Regretted buying Conti-max-contact Mc5

mie84

Feb 7, 2014
Nilai
Newbie here. I changed my 1 and half year tyres yesterday and feels that the continental tyres is much worse than my stock CHAMPIRO BAX 2 tyres. :banghead: The lack of handling and grip is there when taking corners and there is a feeling that the car is floating when at high speed. However the new tyres is very quiet in terms of noise and and it can absorb worse road condition. Probably my biggest mistakes as it is my first time buying tyres. Need some feed back from fellow forummers. Can i trade in my tyres? What shop will do this? Any recommendation for better tyres, thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 and Michelin PS3. My tyre size is 205/55 R16.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What are you expecting from normal sedan MC5 tyres la?

Since the tyres are brand new, why not go back to the shop you bought it from and ask to see if you can upgrade to something better and have them trade in the "new" tyres for the new tyres?

Eagle F1 btw you might not enjoy since you're complaining about floating highspeed runs. PS3 is a surefire bet.

synail

Known Member
May 13, 2004
Visit site
Brand new tyres?
try give it 3-4 days for the new tyres to 'break in' 1st
orait

mie84

Feb 7, 2014
Nilai
What are you expecting from normal sedan MC5 tyres la?

Since the tyres are brand new, why not go back to the shop you bought it from and ask to see if you can upgrade to something better and have them trade in the "new" tyres for the new tyres?

Eagle F1 btw you might not enjoy since you're complaining about floating highspeed runs. PS3 is a surefire bet.
Aah my mistake not surveying first. I thought it is the UHP tyres. The tyre has soft side wall I think compare to my stock tyres. But after doing some research it is more to comfort.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Brand new tyres?
try give it 3-4 days for the new tyres to 'break in' 1st
orait
Ok will do that, thanks. Probably I also need to check the tyre pressure to make sure that it is not over inflated.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Conti MAX wor.. they market it like its a performance tyre. But let it scrub in for like 200kms first.. could be the residue from the mold still on the tyre.

When I first got my Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5, it was horrible as well. Aquaplanes, no confidence in wet. After breaking in its ok.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Aah my mistake not surveying first. I thought it is the UHP tyres. The tyre has soft side wall I think compare to my stock tyres. But after doing some research it is more to comfort.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Ok will do that, thanks. Probably I also need to check the tyre pressure to make sure that it is not over inflated.
If you feel floaty should not be over inflate. If you want to trade in, the shop will still take back but you will loose quite a lot.
Coming to Continental tyres, they have CCC, MC, CPC and CSC range and that is Comfort, Max, Premium and Sports range. MC5 seems is made for Asian market as you cannot find in EU market. Traction rating only A, you are better off with CPC2 range which have AA traction.
If you want some performance then better go for PS3 or GY F1D5 as the F1 Asy2 do not come in your size.
Since you are on Champiro BAX2, you can also go for the Champiro HPX which is UHP, but being directional like F1D5 it may be nosier when worn.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you feel floaty should not be over inflate. If you want to trade in, the shop will still take back but you will loose quite a lot.
Coming to Continental tyres, they have CCC, MC, CPC and CSC range and that is Comfort, Max, Premium and Sports range. MC5 seems is made for Asian market as you cannot find in EU market. Traction rating only A, you are better off with CPC2 range which have AA traction.
If you want some performance then better go for PS3 or GY F1D5 as the F1 Asy2 do not come in your size.
Since you are on Champiro BAX2, you can also go for the Champiro HPX which is UHP, but being directional like F1D5 it may be nosier when worn.
Too late for him, he already bought the MC5 and its installed. Changing tyre now he rugi 9 9

mie84

Feb 7, 2014
Nilai
Thanks bro for the advice. My mistake actually for not surveying first, was influenced by the seller. He said this is one is the highest range.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Yup, if not, then got to use them until cannot tahan....:biggrin:
Ya lor right now also cannot tahan already. Have to drive slow² and be very careful. Next probably I change to bigger 17 inch rim. That one also need advise from you guys in terms of what tyre size to use.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks bro for the advice. My mistake actually for not surveying first, was influenced by the seller. He said this is one is the highest range.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Ya lor right now also cannot tahan already. Have to drive slow² and be very careful. Next probably I change to bigger 17 inch rim. That one also need advise from you guys in terms of what tyre size to use.
Just curious, are you driving a Preve? Because not many OE uses the BAX2.
Tyre shop will always try to sell what they have or what makes the most $$$. I have friends call me up before going to the tyre shop. Then at tyre shop they say don't have then try to sell other brand to him, then they call me up for clarification. Tyre shop people also scratching head....hahaha:biggrin:

If you like UHP then yes going 17" will be much better and use size 215/45R17. Size very common and many many choices and prices are affordable....:driver:

mie84

Feb 7, 2014
Nilai
Just curious, are you driving a Preve? Because not many OE uses the BAX2.
Tyre shop will always try to sell what they have or what makes the most $$$. I have friends call me up before going to the tyre shop. Then at tyre shop they say don't have then try to sell other brand to him, then they call me up for clarification. Tyre shop people also scratching head....hahaha:biggrin:

If you like UHP then yes going 17" will be much better and use size 215/45R17. Size very common and many many choices and prices are affordable....:driver:
Yes driving preve. Very satisfied with my previous tyre although it is very bumpy, noisy and the ride is harsh but I feel confident when I take corners but not with this new tyre. I don't have any experience with other tyres so I can't comment. That day when change tyres also that shop ask me to change 17 rim, they said mine already 'gelong'. Not sure whether they're trying to con me or not. I don’t want to change cause they said will void warranty if change tyre size. Also interested in upsizing. Tried the new tyre size you gave and i input them in upsize calculator and the differences is -1%. What will i gain and lose with upsizing my tyres??

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes driving preve. Very satisfied with my previous tyre although it is very bumpy, noisy and the ride is harsh but I feel confident when I take corners but not with this new tyre. I don't have any experience with other tyres so I can't comment. That day when change tyres also that shop ask me to change 17 rim, they said mine already 'gelong'. Not sure whether they're trying to con me or not. I don’t want to change cause they said will void warranty if change tyre size. Also interested in upsizing. Tried the new tyre size you gave and i input them in upsize calculator and the differences is -1%. What will i gain and lose with upsizing my tyres??
Usually up sizing will mainly be for performance, then looks. With wider tyres more stability and traction, lower profile you get better handling, 17" and low profile your car looks better too.

The cons however with lower profile, your ride becomes more bumpy, trade off for better handling and performance.....:driver:

sengasdf

Known Member
Feb 18, 2007
Kajang
Was MC5 owner, just habis a set couple months back, am using F1D5 now. Initial thought it was better than CPC2(Using it before MC5) according to tyre shop owner, newer thread design blah blah blah. The reality it is no where better than CPC2 except noise and lifespan, and it is more expensive than CPC2. Wet traction tak boleh pakai, CPC2 can cut water out on high speed during heavy rain.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Was MC5 owner, just habis a set couple months back, am using F1D5 now. Initial thought it was better than CPC2(Using it before MC5) according to tyre shop owner, newer thread design blah blah blah. The reality it is no where better than CPC2 except noise and lifespan, and it is more expensive than CPC2. Wet traction tak boleh pakai, CPC2 can cut water out on high speed during heavy rain.
MC5 more quiet because the pattern is finer and grooves also smaller, therefore sure aquaplane easier also. CPC2 grooves are much bigger and tyre is rated traction AA...

mie84

Feb 7, 2014
Nilai
Wah that bad ke this tyre? Now I'm scared what will happen during rainy season. My stock tyres was quite good IMHO. Anyway i will give it a few days for the tyre to break in. Probably it is still new.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

let me share something that happend to me today...

one chinese guy around 35 years of age... in a waja (condition new) started staring at me when we stopped at the traFFic lite..

then the fu**er starts raming his engine like mad trying to ajak me to a race....

when the traffic lite went green he started to act crazy by spinning his tire...

i using a GSR by the time his car tire stopped spinning i already gave him 50 meter lead

then the fu**er came to the back and started kissing my...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience