Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I'm what you'd call a car enthusiast. I'm knowledgeable enough to not be conned by dishonest shops and I am absolutely nuts about cars. However I'm not rich enough to modify my car to the extents of a certain bright orange Supra nor am I interested in repairs caused by accidents or worn parts caused by circuit racing / drifting / GRA.

So I'm just a 'normal' enthusiast.

My car isn't overly extreme but it's that much better than stock because of my enthusiasm. Lots of DIYs and plenty of hits and misses resulted in my Wira the way it is today.

So when I first heard about Speedhunters Spoon Rigid Collar install, I was excited. Something as simple and small as a rigid collar could deliver that much performance? My enthusiasm went into overdrive and I contacted several metal works friends to see if they were interested in doing something like this, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

If you don't know what I'm talking about and want to know what a 'Rigid Collar' is, have a look at the Spoon Youtube channel that explains in english what the Rigid Collar is all about.

Essentially what the collar does is fill up the manufacturers tolerances when mass producing the cross members. Bolted down, the cross members aren't bolted down linearly because of uneven gaps or larger gaps in the bolt holes (see the Youtube for a clearer picture). Because of this unevenness, the cross member has some free play or isn't properly aligned causing some steering unevenness or some other alignment related problems. It's not significant enough (the problems) for the manufacturer to mass produce these holes precisely down to the last millimeter so manufacturers label these issues as "acceptable tolerances". Having said that though, some newer cars have built-in mechanisms or control items that do address these 'issues'. In my case I've never really been able to properly set the alignment in my car and it has always swayed to the left. Not by much but enough to be irritating since I have to constantly correct the steering input.

Let me explain in detail : A cross member allows a car suspension to maximize the contact between the tyres and the road surface. This in turn provides steering stability with good handling. It supports the body of the car by compressing and rebounding with every up-and-down movement. Misaligned cross member give a rough choppy ride to the passengers. This is very apparent with a damaged cross member. You can easily wreck one by incorrectly jacking it up, pot holes, accidents, etc.

My unfortunate story is I had a 20km/h accident where my car slid on a damp surface (goddamn tyres!) and whacked an island smack parallel with my wheel. This destroyed one absorber, bent the drive shaft, ruined the power steering rack and bent the cross member. This was at 20km/h!! Anyway, DIY replacing the cross member is no fun so if you ever get a rigid collar installed, get it done at a knowledgeable mechanic!

Unless you can bench press 80kg (I think) with one hand, use power tools with another and grow an extra hand to wipe the dropping dirt from the undercarriage off your face - it's no fun DIY-ing a cross member change.

Trust me.

So I paid Drexchan from EA Autoworks to do it for me. He has 3 hands and 4 legs the last time I checked and they have a hydraulic jack in their shop. But he thought it'd be fun not to use it.

Now, ever since Spoon came out with their rigid collar, there have been many other copies out there. Not that I'm complaining since the 'copies' are very much cheaper than Spoons, but you have to understand that different products work differently unless copied rigt down to the core design. Spoon's rigid collar is crush fitted into place and that makes for a very snug fit. The Racetech rigid collar I'm using is a measured fitment to cover the gap between the bolt and the bolt hole. In essence it still isn't a completely rigid collar compared to the Spoon product but I heard Racetech gained 4 seconds in a circuit race on their competition Putra with their version of the rigid collar so if it's good for them, it's sure as hell good for a simple enthusiast like me!

Essentially the Wira cross member has 6 bolts holding it up. Take each one out and fit a collar on the top and bottom of it.

Looks pretty straight forward. Sounds pretty straight forward. But I assure you it's not easy.

I had a strangely deformed bolt hole that was oblong instead of round. That took a while to fit in but as I always say : "If all else fails, brute force usually works". Not that I condone it but in this particular case it did the trick and didn't have much of a choice.

Final fitments were done and checked. And torqued down nice and firm.

I'd like to point out that Racetech doesn't call their creation a "rigid collar". They call it the "chassis alignment kit". Not quite the same thing and so similar at the same time. I suspect Spoon has the name "rigid collar" copyrighted since another company calls theirs "stiff rings".

Lastly because the geometry of the car had been 'corrected' and 'aligned' by the CAK (Chassis Alignment Kit), the car was sent for a alignment check and true enough, the toe had gone all wonky. My camber was untouched (surprisingly) and everything was quickly corrected.

First impressions of after the install -

• What the heck? Did my car just become softer? The car felt more comfy. That's saying a lot since I'm not on adjustable suspensions. A quick hard cornering here and there proved that the suspension was still capable of cornering as well as it did earlier, but more comfier!

• Steering feedback improved drastically. Any slight twitch of the steering meant movement on the wheels. Very interesting feeling, basically meant I needed to change the way I drive. No more Ah Beng one hand steering kungfu anymore. The alignment was very much better too. No more left swaying!

• The other and last most obvious feedback is how the car responds to you. You can almost feel what the chassis is doing, what the front wheels are doing and every high/low uneven surface is a twitch in the steering, easily corrected with a counter twitch. You have to be awake to drive properly. No more half dazed cruises down the LDP because I guarantee the potholes will either wake you up or scare the car next to you because of the sudden change of direction from your car. Very good response!

That was all I could notice. I'm not planning on bringing my precious (although beaten up) car to a track anytime soon and neither am I race prepping my car for any race. So I can't really tell you if it'll shave precious time off your laps. But in my humble opinion if it makes the car respond to you faster, reacts faster and has better road grip - I say this is a worthy investment.

Having had to pay for something I wanted to manufacture - crap
No more Ah Beng 1-hand driving kungfu because of this product - lagi crap
Having 4 seconds shaved off my *ahem* secret! road track - Priceless! :biggrin:

Pictures courtesy of EA Autoworks and taken by myself Izso. Copyrights belong to EA Autoworks and me.

Attachments

mugi

mugi

Feb 13, 2007
bro, very interesting stuff.. neway for inspira got huh???? PM me the details how much and where to fix ??? tq bro :P

Veloc

3,000 RPM

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
You know how much your words mean to me?

I myself is an enthusiast. Driving an AE111. I love the car for it's robustness, tuning potential and options. One will know if one watches initial D. But the limiting factor is $$$. Some people will always tell me no need to waste time because no matter what I do, it won't be an evo/skyline/FD beater. What I have been doing is do little little things like you, a bit at a time to make it much better than stock. That's what I can afford for the moment.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Veloc : Dude, I hear you. The thing is we never wanted to be a evo/skyline/FD beater. Those cars in their own right are bloody good. We enthusiasts just want to make our own cars faster right? Who cares about racing bigger badass power houses? :biggin:

Guys, from my understanding Race-Tech makes for all Protons except Inspira and Saga models. I'm not sure about Iswara. I'm not a salesman or marketing person for them, just a user. Best you guys PM Drexchan and ask.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Sounds good and interesting. How much did it cost you and where did you get it?
Yeah hw much did it cost you to purchase the kit and also installation,not to forget where awell ?? :driver:
Erm... Read my post la. EA Autoworks. :listen: They are in KL Bukit Jalil and officially carry the product. Price wise you need to discuss with them.

cross member or sub frame??
Is there a difference? From my understanding it's the same thing but different names.

Master Fuol

Master Fuol

Feb 25, 2004
penang
Its people like you, buying all these copies that causes these companies to go bankrupt.
I can't believe your actually advertising copied products.

D7zul

2,000 RPM

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
You know how much your words mean to me?

I myself is an enthusiast. Driving an AE111. I love the car for it's robustness, tuning potential and options. One will know if one watches initial D. But the limiting factor is $$$. Some people will always tell me no need to waste time because no matter what I do, it won't be an evo/skyline/FD beater. What I have been doing is do little little things like you, a bit at a time to make it much better than stock. That's what I can afford for the moment.
can't beat evo/skyline/FD???

who say?

Knowledge is Power..

Applied Knowledge is Using the Power..

and MONEY MAKES IT A REALITY..

Muahahahaha :evil:

WPQ800

1,000 RPM

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
Its people like you, buying all these copies that causes these companies to go bankrupt.
I can't believe your actually advertising copied products.
true n not true both the same time.....

true
if let say u are buying hks mushroom filters...... then its very2 un-ethical to buy replica one cos it will spoil the original reputation of the original item

not true
if it is sumtin like this item here cos originally developed by spoon, bear in mind only for honda.... not for all.... so whats wrong if there are other manufacturer use the same theory/technology and develop it for other models since spoon doesnt develop to other brand except for honda?

FYI, a patent is only copyright protected for 5 years, after that it may be used generally.... if there is a change in the patent more than certain %, then it voids the original copyright terms.....

WPQ800

1,000 RPM

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
true n not true both the same time.....

true
if let say u are buying hks mushroom filters...... then its very2 un-ethical to buy replica one cos it will spoil the original reputation of the original item

not true
if it is sumtin like this item here cos originally developed by spoon, bear in mind only for honda.... not for all.... so whats wrong if there are other manufacturer use the same theory/technology and develop it for other models since spoon doesnt develop to other brand except for honda?

FYI, a patent is only copyright protected for 5 years, after that it may be used generally.... if there is a change in the patent more than certain %, then it voids the original copyright terms.....
FYI only, not to taruk ppl or tunjuk pandai..... jangan marah aaaaa....

romen_

Known Member

romen_

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
kl
Highly agree on the car being more comfortable after that.. odd eh? LOL!

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Actually... If the guy up there read properly... The CAK is designed differently and uses different material compare to Rigidcolar. Same purpose, and different approach.

Rigid collar uses soft material Crush to fit. = 0 tolerence. 1 time usage.

CAK uses T6061 aerospace grade and install to minimize the tolerance.

Aduii.... BTW, does Honda, TOYOTA, Mitsubishi, Nissan, BMW, Ferrari etc etc got sued from Ford for using 4 tyres in their cars...?

Haha... Have a nice day bro...

Highly agree on the car being more comfortable after that.. odd eh? LOL!
I just read from the CAK manual. It also acts as an vibration isolator when it's being sandwich between the subframe and the chassis. Because, T6061 is still softer than steel

XlimShady

Known Member

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Definitely getting this for my NEO soon! Was wondering where I could find these thing for my car also after seeing it on Speedhunters a couple of months back! Dream come true! NICE!

mustang125

Known Member

mustang125

Known Member
Aug 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
now dats wat we peeps say a "REAL" car enthusiast.Only few can acknowledge ur brilliance.my radar say da truth,my instinct never lies.izso u know bolts n nuts.i can feel we will meet up 1 fine day..:)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Alright.

Let's clarify some things here.

#1 : To know the price of the Race-Tech CAK, either contact EA Autoworks Drexchan via PM / SMS / email or Race-Tech themselves via facebook (Just search for Race-Tech)

#2 : The CAK is NOT a replica of the original idea maker Spoon's Rigid collar. As Speedhorizon has pointed out, it somewhat serves the same PURPOSE (actually not same, but similar) but is not a REPLICA. Therefore you cannot shoot me for supporting a supposed 'copy' when it blatantly is not. Next up is Spoon markets for mainstream brands and not for Proton and prices ranges from RM600 upwards. Race-Tech retails for less than RM400 (depending on requirements).

Regarding all the kind words, I thank you kind gentlemen and hope to continue to have your generous support in reading my enthusiastic articles. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Before this thread goes out of hand - I'd like to repeat that this is an article on a new product that has garnered a lot of general public interest that I just happened to get my hands on.

This is not a promotional for the product. I do not work for EA Autoworks nor do I work for Race-Tech. I just happen to have friends who are and are supportive of my fanatical obsession with cars.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Haha... Based on recent zth trends, I can see why you chose to take the initiative to put up an early disclaimer.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'm skeptical of this item making such an impact on your experience. Considering its essentially something very simple yet having such significant change.

more owners should chime in. a lot of new things haven't been promising, and mostly snake oil. considering spoon is behind the initial concept it *should* be sound engineering.

sadly only for Protons :(

Veloc

3,000 RPM

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I think this is every bit believable. Simple principles and easy to understand. Those fishy ones are like fuel saving devices.

ftzone

full throttle zone

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
quite recently i crashed my junk (proton wira) into a tyre barrier (sepang circuit) and i managed to crack my front frame panel. this damage alone caused handling problem during high-speed corners (esp.turn 5) and braking performance are effected too.

a few days later at the workshop, i had the front frame replaced and what the heck, i've decided to throw in the stiff rings in as well (just like the C.A.K from racetech).
upon quick test drive my experience is similar to what Izso described.

well as for circuit racing test this will be put on hold until next year.

as per Izso - that racetech race putra managed to shave off 4 secs in sepang circuit is a huge improvement! for less than MYR400 mod! some people I know had to spend MYR12,000 to shave off the same amout of time (which is racing coilovers and tyres)
<RM400 p mod.<><RM400 p mod.<>
Izso, nice write up! Perhaps next time if I have any new parts for the Proton Wira, I'd drop you a message (+ the free part for testing) so that you could write it up for me ya? sounds good? ;)

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Nice write up. Good info. But why only for proton? Haha.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
This can only mean.. RIGID COLLARS FOR ALL!
Careful there. This isn't a rigid collar, this is a CHASSIS ALIGNMENT KIT! :biggrin: Later kena sue by nay-sayers.

I'm skeptical of this item making such an impact on your experience. Considering its essentially something very simple yet having such significant change.

more owners should chime in. a lot of new things haven't been promising, and mostly snake oil. considering spoon is behind the initial concept it *should* be sound engineering.

sadly only for Protons :(
Actually I am the sceptic you are today bro. The thing is I got my set at a pretty bargain rate which is why I was willing to try it otherwise I would have abandoned the idea. Besides, this wasn't going to adversely affect my car (like a certain air-leaker I know) so no harm testing.

I have to point out though, the effects that I have listed out are not useful for everyday driving. Sure it's more comfortable but I also realised more road noise in the cabin. Perhaps it's my tyres but since I wasn't able to confirm I didn't write about it.

And who wants a twitchy steering on a road going car? Going over pothole ridden uneven roads is now a wrestling match between me and my steering. Hence the comment about no more 1-hand kungfu. Pros and cons I guess.

And it's currently for Protons but I'm not sure if they are willing to venture into other brands. Stiff Ring on the other hand have been pretty aggressive with their R&D and have a few makes under their umbrella.

Izso, nice write up! Perhaps next time if I have any new parts for the Proton Wira, I'd drop you a message (+ the free part for testing) so that you could write it up for me ya? sounds good? ;)
I QUOTE YOU ON THIS! You're ON AH!

Nice write up. Good info. But why only for proton? Haha.
As mentioned earlier, their prototype was fitted in their own car which happened to be a Proton Putra so since that's compatible with Wiras, Satrias, Neos, it only make sense to target these 3 types of cars. Have a look at Stiff Ring. They might have it for your car.

drexchan

2,000 RPM

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Izso, this has seriously gone out of hands. You should have made the clarification in the TITLE itself. LOL!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For whom that it may concern. Don't like don't read, want to read don't feel dulan.

THIS IS NOT THE MARKET PLACE. @#$%^&*

I really DO NOT understand the attitude of "PM me price for XXX" whenever one is looking for something. On one hand ZTH community is voicing againts sellers' request to "PM for price", at the same time you guys still request the sellers to send you a PM. MANA SATU MAU IKUT?!

Someone owe you guys izzit? Why must a contributor be burdened into spoon-feeding you for your own modification need?

The worse thing is, this is not even a sales topic in the market place! Pee into the bowl not anywhere else you think it's a bowl lah!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izso, while you are trying hard to be a nice guy, there's always a need of a 'bad guy'. Nevermind I just did it for you. :biggrin:

Damn, did you just mentioned that I sell it too? No wonder lah.. inquiries have been flying in like leaves in the autumn. Sold out today. :adore:

Oh yeah I did it on the hoist today. No fun wei....

Last edited:

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Iszo, may I ask something? You mention that after using this, the steering was twitchy. Do you mean that when you drive on uneven roads, the steering wheel moves/turns/pulls (not drastically) to one side by itself? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why I ask is because I have been experiencing this (not sure if its the same thing though) in one of my cars but not in my other two cars. I find it a little worrying and thought that something was wrong with my car.

drexchan

2,000 RPM

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Iszo, may I ask something? You mention that after using this, the steering was twitchy. Do you mean that when you drive on uneven roads, the steering wheel moves/turns/pulls (not drastically) to one side by itself? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Why I ask is because I have been experiencing this (not sure if its the same thing though) in one of my cars but not in my other two cars. I find it a little worrying and thought that something was wrong with my car.
Bump steering and twitchiness are two different things.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Drex, wahlaneh. Chill pill time out for you!

The fellas are just excited over the possibility of a good upgrade so forgive them la. I am generally a nice guy anyway :biggrin:

ddv_nk12 : Ok bump steer (when you bump into something that affects the geometry of your suspension that effectively moves your steering in response) happens to most cars. Just depends on how well your absorber handles it. Twitchy steering in this case refers to how sensitive the steering response is. So not quite the same thing la.

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM

ddv_nk12

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2011
PD
Thank you thank you. You are indeed a nice guy. Hehe.

I misunderstood your statement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D News and Features 30