Reducing road noise level for 225/45/18

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah UHP & Max category often overlapping/mixed together during comparison tests, like some say PS3 is Max but I think it's still UHP. One clear example of max category tire is the Michelin PSS coz it's rarely included in comparisons with the rest like PS3, F1, P Zero, Sportmaxx, CSC5 etc. To me I I don't really bother too much between max/UHP, as long as minimum classified in UHP category then that's my target to use, more than enough for my normal sedan and normal driving.
Actually F1 Asy2 and above, P Zero, Sportmaxx, CSC5 above are all in Max already. Yup, PS3 sometimes in UHP sometimes in Max, so somewhere in between....lol
Even like RE-003 sometimes UHP, sometimes Max....

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Then I guess max category is the limit to have good grip during wet? Actually, I'm still not too sure what tyre is categorized in max category. Heard before many from UHP, extreme but rarely max.
So, to conclude it, one can say that max is like a high end version of UHP tyres? Like perhaps Yokohama A-Drive R1 for UHP VS S-Drive for Max.
Yup, they came out with max for high end UHP, those that really measure up to dry and wet performance.
Yoko A-Drive R1 is HP only, S-Drive is UHP, Advan V105 is Max

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
S.Drive is also still firmly in UHP, not yet Max category.

Yeah maybe, I don't know.

I'm a very objective and straight forward person! I support anything that's good especially those which are value for money, and I'm not hesitant to say something is bad even though it comes from my own country! I support GT Radial though coz I've used them before and fine with it. I also support those branded tires but made in Indonesia coz I know they're just as good, maybe even more durable considering how bad the road conditions are over there.
It is good being objective and not biased. Perhaps that is why you can do well in Malaysia. So far I have only heard of two Indonesian brand which is GT Radial and Achilles.

Yup, they came out with max for high end UHP, those that really measure up to dry and wet performance.
Yoko A-Drive R1 is HP only, S-Drive is UHP, Advan V105 is Max
Never heard of Advan V105 before. Then where does Parada Spec 2 lies? Looks like these max tyres that you listed are not very commonly mentioned over here. Most tyres that people discuss here are either UHP or Extreme.

So, I guess to ensure good grip in all conditions on the road, the best one can go for will be max category?

Normally tyres without grooves are considered as above max already isn't it? Like R1R?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It is good being objective and not biased. Perhaps that is why you can do well in Malaysia. So far I have only heard of two Indonesian brand which is GT Radial and Achilles.

Never heard of Advan V105 before. Then where does Parada Spec 2 lies? Looks like these max tyres that you listed are not very commonly mentioned over here. Most tyres that people discuss here are either UHP or Extreme.

So, I guess to ensure good grip in all conditions on the road, the best one can go for will be max category?

Normally tyres without grooves are considered as above max already isn't it? Like R1R?
Achilles and GT Radial are represented here better so you know about them. There are other names like Accelera, Forceum, Neuton.
Most top tyres in every tyre manufacturer are Max performance category. Some have until UHP only then Extreme already so all depends.
Parada Spec 2 should be HP or UHP, but wet grip not too good.

Extreme need more rubber contact for extreme dry traction that is why it fares poorly in wet....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Achilles and GT Radial are represented here better so you know about them. There are other names like Accelera, Forceum, Neuton.
Most top tyres in every tyre manufacturer are Max performance category. Some have until UHP only then Extreme already so all depends.
Parada Spec 2 should be HP or UHP, but wet grip not too good.

Extreme need more rubber contact for extreme dry traction that is why it fares poorly in wet....:driver:
I just remembered one more. Corsa. Accelera I only got to know it recently from my relative's 275/30/19 on his 350Z. Forceum and Neuton, never heard before.

Do we have any extreme or semi slick tyres from our local brands like Silverstone, Sime Tyre?

I think wet grip depends on grooves to channel away water isn't it? Parada Spec 2 only has 1 groove... If so, then tyres like R1R certainly fares very poor in wet...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It is good being objective and not biased. Perhaps that is why you can do well in Malaysia. ...

Never heard of Advan V105 before. ...

Ok la, I'm doing enough just to get by in life, still very much struggling kuli.

Advan V105 is the second generation/improved Advan Sport (full name Advan Sport V105).

Yah above Max already starting to loose performance in the wet coz too focused on dry grip (extreme, then semi slicks, then slicks).

I think wet grip depends on grooves to channel away water isn't it? Parada Spec 2 only has 1 groove... If so, then tyres like R1R certainly fares very poor in wet...

Grooves and compounds as well. The grooves are mainly to channel out water and therefore to resist aquaplaning. But the compound also needs to stick on the wet surface if got no water puddles or once the water already channeled out. Wet performance got 2 aspects: aquaplanning resistance if in very wet/heavy rain with puddles, and also grip in the wet surface without puddles. PS3 is well known for the best in aquaplaning but not necessarily also the best for grip in the wet surface without puddles. CSC5 in the reviews has better grip than PS3 in the wet surface without puddles but PS3 has better aquaplaning resistance.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I just remembered one more. Corsa. Accelera I only got to know it recently from my relative's 275/30/19 on his 350Z. Forceum and Neuton, never heard before.

Do we have any extreme or semi slick tyres from our local brands like Silverstone, Sime Tyre?

Actually, Corsa is another brand under Achilles and Forceum is under Accelera.

Silverstone have semi slick called FTZ RR and slick is called FTZ Slick

R1R are extreme tyres so poor in the wet is nothing, as it will be more for dry track....:driver:

As explained by bro. 6UE5t, first we need grooves to channel water away, so that the rubber can contact the road surface (aquaplane resistance). How good your rubber compound, if the rubber cannot touch the road surface is of no use.....lol. Once the rubber can touch the road surface traction have to be in place that is where the compound comes in.....:driver:

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ok la, I'm doing enough just to get by in life, still very much struggling kuli.

Advan V105 is the second generation/improved Advan Sport (full name Advan Sport V105).

Yah above Max already starting to loose performance in the wet coz too focused on dry grip (extreme, then semi slicks, then slicks).

Grooves and compounds as well. The grooves are mainly to channel out water and therefore to resist aquaplaning. But the compound also needs to stick on the wet surface if got no water puddles or once the water already channeled out. Wet performance got 2 aspects: aquaplanning resistance if in very wet/heavy rain with puddles, and also grip in the wet surface without puddles. PS3 is well known for the best in aquaplaning but not necessarily also the best for grip in the wet surface without puddles. CSC5 in the reviews has better grip than PS3 in the wet surface without puddles but PS3 has better aquaplaning resistance.
Don't say that you are a kuli. For you to be able to own a Mark X, I think you are doing much better than many other Indonesians over here.

From the look of it, Advan V105 thread pattern kinda resembles Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Aquaplaning is the scary thing when it comes to driving on wet conditions. If between PS3 and CSC5, I think I'll be more inclined to go for PS3. By the way, is CSC5 more expensive than PS3?

Actually, Corsa is another brand under Achilles and Forceum is under Accelera.

Silverstone have semi slick called FTZ RR and slick is called FTZ Slick

R1R are extreme tyres so poor in the wet is nothing, as it will be more for dry track....:driver:

As explained by bro. 6UE5t, first we need grooves to channel water away, so that the rubber can contact the road surface (aquaplane resistance). How good your rubber compound, if the rubber cannot touch the road surface is of no use.....lol. Once the rubber can touch the road surface traction have to be in place that is where the compound comes in.....:driver:
I guess those Silverstone don't really have much good reviews? Rarely heard about them. The common semi slick that I tend to hear over here are R888, A050 and Z221.

Well, from what I heard (not sure is true or not), AD-08 can still do well in wet despite being an extreme tyre. Is that true? But if you ask me, I think R1R's thread pattern looks more aggressive and track inclined than AD-08.

So, aquaplaning resistance is a more important aspect than wet grip?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Don't say that you are a kuli. For you to be able to own a Mark X, I think you are doing much better than many other Indonesians over here.

From the look of it, Advan V105 thread pattern kinda resembles Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Aquaplaning is the scary thing when it comes to driving on wet conditions. If between PS3 and CSC5, I think I'll be more inclined to go for PS3. By the way, is CSC5 more expensive than PS3?

I guess those Silverstone don't really have much good reviews? Rarely heard about them. The common semi slick that I tend to hear over here are R888, A050 and Z221.

Well, from what I heard (not sure is true or not), AD-08 can still do well in wet despite being an extreme tyre. Is that true? But if you ask me, I think R1R's thread pattern looks more aggressive and track inclined than AD-08.

Most of the top tyres almost same pattern dy. PSS, PS3, CSC5, CSC6, Asy2, Asy3, V105, T-1Sports, Falken FK453, FK510...:biggrin:

CSC5 is like PSS category mah!

Aquaplaning resistance and compound go hand in hand. One without the other does not work well.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Old first gen Mark X and lower spec (not sport pack) version though.

Well both equally important depending on the driving conditions at hand. CSC5 might be marginally behind PS3 in aquaplaning resistance but again that's a small margin so it's still very good and better than like maybe 98% of tires out there! It's grip in the wet without puddles I'd say is excellent and predictable. For the size 225/50/17 that I use, I got a good deal of only rm500 all inclusive. I don't think you can get PS3 for that price about 9-10 mths ago but in general usually CSC5 is a bit more expensive. Very happy with it, probably the best tire I've used so far.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Most of the top tyres almost same pattern dy. PSS, PS3, CSC5, CSC6, Asy2, Asy3, V105, T-1Sports, Falken FK453, FK510...:biggrin:

CSC5 is like PSS category mah!

Aquaplaning resistance and compound go hand in hand. One without the other does not work well.....
These tyre threads looked more like tyres suited for cars who want grip and comfort at the same time instead distinct looking thread patterns like T1R, Parada Spec2...

Actually, soft compound is preferred over hard compound isn't it?

Old first gen Mark X and lower spec (not sport pack) version though.

Well both equally important depending on the driving conditions at hand. CSC5 might be marginally behind PS3 in aquaplaning resistance but again that's a small margin so it's still very good and better than like maybe 98% of tires out there! It's grip in the wet without puddles I'd say is excellent and predictable. For the size 225/50/17 that I use, I got a good deal of only rm500 all inclusive. I don't think you can get PS3 for that price about 9-10 mths ago but in general usually CSC5 is a bit more expensive. Very happy with it, probably the best tire I've used so far.
Doesn't matter which version of Mark X. Still not an easy car to take care of, I think. 2.5 litre V6 is not cheap on maintenance.

So, CSC5 performance is almost as good as PS3 then? How about on dry? I din't do much research on conti tyres because a few have been criticizing continental tyres over here.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
These tyre threads looked more like tyres suited for cars who want grip and comfort at the same time instead distinct looking thread patterns like T1R, Parada Spec2...

Doesn't matter which version of Mark X. Still not an easy car to take care of, I think. 2.5 litre V6 is not cheap on maintenance.

So, CSC5 performance is almost as good as PS3 then? How about on dry? I din't do much research on conti tyres because a few have been criticizing continental tyres over here.
Yes softer compound is preferred for better grip, but not too soft that it will be finished too fast like extreme or higher tires. Maybe tread wear rating around 200-350 is sufficient.

Maintenance is still very reasonable for a D-segment car, and luckily this car has been very reliable too.

Well maybe even better overall. Dry performance is excellent, very good grip and also predictable. Like I said, the best tire I've used so far in terms of performance but still not sure of durability though coz still <1 year using it. One thing I noticed also, this CSC5 has not yet chipped on me yet. Last time my F1-D5 was already starting to show some chipping by now. Anyway maybe need to wait another year or so to really verify.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

T1-R is directional and Parada Spec 2 pattern is rough

In Racing soft compound for wet and hard compound for dry. For daily use, manufacturer sort of come out with something in between, that is why got so many category for consumer to choose accordingly to their priorities..........lol:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes softer compound is preferred for better grip, but not too soft that it will be finished too fast like extreme or higher tires. Maybe tread wear rating around 200-350 is sufficient.

Maintenance is still very reasonable for a D-segment car, and luckily this car has been very reliable too.

Well maybe even better overall. Dry performance is excellent, very good grip and also predictable. Like I said, the best tire I've used so far in terms of performance but still not sure of durability though coz still <1 year using it. One thing I noticed also, this CSC5 has not yet chipped on me yet. Last time my F1-D5 was already starting to show some chipping by now. Anyway maybe need to wait another year or so to really verify.
Well, if the compound is too soft, it also means that the tarmac is also like sort of tearing away the rubber compound as you go. :biggrin:

Sounds like a really good tyre. You are using them on all four wheels?

T1-R is directional and Parada Spec 2 pattern is rough

In Racing soft compound for wet and hard compound for dry. For daily use, manufacturer sort of come out with something in between, that is why got so many category for consumer to choose accordingly to their priorities..........lol:biggrin:
Directional means you can't really rotate your tyres between left and right isn't it?

Oh, I thought softer is better as it grips? Isn't that the same for tyre air pressure? Higher pressure for lower rolling resistance while lower pressure for higher grip?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Directional means you can't really rotate your tyres between left and right isn't it?

Oh, I thought softer is better as it grips? Isn't that the same for tyre air pressure? Higher pressure for lower rolling resistance while lower pressure for higher grip?
You can rotate directional tyres left to right, but you have to pay more to un-mount them, flip them over, mount back then rotate....lol

Soft compound totally defers from air pressure loh! More air over inflate the tyres thereby less contact on the road. Less air under inflate center no contact will wear out shoulders....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I've been thinking that IF I go for a project car in perhaps 5-6 years and given the limited budget, what car would be a good choice and why?

I've been having pretty weird nightly dreams of driving my old Wira around, kinda shows how much I miss having a car I can properly enjoy.

Anyway, what would be your project car, budget breakdown and how would you go about project-ing it?

(Yes - this sounds very much like *another* one of those type of threads. Sorry la)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience