't last. So have been using recon ones. Last one they could not find exact fit so spare part shop recommend Perdana ones. Seems plug and play with VR, only the electrical ports are at different place but since my wires were long enough have use that....

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
sorry for out-of-topic question... just want to clarify....
  1. can we upgrade current alternator output? for example 45A to 60A or even 70A?
  2. If can, is there any adverse impact on the said alternator?

Reason asking because my kancil's electrical capacity seems overwhelmed... for example during night with full aircon on and headlamps also on.. when I turned the steering (electrical power steeering from daihatsu mira)... the volt reading drops drastically (digital volt meter = flashing "0.0v")... at that time the steering felt sluggish and the headlamp dimmed... sometimes my cd player (no amps whatsoever) just turned off by itself and turn back on again

...oh! one more thing, I've upgraded my stock radiator fan motor to a more powerful one from hafkat, pomen says still came from daihatsu mira hafkat, but the fan now sounded like its coming from a car with bigger cc

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Papag : Sounds like your alternator is over stressed. You probably need an upgrade. Either that or your grounding points are gone.

My case turning on the signal indicator now resets my HU. WTF.

Oh and larger Amp alternator will just affect your cars performance to some extent. But a small upgrade like 70A to 90A isn't going to be a big deal. It's when you shoot more than 20% then you'll feel it.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Papag : Sounds like your alternator is over stressed. You probably need an upgrade. Either that or your grounding points are gone.

Oh and larger Amp alternator will just affect your cars performance to some extent. But a small upgrade like 70A to 90A isn't going to be a big deal. It's when you shoot more than 20% then you'll feel it.
thanks.... now I know why my pomen ask me whether I want to upgrade current grounding to a beefier cable, might as well listen to him and go on from there

now I just need to confirm the current alternator output... most says its around 40A.... if applying the 20% rule, I shouldn't maxed more than 50A if my math are correct :stoned:... if the upgraded grounding isn't doing any good, then proceed upgrade the alternator

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
iszo for your 4g1x car i think those perdana version can fit... 100A if not mistaken....

double check the mounting point first....

as for my car last time 4g92p....quite a headache......only available on 60A...lucky searching around found a good one from halfcut 4g93sohc auto..which is rated 90A...quite good and a decent upgrade for me....so now no more headlight dimming when a/c cut in+wiper on+radio on with power amp at night traffic jam....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Sure not wiring problem?:confused:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sure not wiring problem?:confused:
Yeah. It's confirmed not wiring problem. My HU is powered directly from the battery so if the alternator falters, the HU dies. And have checked a lot of other things.

Anyway, I just placed my order for a "new" recon 90A alternator. More power for my electronics. Hopefully this doesn't affect my cars performance. Will have a new DIY to post up soon.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah. It's confirmed not wiring problem. My HU is powered directly from the battery so if the alternator falters, the HU dies. And have checked a lot of other things.

Anyway, I just placed my order for a "new" recon 90A alternator. More power for my electronics. Hopefully this doesn't affect my cars performance. Will have a new DIY to post up soon.
For HU to reset means total power cut....:hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For HU to reset means total power cut....:hmmmm:
Not really. Say the alternator is dishing out 70A, the aircon is on, headlamps is on, wiper is on, HU is on (direct power from the battery) and suddenly the signal light is turned on. If the alternator is in good shape it'll be able to spread out the current whilst draining a bit from the other devices (dimming headlamp effect). If say the alternator is now just dishing out bare minimum current to the devices and you overload it, something will give. Aircon unlikely since it's belt driven as well, headlamps and dash lights the draw is probably negligible. Then the biggest draw would probably get cut off which in this case is my HU. And since my HU can't run at any current other than the base requirement, it'll shut down.

The most interesting thing about this is if I leave my blinkers on, the HU stays off. Once I switch off the blinkers (or something else) the HU comes back to life. And to make it worse, this is an intermittent problem so I rarely ever get to show it to my troubleshooter. Drexchan has only ever experienced it once out of the 4 times I've gone to see him about the issue.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Not really. Say the alternator is dishing out 70A, the aircon is on, headlamps is on, wiper is on, HU is on (direct power from the battery) and suddenly the signal light is turned on. If the alternator is in good shape it'll be able to spread out the current whilst draining a bit from the other devices (dimming headlamp effect). If say the alternator is now just dishing out bare minimum current to the devices and you overload it, something will give. Aircon unlikely since it's belt driven as well, headlamps and dash lights the draw is probably negligible. Then the biggest draw would probably get cut off which in this case is my HU. And since my HU can't run at any current other than the base requirement, it'll shut down.

The most interesting thing about this is if I leave my blinkers on, the HU stays off. Once I switch off the blinkers (or something else) the HU comes back to life. And to make it worse, this is an intermittent problem so I rarely ever get to show it to my troubleshooter. Drexchan has only ever experienced it once out of the 4 times I've gone to see him about the issue.

try on wiper+headlight+signal+a/c+audio at the same time and see if it still happens... :p

btw...bigger rating alternator not only gives good life for electrical device and battery life...but also improve engine performance a bit with better response...but not significant la...just barely improving it..especially if the car's electrical support not enough...the supply into ecu also not really stable......(same concept for the voltage stabilizer working) with great alternator current support....the supply to ecu should be more stable and makes it work better....then no need those voltage stabilizer apa capacitor bank or what... :adore:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Then shouldn't some power to come from the battery if the alternator is weak?

First time I hear of HU power off because of blinkers....:hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
try on wiper+headlight+signal+a/c+audio at the same time and see if it still happens... :p

btw...bigger rating alternator not only gives good life for electrical device and battery life...but also improve engine performance a bit with better response...but not significant la...just barely improving it..especially if the car's electrical support not enough...the supply into ecu also not really stable......(same concept for the voltage stabilizer working) with great alternator current support....the supply to ecu should be more stable and makes it work better....then no need those voltage stabilizer apa capacitor bank or what... :adore:
I've done a headlight (high light), air con full blast coldest setting, reverse gear engaged, HU, 3 amplifiers blasting techno song and wiper on test. Everything is ok and the light dims a little with the bass but that's it. When it works it works great. When it doesn't work, the blinkers will reset my HU. Freaking weird.

And this is the first time I've heard a bigger ampere alternator will improve car performance. I thought the bigger the ampere the heavier the alternator so more effort is needed do drive it? If more effort means parasitic drain on the engine power therefore less overall power no meh?

Then shouldn't some power to come from the battery if the alternator is weak?

First time I hear of HU power off because of blinkers....:hmmmm:
I dunno. When I test the battery with a battery tester it shows that it's in top condition. It's the first time I've ever heard blinker resetting HU too. You know me. I'm all for DIY but when it comes to problems I can't resolve I usually post in the forum

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've done a headlight (high light), air con full blast coldest setting, reverse gear engaged, HU, 3 amplifiers blasting techno song and wiper on test. Everything is ok and the light dims a little with the bass but that's it. When it works it works great. When it doesn't work, the blinkers will reset my HU. Freaking weird.

And this is the first time I've heard a bigger ampere alternator will improve car performance. I thought the bigger the ampere the heavier the alternator so more effort is needed do drive it? If more effort means parasitic drain on the engine power therefore less overall power no meh?

I dunno. When I test the battery with a battery tester it shows that it's in top condition. It's the first time I've ever heard blinker resetting HU too. You know me. I'm all for DIY but when it comes to problems I can't resolve I usually post in the forum
Not sure if the higher amp alternator will have significant drain on your engine power to drive it unlike a bigger air con compressor that is a lot heavier to drive.

Yup, asking in the forum is another way, unless one who had a similar problem that was fixed, but like you first time hearing about it, so cannot help....:rolleyes::smokin:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

i mean performance gain not that u can really feel it...at most highest gain maybe u can feel better engine respond accelerating from idle...or minor fc improve......especially for old car with unstable supply to ecu....

heavier to drive maybe...but really close to negligible la....only magnetic resistant in rotation..no mechanical load like a/c compressor like unker vr said :adore:

and yep me also pelik your problem...maybe u can re-check back your power supply taken from which relay/power source...especially for the switching on/off...not the main big power cable to amp/hu....(if not mistaken most audio got 2 power source....one that is always on for main source...another is pilot for switching it on/off

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,
anyone have the measurement for arc super induction box:hmmmm:...might wanna build 1 for 4G93.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Hi all,
anyone have the measurement for arc super induction box:hmmmm:...might wanna build 1 for 4G93.
attached in sketch drawing of own version

please help give idea...filter goin to use...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience