Rear drums doesn't even slow down the car

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Guys, I am driving a Proton Persona Elegance.
Do you guys have any idea how to take out the hub?
I probably know how to adjust the drums but don't know to access the internals.
And also would like to clean it.
I have only seen other popular cars.
Not sure about my car myself. Don't dare to touch it if without any experienced guidance.
Thanks.

2003-2007 Honda Accord Brake drums clean and adjust - YouTube

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I don't dare DIYing my brakes.. Let d pro do it..

Its 4 ur own safety..

U can learn by watching them do it though :biggrin:

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
I don't dare DIYing my brakes.. Let d pro do it..

Its 4 ur own safety..

U can learn by watching them do it though :biggrin:
True also, but if he know the things go should be no problem.

No weh. Mine drum. Sad. Can u lock your's?
u mean lock the rear wheel?
i can;t lock it at the moment.
Didnt know can adjust at the drum part also. :rofl:

Before removing the hub, got screw need to remove.
If u cant loosen the screw, u need a screwdriver that can be hammered.

After that jus hammered the hub, it will loosen.

Before that , u need to put in gear 1 first then release the handbrake to avoid the car move forward.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
True also, but if he know the things go should be no problem.

u mean lock the rear wheel?
i can;t lock it at the moment.
Didnt know can adjust at the drum part also. :rofl:

Before removing the hub, got screw need to remove.
If u cant loosen the screw, u need a screwdriver that can be hammered.

After that jus hammered the hub, it will loosen.

Before that , u need to put in gear 1 first then release the handbrake to avoid the car move forward.
Ah. I have an autobox hahaha. Put P.
Okay shall try tomorrow.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Ah. I have an autobox hahaha. Put P.
Okay shall try tomorrow.
Ya,

1. Loosen Lug nut a bit first. ( Abit only ah )
2. Put in P gear and push the car to the front to be sure it cant move.
3. Release handbrake.
4. Jack up the car and remove wheels.

5. Look at the purple arrow screw.
If u feel hard to remove it, u need an impact screw driver to remove it.
Google it how to use or search in youtube.
Up to u if u want to buy good one or cheap ones.

6. Hammer a bit on the side of the hub.
It should be loose when u hammer up down side left.
If it doesnt loosen means u didnt release the handbrake.:rofl:

7. U want to adjust the black color arrow one ah?:hmmmm:
I should try next month see, No wonder my brake no makan. :banghead:
Make sure no friction between the hub and brake when u install it.
Trial and error like the video u posted.:burnout:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Ya,

1. Loosen Lug nut a bit first. ( Abit only ah )
2. Put in P gear and push the car to the front to be sure it cant move.
3. Release handbrake.
4. Jack up the car and remove wheels.

5. Look at the purple arrow screw.
If u feel hard to remove it, u need an impact screw driver to remove it.
Google it how to use or search in youtube.
Up to u if u want to buy good one or cheap ones.

6. Hammer a bit on the side of the hub.
It should be loose when u hammer up down side left.
If it doesnt loosen means u didnt release the handbrake.:rofl:

7. U want to adjust the black color arrow one ah?:hmmmm:
I should try next month see, No wonder my brake no makan. :banghead:
Make sure no friction between the hub and brake when u install it.
Trial and error like the video u posted.:burnout:
Oh, what I learnt is drum brakes have some, just some restrictions.
If it doesn't, means the drum shoe worn abit over the time.
Don't forgot to adjust left and right ah.

Are those your pics?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Rear hub removal is a mega pain in the ass. Need a soft impact hammer. Those hard steel ones might dent your hub if you don't know how to knock it. All the years of brake dust caked in will make it hard to remove and make sure you wear a mask. There will be shitloads of brakedust and that's highly toxic.

Adjusting the drums probably won't be necessary. Once you get the hub open do a visual inspection of the hydraulic thingy (I don't know what its called). Mine was leaking back then when I still had drum so it wouldn't bite much because of that. And after 5 years of handbraking, the drum itself was already worn out. So just changing to a new thicker drum brake pad made a world of difference.

Warning though, first timers will take minimally 2 hours to remove the damn drum set and 4 hours putting it back. Everything is really fitting and tight so you'll need a good long nose plier, c-clip remover tool (not necessary if your long nose skills is good) and a good cleaning agent.

Clean of all the dust and brush it super clean before attempting to remove. Easier to see what you're doing that way. And make sure it's dry before removing too.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
From my experience, I realised my kelisa brakes wasnt biting much 1 day, gave me a shock a few times where it suppose to brake normally at that distance and this time I had to quickly step more on the brakes to stop. Almost got into accident.

Which is why they said never stop a car too close to another car in front...:banghead: Now I get the reason. Brake power deteriorated.

Went and check, my mini pumps in the drums is not that good anymore, got leakage of brake fluids.
Got it change then now better. Even request the mech to wash the brake drums for me. Clean and nice after that.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Rear hub removal is a mega pain in the ass. Need a soft impact hammer. Those hard steel ones might dent your hub if you don't know how to knock it. All the years of brake dust caked in will make it hard to remove and make sure you wear a mask. There will be shitloads of brakedust and that's highly toxic.

Adjusting the drums probably won't be necessary. Once you get the hub open do a visual inspection of the hydraulic thingy (I don't know what its called). Mine was leaking back then when I still had drum so it wouldn't bite much because of that. And after 5 years of handbraking, the drum itself was already worn out. So just changing to a new thicker drum brake pad made a world of difference.

Warning though, first timers will take minimally 2 hours to remove the damn drum set and 4 hours putting it back. Everything is really fitting and tight so you'll need a good long nose plier, c-clip remover tool (not necessary if your long nose skills is good) and a good cleaning agent.

Clean of all the dust and brush it super clean before attempting to remove. Easier to see what you're doing that way. And make sure it's dry before removing too.
The mini thing (SF call it) or hydraulic thing is the brake cylinder. Usually is the o ring inside the piston that fail or the rubber boot tear up that covers the piston internal. Adjusting is only needed if the linings have become thinner and the no. of click on your hand brake increase. For drum brakes users, your hand brake can roughly tell you how much your rear lining still have...more clicks mean the lining need to move further to come in contact with the hub. Usually 4 to 5 clicks is just nice....if 7 above, you need to check your rear lining for wear and if they are thick but they click is more then just readjust the lining against the hub via the back of the brake assembly.

The hub is made from cast iron so knocking it with a hammer won't dent it but would literally crack it into half or a chunk might just crack and broke away from the main piece. Best way to remove the hub, after removing the 2 philip screw with an impact screw driver, take a bolt that is the same size as the philips screw but with a much longer body drive it into the same hole where the philips screw was....this will force the hub to come out bit by bit until it totally come loose some cars drum will come with an empty bolt hole that's where you stick the bolt in. If you insist on using a hammer. try placing a piece of old rag over the hub. No need to hold the rag just totally cover the hub and slowly start to hammer it in a circular motion....you don't keep hitting the same spot over and over again. This will also make the hub come loose also.

For beginners, it might take a while but for seasoned guys, 10~15 mins can take out already.

If you plan on changing the lining yourself, well taking out the spring and fitting them back will be quite a challenge even for me...you will need some strong arm muscle and need to DIY a spring hook a strong one is a must so that it allow you to remove the 2 springs holding the lining together and then putting the spring back into the small opening on the lining base. This one needs patience to do and I swear you gonna sweat and keep cursing when you try to doing the spring....I know because I've did it....just be careful with the spring as it is very strong and most of the time it will fly quite far if it get loose from the spring removal tool. For safety wear a goggle. I kena my right eye brow before....bengkak and bleeding.

Happy trying...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The mini thing (SF call it) or hydraulic thing is the brake cylinder. Usually is the o ring inside the piston that fail or the rubber boot tear up that covers the piston internal. Adjusting is only needed if the linings have become thinner and the no. of click on your hand brake increase. For drum brakes users, your hand brake can roughly tell you how much your rear lining still have...more clicks mean the lining need to move further to come in contact with the hub. Usually 4 to 5 clicks is just nice....if 7 above, you need to check your rear lining for wear and if they are thick but they click is more then just readjust the lining against the hub via the back of the brake assembly.
Bro. TR, the handbrakes activate the brake lining from one end and the foot braking activates at the mini brake cylinder end. If hand brake click goes higher can also adjust from brake console in the passenger compartment but that one got limit. Best to adjust from mini brake cylinder end to evenly use up the brake lining...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Open advertising markets overseas makes for very interesting viewing especially in regards to automotive ads. For one thing, it definitely adds some spice compared to the local ads we get with a certain car going up against the dreaded ‘Competitor-X.’

The last major one we saw ended with Mini being handed their petite ass’s on a fine piece of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience