RB20det and E34 520

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
Hi guys im planning to get a combo as per the title. its manual tranny. not for race or anything since im unable to get 6a12TT, i guess a straight 6 with snail will be good as well.

initially targetting E39 but the stock power not so enough for me plus higher road tax(mostly 2.5) so have to settle with E34.

2 main things in my mind, that is the replacement part for the car and the engine itself.. and by the way, i dont know if the engine is taken from skyline or other model. is there anything that i should look for i.e different code, different rocker cover etc?

finally the pros and cons for the car and engine.. i believe most will ask me to get 1jz or rb25det or sr20, well for me,cheaper roadtax on 2.0 and straight 6 nice noise.hehe.

the main concern is power and comfort, as i do 40% hillclimb and highway, the rest town drive.im going to view the car by monday morning, hence will appreciate all sifu to shower me with some knowledge,what i need to look or hear for during checking of car and engine.and another thing, will the chassis not so nice due to additional power ie bended or not alligned ? appreciate all constructive advice and comments

again, tq in advance! cheers

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
Not yet bro, now in the process of acquiring the car, albeit older, as most of the garage around doesnt want to do up rb20det with newer E39 >.<

test drive the rb20det with 520i, can say comfort and power is there. but, still alot to do for the interior as its 20+ y\o car, plus the maintenance on the engine before looking to make more power.

Got some Qs on the name changing procedure, my understanding is bring the car to Puspakom for checking and then to JPJ for change name right, then to get the Insurance.
Is it necessary for me to be at Puspakom during checking as myself down South and the car up North, and for JPJ part, if u know someone there, they can have the document done even without new owner present. and lastly, i can only drive back and acquire the insurance then, or it must be done beforehand?

had checked with few source, and get few answers... confusing..

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
ahh by the way since its a halfcut, the dashboard from R32 been thrown in, and the center part between the handbrake and gear (is it called center console?) been 'cut' into 2 section consisting bmw part on the handbrake part and R32 from the gear stick with the dashboard, which is ugly sight. Any1 know how if those cushion shop etc can settle the mess? custom made etc which can erase the ugly things out.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

i've enquired from some garage, that throwing in rb20 into bmw chasis require mounting modification,and other stuff i.e drivetrain etc which im not sure in order for it to run, but aint mounting mod is banned by JPJ?

dont want have a headache too much when i already acquired such frankenstien and prob with selling it off later..

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
Not yet bro, now in the process of acquiring the car, albeit older, as most of the garage around doesnt want to do up rb20det with newer E39 >.<

test drive the rb20det with 520i, can say comfort and power is there. but, still alot to do for the interior as its 20+ y\o car, plus the maintenance on the engine before looking to make more power.

Got some Qs on the name changing procedure, my understanding is bring the car to Puspakom for checking and then to JPJ for change name right, then to get the Insurance.
Is it necessary for me to be at Puspakom during checking as myself down South and the car up North, and for JPJ part, if u know someone there, they can have the document done even without new owner present. and lastly, i can only drive back and acquire the insurance then, or it must be done beforehand?

had checked with few source, and get few answers... confusing..
ahh by the way since its a halfcut, the dashboard from R32 been thrown in, and the center part between the handbrake and gear (is it called center console?) been 'cut' into 2 section consisting bmw part on the handbrake part and R32 from the gear stick with the dashboard, which is ugly sight. Any1 know how if those cushion shop etc can settle the mess? custom made etc which can erase the ugly things out.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

i've enquired from some garage, that throwing in rb20 into bmw chasis require mounting modification,and other stuff i.e drivetrain etc which im not sure in order for it to run, but aint mounting mod is banned by JPJ?

dont want have a headache too much when i already acquired such frankenstien and prob with selling it off later..
just sharing some general stuff that i know la.

1) for name changing process, have to do Puspakom inspection for the car, bring the geran (anyone can do). then u have to do insurance for the car (anyone can do). then only can do name change at Puspakom, bring all documents (new and old owner must be present to sign document - at any JPJ can). just to make sure, call JPJ hotline.

2) maybe it just require moounting bracket mod, not the mounting point. mounting bracket can be modded but must have JPJ approval (coz got no mounting bracket for the engine...). if the mod is illegal, u will fail the Puspakom inspection, just dont buy the car la..

3) any interior mod can be done by accessories shop or cushion shop. they can touch up or even do new dashboard for u. the only problem is money la.. hehe..

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
for point#2, the buyer not willing to let me bring the car to JPJ my area, as myself is worried if that time when he get the car endorsed involved bawah meja stuff. i rather have it clean to avoid much problem later.

for the interior, i've sent the pic to the shop, now wait if they able to gif me any good price quotation. Understand that they might use those plywood material to construct it and if fiber comes into discussion, the cost might be higher >.< prefer to keep the cost down as my taikor (baby) just arrived:biggrin:

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
for point#2, the buyer not willing to let me bring the car to JPJ my area, as myself is worried if that time when he get the car endorsed involved bawah meja stuff. i rather have it clean to avoid much problem later.

for the interior, i've sent the pic to the shop, now wait if they able to gif me any good price quotation. Understand that they might use those plywood material to construct it and if fiber comes into discussion, the cost might be higher >.< prefer to keep the cost down as my taikor (baby) just arrived:biggrin:
why the seller dont want u to take the car for inspection urself?
if too much hassle, leave it la.. find other car..

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
if im driving it to check at my convenience it will take 2 3 days, which he not really ok in handing over the car, and im not going to pay anything major in things that not yet verified ok :biggrin:

im intended to plant rb20det into e36 318 e39 523 or ceffy a32, which at the moment no workshop around ipoh that i've went agreed to acept the job. the original engine just dont have enough kick especially going uphill, i.e genting etc.

i really wonder, is it a 'major' job in plonking rb20 into those chassis and get it endorsed legally?

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
if im driving it to check at my convenience it will take 2 3 days, which he not really ok in handing over the car, and im not going to pay anything major in things that not yet verified ok :biggrin:

im intended to plant rb20det into e36 318 e39 523 or ceffy a32, which at the moment no workshop around ipoh that i've went agreed to acept the job. the original engine just dont have enough kick especially going uphill, i.e genting etc.

i really wonder, is it a 'major' job in plonking rb20 into those chassis and get it endorsed legally?
oh. i think becoz u need 2-3 days is the drawback. which the owner afraid u take advantage of it and hilang.. hehe..
coz if the car hilang with u, the owner might not get any insurance cover coz he voluntarily give it to u...

for RB20 engine transplant, i honestly do not know.. but i think any can do. Msia Boleh...
just u have to do it in KL la if Ipoh's workshop wont do it..

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
yeap, true that we M'sian is totally capable of handling all the rojak stuff, just im pondering on the durability as i heard some parts need to be welded with the existing part (if i rmbr is the propeller shaft).

KL,im alien to that place not to mention any reliable and trusted workshop.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Any of you guys know how to get rid of the problem when u put down your handbrake your handbrake light is still on or not? I always get this ... could it be not enough brake oil?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience