RD1 Plastic/ rubber sound

king_jamez

500 RPM
Apr 13, 2007
hey guys...i know this thread has been for a while now...but i just got my coupe n it's having the exact same rattling sound which annoys me to the max...tested by a few person n they all said it's from the cabin not the suspension...it kinda sound like the plasticky vibrating/rattling sound everytime i go on uneven pavement...i read thru the thread n u guys was mentioning bout the hock or rear hinge? where exactly is that? the rear board i check is not making any sound...just feel like taking everything out n assemble it again just to rectify the rattling sound...there's some noise from the front dashboard but it's acceptable considering it's made of plastic and the age...help me out pls! am enjoying the car except the noise and the crazy fuel consumption...hopefully after all the oil change fc would be better or else i'm gonna die!!

Last edited:

tiburonshrk

Known Member
Mar 6, 2006
There are a couple of things to take note. First of all, figure out is the sound coming from the board behind. Normally on the both side of the board, there is a hard spongy thing for the boot to compress on it and it holds the board. Normally, it is insufficient. Which is why, I have added a sponge using a velcro strap to strap it on both side, and this holds the board down.

2nd, remove your board, take note that your board is held together on both ends by a small latch or a cylindrical assembly. Due to the plastic nature and the point of contact, you may want to wrap it up with some sponge (it doesn't last long) or some sound absorbance pad. This way when you put fix down your board onto the latch, it doesn't vibrate and cause sound.

3rd, after you place your board in, when the board is in place, before you close your boot, just take a look at both left and right. The board should sit nicely within the groove of the back. Well, you can have some padding there as well as original padding is not good.

That settles all issue from the board.

4th, just make sure the assembly at the rear trunk are all proper and in. As the car has aged, it is no suprise that the screw holes are damaged. If you intend to remove the assembly and check, becareful as the brittle plastic screw holes may crack when you try to assemble them together again. Mainly check for any misalignment of assembly as, if any of this part is not installed correctly, it will cause friction and sound.

My advice is, get someone to ride along with you, and he/she will detect where the sound comes from. If you hear it during driving, you can never pinpoint the exact location as the sound bounce off and may assume it comes from other place. I used to do this with my brother.

I dynamat my whole car, basically trunk, doors, roof, and going for tyre compartment (already bought but no time to do). This helps to reduce the sound a lot but you may then get irritated with other very soft sound which you never experience before. It goes on and on.

Good Luck trying

king_jamez

500 RPM
Apr 13, 2007
thanks tiburonshrk....managed to get rid of the annoying rattle sound from the trunk already...it was the plastic panel located beside the trunk lid where the rear windscreen is...the clip that secures the plastic panel to the trunk lid is broken probably when the paintshop guys are tearing the car down for painting...temporarily taped it wit duct tape and the noise is gone...looks ugly but at least i dun get the annoying sound anymore...will find ways to make it less ugly...xD

Feb 4, 2012
selangor
Guys..I think I manage to settle rear noise sound problem by your guidance..but my dashboard also emit this irritant noise..i can se that the connection is loose, what can i do..silicone may help?

thanks guy

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Motorheads everywhere must be salivating after seeing the Super GT Nissan Latio by Edaran Tan Chong Motor (ETCM) recently at the 2007 Super GT Malaysia. To successfully modify any car...

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience