Race Course

Crash

1,500 RPM
Dec 2, 2003
Kay-El
vernonchan.com
faisal said:
Yo Crash, on the 7th your course wil be with the Prince of Drift himself. Tengku Djan Ley will be on hand to give tips to the Satria R3 owners.
Heheh. Yippeee!

Fiki

Dec 6, 2004
Klang Valley
www.kic.com.my
yahooo... can go around n around ni djan's car.. hehehehe

monsterv6

2,000 RPM
May 3, 2005
S.J
i want to know about the courses la...can u Pm me back...im mkind intrested..

Fiki

Dec 6, 2004
Klang Valley
www.kic.com.my
can also.. c u tomolo there.. errr can drive my car also rite...

faisal said:
Oi your car not R3 oi.. you can ride with me la.. turun pangkat sikit. Only R3 owners get to ride with TDL

DJ-LanEvo3

500 RPM
May 2, 2005
BoatOwner said:
I think comparing to one of the first performance driving and race schools that run their own race series (jim russell), a school that has taught (in their race courses for which they use single seater race cars) drivers such as Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Villeneuve, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jimmy Vasser, Greg Moore, Jenson Button, Jan Magnussen, Ralph Firman, and a bunch more is a bit of a stretch.

Their performance driving school, which you say is no different costs about RM1300 for a one day course that runs from 8am-4/5pm or so (total track time probably 1.5-3hrs per driver), and there will not be ANY other cars on track, exclusive use of the track is for the school. Helmets are provided, everyone knows the schedule of events before arriving at the track, drivers are arranged into groups according to their capabilities (whereas here we have all drivers on course at the same time with all sorts of other track day drivers out on track). There are classroom lessons before the driving. One-on-one instructors.

I'm not saying this proposed course isn't a good thing, it is.... but i wouldn't go saying it is the same thing as Jim Russell.

I agree with fordrunger that there doesn't seem to be a lot of info available for drivers interested.... U-Earn, there is not much point in replying to queries by PM as other interested posters don't get to see your replies. I'm sure most participants have the same questions.

For example some things i would like to know if i was interested:

1.Do you provide helmets to use? Are they snell certified?

2.when you say "Its also a procedure to obtain a race licence for car. " what do you mean, is the course organised in cooperation with AAM? To get a car racing licence all i have to do is join a club such as the sepang motorsports club, go get my medical checkup, walk over to AAM give them a few photos drop off ~RM250 answer a few questions and i'm done. I can't imagine it would be a discount for an AAM licence as RM200 is insurance costs.

3.will there be a classroom session before the event to teach racing lines, braking techniques, throttle application, gear chaning etc.? Or do we just go out on track and get taught on an ad-hoc basis?

4.What good is the certificate provided? Is it just for me to hang on my wall or do is there any other use?

5.How many instructors do you have (will it be one-on-one)? Do all of them have experience as being instructors (i assume they do since you said "professional instructors")?

6.Will you have timing equipment?

7.Any insurance or drivers are fully responsible for all damages? If the instructor drives the participants car and damages it who is resposible for damage costs - how about if the instructor drives the participants car and fries the gearbox (pay for damages, tow truck?)?

8.Will refreshments be provided?

9.Do i need to have a full tank of fuel before arriving at the track?

10.What will the sessions be like... for example do we have 10 minutes on track and then a briefing on our performance or do we stay out on track for all three hours? Will instructors show us the line in another car ahead of us or will they be observing is from behind or will they be in the car with us? Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?

11.Do you have approval from SIC to run a performance driving course during the track day or is there a chance that when i show up to drive they say you aren't allowed to run the course?

That's just what i could quickly think of, i'm sure others have more questions.
---

Like i said it is great that a course is being organised, but it seems there is a lack of info (half the posts here seem to ask questions about what's going on.) I would think that if you would cooperate on this course with SIC they would at least be able to provide a reduced track-fee for the participants of the course (say from 150 down to 100 reducing the already low cost of 300 down to 250). Or you could discuss the chances of arranging to book the track exclusively for the use of the participants so there aren't 100 other cars running around.

U r perfect man... U asked all the questions I've tried to ask..

Learning racing skill.. sounds cool... this must be the one I always dreamed of

and chance for me to learn proper way of driving and understand what racing

is about..

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
BoatOwner said:
Chris it seems that you completely missunderstood the intention of my post, i'm sorry if i didn't make it clear enough. None of my comments were demands, they were simple questions to clear up issues that participants might want to know, and a few suggestions some which might be plausible others maybe not. For example there might be 10 guys show up without helmets if they aren't told that they need to bring their own helmets.

Refreshment question likewise. A simple answer from the instructors could be "refreshements are available at the pits for RM1.50 a can/bottle, or down the road at the petronas station." - would suck having not brought any drinks and not having any available at the track.

I did say "Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?" I didn't say EVERY corner. For example having just 1 instructor at t1/t2 could provide invaluable feedback to the drivers. btw... 15 corners there might be, but some corners such as T3 do not need any attention as they are so straight forward, and T1/T2 covered by one guy, T7/8 by one guy, T12/13/14 by one guy... you'd hardly need 15 instructors to cover all corners, and that's not what i was even asking/suggesting, not demanding.

I also never said it was a proper racing course, either are the courses i compared to.

Q11 was simply to check that sepang does not mind having instructors profiting at their track, a simple yes/no answer is enough to ensure participants that everything will be ok.

Timing equipment question: Stopwatches are readily available and cheap, and most people probably have them, many on their phones. The instructor taking laptimes in the passenger seat for example works. Or an answer such as "we feel that times are not an important factor, enough can be ascertained from just driving feedback."

I was looking for answers from the organisers of the event, not from somebody that thought i was dissing the program, that wasn't my intention, sorry if i made it seem that way.

"RM150 FOR GUIDE AND YOU EXPECT GOT CLASSROOM??": a classroom session can be arranged at the nearby carpark for example... there is no need for rental of an actual room. I didn't say "will there be a classroom?" - there is no need to sit at desks for a theory session to take place. IMO a very good idea rather than just going out on track right away. and i did not say i "expect there to be a classroom" or "i demand that there be a classroom" i asked if there is going to be a classroom session.

"I DON'T THINK SEPANG MOTORSPORTS CLUB IS REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED BY AAM. " - Yes it is. - you can double check with AAM if you don't trust me.

Like i said twice in my previous post: i think it is very good what these guys are doing. - i also mentioned that it is a very low price (extremely low in fact) :blink: - i was just asking questions that i hope will be answered by somebody who actually knows the answers for the benefit of the possible participants and preferably without using caps throughout.

To be able to use a track with facilities that put to shame most other track on the planet on so many sundays thoughout the year for just RM150 for a 3 hour session is unheard of anywhere on European tracks for example.

Hi Boatowner,

Been very busy with work to reply here.

Ok, maybe we are just looking at things at a different perspective. Its just that some of the questions you ask or want to ask on behalf of the people, I feel is very unnecessary as its very basic and any track or track driver want to be, should already know. Possibly just different perspective.

"Refreshment question likewise. A simple answer from the instructors could be "refreshements are available at the pits for RM1.50 a can/bottle, or down the road at the petronas station." - would suck having not brought any drinks and not having any available at the track"
You said earlier "Will refreshments be provided?" and not can refereshment/drinks be bought. Thats is why i said how can be possible for refereshment provided with the course which is so low priced to try to fit into the budget of enthuasiast.

"I did say "Will there be instructors beside the track at certain corners to take notes on our driving?" I didn't say EVERY corner. For example having just 1 instructor at t1/t2 could provide invaluable feedback to the drivers. btw... 15 corners there might be, but some corners such as T3 do not need any attention as they are so straight forward, and T1/T2 covered by one guy, T7/8 by one guy, T12/13/14 by one guy... you'd hardly need 15 instructors to cover all corners, and that's not what i was even asking/suggesting, not demanding."
Ok, not every corner then. But then again Sepang is NOT a Go-Kart Track, its a Formula One Track and way bigger. With the exception of marshals and some photographer, no one is allowed into the service roads facing the corners or stand near the corner to see your line. It very different from the normal Go-Kart Track. I feel it is still best and you will learn much more and faster with an instructor next to you to give you immediate feedback on the way you drive into the corner rather then after 3 or 5 laps then to explain what corner what mistake, by then most people will forget already.

"Timing equipment question: Stopwatches are readily available and cheap, and most people probably have them, many on their phones. The instructor taking laptimes in the passenger seat for example works. Or an answer such as "we feel that times are not an important factor, enough can be ascertained from just driving feedback." "
When you said timing equipment, stopwatches won't even come into my mind, as I don't think it could even be classified as timing equipment. I feel Timing equipment would be something like you use it during sanction race in Sepang or those you use in those Go-Kart track like most Go-Kart track now. I would assume most people who want to attend this type of introduction course, would want to learn how to drive and proper way of driving in track rather than how fast you can drive.

"I was looking for answers from the organisers of the event, not from somebody that thought i was dissing the program, that wasn't my intention, sorry if i made it seem that way."
Please don't take my intention wrong as well. I was not here to flame anyone in particular too. Like I said earlier, probably we just look at things from different perspective, thats why I felt some questions were not necessary.

""RM150 FOR GUIDE AND YOU EXPECT GOT CLASSROOM??": a classroom session can be arranged at the nearby carpark for example... there is no need for rental of an actual room. I didn't say "will there be a classroom?" - there is no need to sit at desks for a theory session to take place. IMO a very good idea rather than just going out on track right away. and i did not say i "expect there to be a classroom" or "i demand that there be a classroom" i asked if there is going to be a classroom session."
Classroom? Wouldn't that mean a class held inside a room that has chairs and desk? That would what I would think or maybe some people would think classroom could be in the open air car park. Briefing, I would have understand more of what you would wanted to say.

"I DON'T THINK SEPANG MOTORSPORTS CLUB IS REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED BY AAM. " - Yes it is. - you can double check with AAM if you don't trust me.
YUP. You are very right. I called AAM today and told me that only since mid-last year, Sepang Motorsport Club is recognised by AAM. My mistake, cause I didn't know they changed last year.

To be able to use a track with facilities that put to shame most other track on the planet on so many sundays thoughout the year for just RM150 for a 3 hour session is unheard of anywhere on European tracks for example
Yup. I totally agree. Don't think anyone can find any cheaper sunday track rental in a F1 track.

Chris

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
This is all a bit redundant as the course has been cancelled, perhaps due to a lack of information to the participants? ..... but anyways:

the main issue you seem to have with my original post is you feel that i was expecting the course to offer the things i asked about. There is a difference between a question and a demand - check end of post for definitions.

a bit tired now but hope i am making sense.

Ok, maybe we are just looking at things at a different perspective. Its just that some of the questions you ask or want to ask on behalf of the people, I feel is very unnecessary as its very basic and any track or track driver want to be, should already know. Possibly just different perspective.

Never assume your prospective customers know anything. "Should know" is very different form actually knowing. Some posters(potential participants) mentioned they were interested in getting the questions i asked answered.

One can never ask too many questions! The worst question is a question left unasked. - no question is too simple or "basic."

How for example could a track driver want to be know if helmets will be provided or not, if refreshments are available, if they will be briefed on driving techniques, where their instructors will be, how many instructors they will have, if they will be timed, etc. In fact i can't think of any one of the questions i asked as a question that a "track driver want to be" would have known the answer to for certain. - they might've assumed the answer, but how could they know? - especially if they have never been to SIC before.

You said earlier "Will refreshments be provided?" and not can refereshment/drinks be bought. Thats is why i said how can be possible for refereshment provided with the course which is so low priced to try to fit into the budget of enthuasiast.
Like i said, an answer of "no but they can be purchased" answers the question quite well. In fact quite the same answer as to "
can refereshment/drinks be bought." - "yes they can", or it might've been "no need to purchase drinks, we will buy a case of water for paticipants."

You don't seem to get that i wasn't demanding/requiring any of the things i asked questions about. My questions were merely to get answers to aspects that i thought participants might be interested in.

Ok, not every corner then. But then again Sepang is NOT a Go-Kart Track, its a Formula One Track and way bigger. With the exception of marshals and some photographer, no one is allowed into the service roads facing the corners or stand near the corner to see your line. It very different from the normal Go-Kart Track. I feel it is still best and you will learn much more and faster with an instructor next to you to give you immediate feedback on the way you drive into the corner rather then after 3 or 5 laps then to explain what corner what mistake, by then most people will forget already.
Like i said - i was just looking for general info, none of my comments were demanding anything. -That's why i had a question mark at the end of my comments, instead of an exclamation mark.

I agree with your perspective that more can be learnt from an instructor in the car - but you aren't/weren't organising/instructing the course. I was curious as particpants may have been as to how they would have been instructed.

Instructor(s) could go to the side of the track without problems, especially T1/T2.

You are still questioning my questions. I never said there should be instructors at corners, i asked will there be. I'm not arguing about what methods should be used, i was asking what methods will be used.

I don't remember mentioning karting once in my post, or comparing the track to a kart track?

When you said timing equipment, stopwatches won't even come into my mind, as I don't think it could even be classified as timing equipment. I feel Timing equipment would be something like you use it during sanction race in Sepang or those you use in those Go-Kart track like most Go-Kart track now. I would assume most people who want to attend this type of introduction course, would want to learn how to drive and proper way of driving in track rather than how fast you can drive.
Like i said, none of my comments were demands. Without knowing people might've shown up and said "huh, you mean nobody was taking our times?"

Or an answer like "you can rent a transponder from SIC for an additional RM50 for the duration of the track day and you will get a printout of your times" - i have no idea if this is offered by SIC but it might be? Would that be enough to be regarded as "timing equipment"?

more often than not car accessory/racing catalogues have stopwatches listed in the "timing equipment" category if that is what is bothering you.

as before - it's not smart to assume what the participants want or what they think will be provided, tell them.

Please don't take my intention wrong as well. I was not here to flame anyone in particular too. Like I said earlier, probably we just look at things from different perspective, thats why I felt some questions were not necessary.
Obviously we look at things from a different perspective. I feel participants should know what is going on, you seem to think limited info is enough and/or that participants shouldn't ask questions, because they should already know the answers. My questions were addressed towards the organisers/instructors of the course.

Classroom? Wouldn't that mean a class held inside a room that has chairs and desk? That would what I would think or maybe some people would think classroom could be in the open air car park. Briefing, I would have understand more of what you would wanted to say.
going around in circles here, i said "classroom session to discuss....." and you started to question the cost of renting a classroom? you missunderstood my comment. If you want tables chairs it could always be in the pits where the food/beverages point is. :)

As with all other questions, there might've been people show up and been told to go out on track with an instructor. First they might have wanted to know things like "what rpm should i shift up at?" "Should i brake at 200m or 50m?" etc. etc.

And again the question could have been answered, "we will not rent a classroom but we will have a briefing 30mins before the beginning of the first driving session at pit No.11/12." - a question, not a demand.

YUP. You are very right. I called AAM today and told me that only since mid-last year, Sepang Motorsport Club is recognised by AAM. My mistake, cause I didn't know they changed last year.
So you didn't trust me :). AAM must be a bit confused with this as well, since i know some people that held a racing licence with membership to SMC from the very beginning of last year. The only time i know when it wasn't ok was early this year because they had some issues to resolve.

ques·tion
n.

1. An expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply.
    2. An interrogative sentence, phrase, or gesture.

de·mand

v. de·mand·ed, de·mand·ing,de·mands
v. tr.

1. To ask for urgently or peremptorily: demand an investigation into the murder; demanding that he leave immediately; demanded to speak to the manager.
  2. To claim as just or due: demand repayment of a loan.
  3. To ask to be informed of: I demand a reason for this interruption.

Last edited:

niceputera

Known Member
May 4, 2005
So cancel huh. Pitty coz I'm into it. Well we can always reorganize it. Do pm me if anybody want to organize again this course. Tq

or contact my hp 012-3793343 . Tq.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Need some help here. I'm looking to the 4G63 -6AN fuel rail adapters with O-ring(inlet and outlet) as shown in the picture. Any idea where can I buy it? Thanks.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience