rattling sound when releasing clutch

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I'm having this problem for sometime in my evo 3, in complete standstill ,engage first gear then when releasing the clutch and the car about to move , there's a rattling soung , like metal to metal (tak tak tak), first I thought wheel bearing but after replacing it , still got the sound, dunno whether its clutch release bearing or maybe flywheel. Anybody got experience this before?,tq

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Hi guys,

I'm having this problem for sometime in my evo 3, in complete standstill ,engage first gear then when releasing the clutch and the car about to move , there's a rattling soung , like metal to metal (tak tak tak), first I thought wheel bearing but after replacing it , still got the sound, dunno whether its clutch release bearing or maybe flywheel. Anybody got experience this before?,tq
this is rare but it does happen.the spring on the pressure plate broke and causes rattling sound.
however it can be random,sometines during neutral and sometime in gear.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys,

Where is the sound coming from? because you suspect clutch but went and repair wheel bearing. Totally different area?
I had clutch release bearing problem before but my problem was it made noise when stepping on the clutch. This is because when stepping on the clutch the release bearing is in use. When release the clutch attached back to pressure plate.
Can it be the clutch plate? probably need to open up to check....:hmmmm:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Where is the sound coming from? because you suspect clutch but went and repair wheel bearing. Totally different area?
I had clutch release bearing problem before but my problem was it made noise when stepping on the clutch. This is because when stepping on the clutch the release bearing is in use. When release the clutch attached back to pressure plate.
Can it be the clutch plate? probably need to open up to check....:hmmmm:
When I open the hood (facing the engine)..the sound is coming from the left Hand side near the gearbox area. Yup might be the clutch plate also. The sound is really irritating.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
When I open the hood (facing the engine)..the sound is coming from the left Hand side near the gearbox area. Yup might be the clutch plate also. The sound is really irritating.
After reading your post again, should not be wheel bearing because you mention starting to move, so should be something in the GB. Need to open up and check.....

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes bro..semi lsd

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Is there any chance it might be the gearbox mounting, If I'm not mistaken, this sound started when I accidentally enter a large pothole , it hit my gearbox abit .

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Just brought the car to my mechanic...he told the sound maybe from the full lock place...my gearbox is 4wd full lock to 2wd...he told maybe the welding area..if welding only won't cause much...but if the bearing problem ..then will be costly...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Just brought the car to my mechanic...he told the sound maybe from the full lock place...my gearbox is 4wd full lock to 2wd...he told maybe the welding area..if welding only won't cause much...but if the bearing problem ..then will be costly...
You means the welding to lock from 4WD to 2WD? If that weld comes loose, you will loose power. Mine came off once before.....:bawling:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
You means the welding to lock from 4WD to 2WD? If that weld comes loose, you will loose power. Mine came off once before.....:bawling:
Correct the welding to lock 4wd to 2wd...bro did you welding back after your want came off?...how much was the cost?..

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Correct the welding to lock 4wd to 2wd...bro did you welding back after your want came off?...how much was the cost?..
Yup, mechanic took out GB send for re-weld. Sorry, cannot remember the amount I paid as it was quite some time ago (quite a few years). Anyway, when became loose just lost of power, no grinding or rattling sound....

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
mine used to have grinding sound when releasing clutch, the culprit was the gbox bearing, had a hard time
finding the bearings for my 6a12tt gbox, finally opt for evo2 gear internals, shorter ratio though.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
Can I ask where can I get more reasonable and cheaper price to fix my tensioner pulley in KL/PJ?
Low budget eh... :(

The tensioner pulley changed before and currently I clocked about 185k mileage already.
current symptoms I'm having is that, power steering getting heavy, rpm unstable during trafic jams when press and de-press the clutch.
last time i kena before, the auxiliary belt putus because the tensioner's pulley worn out and jam, these were symptoms as well. so this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience