Recommendation for Stainless Steel braided hose

djandrew

Mar 7, 2018
Hi all sifu's, recently was surveying and collecting info about stainless steel braided hose, though of putting it on my myvi. i heard it will reduce some little sponginess feel on brake pedal is it true? something like reduce the travel distance of brake pedal can start feel the pressure of hard braking already? so far keep google around found them selling these 3 brands PRO-RS, IMPROVE, AROSPEED. does this braided hose safe for use, have any side effects or life taking when long term quality gets defected over time and burst leakage while driving? any of u guys using for long period already so far? any info or sharing is much appreciated guys.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I would recommend Superstreet. If you're looking to buying braided hoses, look for one that's sheathed and not exposed braid. And ultimately how it is installed will determine how well it'll last. My Improve braided hose was installed almost 10 years ago without any kinks or crimps and it's lasted this long without issues. Myvis don't have such high brake line pressure until it'll burst. Like I said it highly depends on the installer and their expertise.

If you're not sure and not comfortable with braided hoses, consider changing back to the original brand new rubber hoses. Brand new (original) hoses are stiff and strong enough to resist flexing/expanding (which causes the spongy feel) anyway. But if your car is less than 5 years old, you don't really need to touch these things.

Which Myvi are you driving? Depending on the model, there are known issues with Myvis weakass brakes. Flexing firewall where the brake servo/pump is sitting on, the master pump may need changing, crappy brake oil or worn out brake oil that needs changing, crappy brake pads, etc

There's a lot of possibilities to your spongy brake feel.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Can try cheaper option first, bleed the brake system and fit a good set of brake pads.....

djandrew

Mar 7, 2018
I would recommend Superstreet. If you're looking to buying braided hoses, look for one that's sheathed and not exposed braid. And ultimately how it is installed will determine how well it'll last. My Improve braided hose was installed almost 10 years ago without any kinks or crimps and it's lasted this long without issues. Myvis don't have such high brake line pressure until it'll burst. Like I said it highly depends on the installer and their expertise.

If you're not sure and not comfortable with braided hoses, consider changing back to the original brand new rubber hoses. Brand new (original) hoses are stiff and strong enough to resist flexing/expanding (which causes the spongy feel) anyway. But if your car is less than 5 years old, you don't really need to touch these things.

Which Myvi are you driving? Depending on the model, there are known issues with Myvis weakass brakes. Flexing firewall where the brake servo/pump is sitting on, the master pump may need changing, crappy brake oil or worn out brake oil that needs changing, crappy brake pads, etc

There's a lot of possibilities to your spongy brake feel.
thx for your reply Izso, my case is like this kinda complicated, recently last month my brake failed reason is master cylinder pump leakage so changed it to a new set. servo still same didn't touch so i not sure servo got problem or not. after that ok for 1 week and then the pedal starts to behave weird again sometimes keep sinking sometimes not sinking so headache, after that they did a bleeding again, after bleeding still the same problem brake sinking, then perodua service center changed my abs pump to a new set. so far still can feel spongy but not so serious. and i just changed my brake pad few days back bendix general ct (for your info my previous original brake pad haven't change before since first day, means 3 years already still left 50%) my driving pattern not heavy footer and gentle soft brake style, after change brakepad the full bite is better already but still can't eliminate the sponginess when applying middle pedal pressure crapy feel. my model is 2015 manual myvi icon blue, car age 3 years 3 months. u been using improve braided hose is it ok? im impressed last for 10 years wow. recently have survey it too they quote me improve braided hose price around rm386 with gst not include installation fees yet. im so confuse now wanna install this item or not. yes true very depends on the installer and expertise. any shop recommended? by the way i googled can't find any brand named superstreet, only have supercircuit, is it supercircuit brand u mean?

Last edited:

djandrew

Mar 7, 2018
Spongy usually is air bubbles in the system
ya me too suspect is air bubbles trap inside brake line but they did few times bleeding already still same, maybe my expectation of sponginess is too high lol. just curious now brake pedal travels until end around near 2 and half inches is it normal?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ya me too suspect is air bubbles trap inside brake line but they did few times bleeding already still same, maybe my expectation of sponginess is too high lol. just curious now brake pedal travels until end around near 2 and half inches is it normal?
Here is my experience.
Newly bled and fitted new pads, the brake pedal can feel slightly spongy, need time to bed it before the pedal feel becomes solid.
Distance the pedal goes down also depends on the size of the master pump cylinder. Like Wira they have 7/8, 15/16 and so on. The bigger they are, the less travel the pedal goes down but I am sure they fitted the OE size for you, so what distance was your old brakes?

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
the intermittent brake sponginess keep on occurred with my wira previously. Bleed many times.
Brake pad replaced too.
At the end replaced brake servo then settle.

for Steel braided hose, like izso said above. Steel braided thingy embedded in the rubber.
Can check Hel braided hose too.

djandrew

Mar 7, 2018
Here is my experience.
Newly bled and fitted new pads, the brake pedal can feel slightly spongy, need time to bed it before the pedal feel becomes solid.
Distance the pedal goes down also depends on the size of the master pump cylinder. Like Wira they have 7/8, 15/16 and so on. The bigger they are, the less travel the pedal goes down but I am sure they fitted the OE size for you, so what distance was your old brakes?
guess i just leave it first tho bed in etc, now my current pedal travel distance around 2 inches, my old brakes before all these happens i think roughly almost same distance but maybe just the difference is the tightness, no need press so hard can feel the mid pressure brake start to biting (holding more grip to the rotor) already. something like this feel.

djandrew

Mar 7, 2018
the intermittent brake sponginess keep on occurred with my wira previously. Bleed many times.
Brake pad replaced too.
At the end replaced brake servo then settle.

for Steel braided hose, like izso said above. Steel braided thingy embedded in the rubber.
Can check Hel braided hose too.
just came to know this brand HEL, googled their hose looks very premium.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Your car still under warranty? Get Perodua to fix it, don't mod it. Else they will blame the mod. From the description I doubt it has anything to do with the hoses. The hose, braided or not won't give such a drastic difference.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I don't know if Pro RS is still in business but they were popular in the 2000s. I had it in my E30 and no complaints. As for how much steel braided hoses improve brake feel, it really depends on your car. I would recommend getting your existing system spot on before embarking on aftermarket hoses.

I found this thread on steel braided hoses and Pro-RS, hope it helps:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums...over-to-pro-rs-ss-braided-brake-hoses.191326/

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thx for your reply Izso, my case is like this kinda complicated, recently last month my brake failed reason is master cylinder pump leakage so changed it to a new set. servo still same didn't touch so i not sure servo got problem or not. after that ok for 1 week and then the pedal starts to behave weird again sometimes keep sinking sometimes not sinking so headache, after that they did a bleeding again, after bleeding still the same problem brake sinking, then perodua service center changed my abs pump to a new set. so far still can feel spongy but not so serious. and i just changed my brake pad few days back bendix general ct (for your info my previous original brake pad haven't change before since first day, means 3 years already still left 50%) my driving pattern not heavy footer and gentle soft brake style, after change brakepad the full bite is better already but still can't eliminate the sponginess when applying middle pedal pressure crapy feel. my model is 2015 manual myvi icon blue, car age 3 years 3 months. u been using improve braided hose is it ok? im impressed last for 10 years wow. recently have survey it too they quote me improve braided hose price around rm386 with gst not include installation fees yet. im so confuse now wanna install this item or not. yes true very depends on the installer and expertise. any shop recommended? by the way i googled can't find any brand named superstreet, only have supercircuit, is it supercircuit brand u mean?
Whoops.. SuperCircuit yes correct.

It sounds like your installation is screwed up. Did they bleed the ABS pump a well? That needs the computer thingy to engage ABS to bleed it. Cylinder, Servo, ABS pump - these things need to be bled once you take it out. This kind of spongy feel has nothing to do with the brake hoses.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
guess i just leave it first tho bed in etc, now my current pedal travel distance around 2 inches, my old brakes before all these happens i think roughly almost same distance but maybe just the difference is the tightness, no need press so hard can feel the mid pressure brake start to biting (holding more grip to the rotor) already. something like this feel.
From your reply I guess is the pads are not bedded in yet since you mentioned travel about the same minus the bite

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Whoops.. SuperCircuit yes correct.

It sounds like your installation is screwed up. Did they bleed the ABS pump a well? That needs the computer thingy to engage ABS to bleed it. Cylinder, Servo, ABS pump - these things need to be bled once you take it out. This kind of spongy feel has nothing to do with the brake hoses.
That is one very important point. ABS pump need computer to do the bleeding.Normal bleeding wont remove air bubble as the pump is not operating.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

yo guys and dudes here.....did LMST got any bodykit out there?

cause my friend kiss a wira.....plastic bumper dent in and inside the steel bar kemek in......quotation for repair it.....RM80

he said the plastic have to heat it up and reshape.....

i don think is worth it......beside that his right corner bumper also already crack due to last time minor-minor accident.

so guys here.....where can get any front bumper bodykit for LMST? thanks! and how much
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience