Questions on making 400WHP MR-2

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
Re: 400WHP on MR-2 without Internal modifications?

Very neat simple setup. I like it alot!! I have a few questions though.

1) What Mods did you do to the head?
2) How does she perform, does she give you alot of toruble?
3) What do you suggest is a good turbo for street setup!
4) What are your views on MAP ECU and Power FC since i was gonna pick one of these ECU's for my setup.

Thanx 4 your time!!!
CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wavey:

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com

MAP ECU? U mean switch your A/F to MAF i think. If your thinking of those BHP you will need a standalone already, PowerFC is the easy way to go but Haltech, Microtech all also can.

400bhp is not street set up anymore... :-D

Shady

Sep 10, 2007

well what do you sugggest then? I don't wanna go STROKER or anything like that. If you have any ideas please let me know!

And by the way NO.....i mean use a MAP ECU!!! check it out - : PERFORMANCE MOTOR RESEARCH LTD :

Let me know what u think.
Do u have any suggessions on a good Turbo. And do u think its better to get acustom exhaust or get a branded one. I was thinkin of (BLITZ NUR SPEC R)

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
Increase SPOOL SOUND

Does anyone have a method to increase the sound of the turbo spool....you know something like u hear on the Supras!! Damn those things sound like JETS!!!!!:stupid:

The MR2s i have heard usally have loud exhausts but u can't really hear the TURBO spool up!!

Leme know if y'all got sumthin!

THanx!

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
400whp turbo

Hey Y'all!!!
Does anyone have any good suggesion on a TURBO that's capable of putting out 400WHP for a MR2.

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
shady,

The MAP ECU your refering to is a brand, i was talking about sensors... but nvm too much to explain here hehehe come for TT one day all questions can be answerd :-)

I never had an issue on not hearing my turbo spool, infact it’s so damn loud... what boost pressure are you running and what air filter are you using now... or perhaps your talking about a external wastegate...

Border

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
Bro....

If you want 400WHP you have got to get advise from MR2 SIONG..... he use to own a 580 BHP MR2 running T04 Turbine...... can you tame such a beast?

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
Bro....

If you want 400WHP you have got to get advise from MR2 SIONG..... he use to own a 580 BHP MR2 running T04 Turbine...... can you tame such a beast?
WOW!!!! Now that's somethg!!! I'd Love to tame such a beast!!! If u can tell me where is this gr8 SIONG and how I can find him then it will be extremely helpful!!!

thanx once again!!!

Regards

tom's

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
subang
www.zerotohundred.com
i bought over the 580hp engine without the turbo........hahaha

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
i bought over the 580hp engine without the turbo........hahaha
OH YOU LUCKY GUY!!!!! Hey man do guys share e-mail id's around here so that life would be much easier!

Shady

Sep 10, 2007
580BHP!!! Hmmmm.......What is your solution for cooling this beast down. I mean trunk mount IC, Side mount IC, water to air?

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara

I guess not........but 400BHP sounds good enough!!!! well!!! let me be honest with you!!!! Other than the reason that im in love with my car, my other reason to startin this project is I wanna build a Honda Killer!!! No offence to any1 here on this Forum but.....where i come from, more than
half of the street racing comunity drives a Honda and they think its a ferrari or sumthin.

Every guy u talk to says brags bout his crapy honda when it comes to the road all he can see is the rear end of my 2!! so thought id step the game up a bit since their brains started workin and their startin to use forced induction.

So I'm hopin u could post up a set up list for me, keep in mind this car is driven only on the weekends!

thnx buddy!!!

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

U sound very promising...... may i know ur setup list and did u change the ECU???
and how much do u put out on HIGH BOOST?

Dont mean to hijack...but im facing the same with the Honda's out there:thefinger:
anyways mine is a celica 3SGTE (~255BHP) running everything stock and still can beat those Honda's (EC, EJ,EG to the new FN, FD and the wild FD2 Type R)...so anything about 300whp is quite enuf....i believe that extreme HP figures are useful for DRAG racing only and doesn't do any good in town racing....as some sifus says...handling goes first :)

my 2 Cents....

Last edited:

Shady

Sep 10, 2007

Dont mean to hijack...but im facing the same with the Honda's out there:thefinger:
anyways mine is a celica 3SGTE (~255BHP) running everything stock and still can beat those Honda's (EC, EJ,EG to the new FN, FD and the wild FD2 Type R)...so anything about 300whp is quite enuf....i believe that extreme HP figures are useful for DRAG racing only and doesn't do any good in town racing....as some sifus says...handling goes first :)

my 2 Cents....
Heh!!! Welcome to the club buddy!!! annoying little things right??? Like some flies or something. Anyway why don't u try basic bolt ons for starters and work urself up to your goal!!! 300WHP is a joke for 3sgte!! trust me on this man!! Are you lookin to do this at one go or just do small modifications from time to time?

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008

Heh!!! Welcome to the club buddy!!! annoying little things right??? Like some flies or something. Anyway why don't u try basic bolt ons for starters and work urself up to your goal!!! 300WHP is a joke for 3sgte!! trust me on this man!! Are you lookin to do this at one go or just do small modifications from time to time?
Blur here: "300WHP is a joke for 3S-GTE"
Too little or too much???-recap: originally you did not want to change engine internals.
Decide whether you want a dyno queen or street machine first.

My mistake wuz;I thought yours was the MRS with the 1ZZ.
With the 3SGTe;lift one of the ST205 and you got the base for some tweaks.If your SW20 was non turbo-the engine internals may not stand up.(for bolt on turbo).

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara

for now im aiming at 300+ HP, with the help of a boost controller and an efficient air filter....i already have the 3" piping so should be no probs....it will take me some time to play around with the internals....cams, larger injectors, cam & crankshafts...etc. By then i should be hitting 450BHP:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Blur here: "300WHP is a joke for 3S-GTE"
Too little or too much???-recap: originally you did not want to change engine internals.
Decide whether you want a dyno queen or street machine first.

My mistake wuz;I thought yours was the MRS with the 1ZZ.
With the 3SGTe;lift one of the ST205 and you got the base for some tweaks.If your SW20 was non turbo-the engine internals may not stand up.(for bolt on turbo).
true....many confuse that the higher the BHP or WHP the more street monster the car will be...sad to say forgetting about handling, they end up crashing it....
btw, the 3SGTE is a factory tuned turbo package, BOTs are not reliable as far as i know, unless supplied with the right Engine management and expertise....

Last edited: