::Questions on Changing Crankshaft::

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
Since this section goes more general, I decided to move my thread here. Here it goes:

Due to my old-aging SOHC non-vtec engine, what occured is that one end of the crankshaft which connects to the pulley broke...... got towed to a workshop, but the tauke said that have to change crankshaft, crankshaft bearings and also most of the seals since my engine is also leaking oil quite severely (gote quoted RM1300 overall). My question is, I understand on the seals part, as since they are already dismantling the engine, so might as well change them. But on the bearings side, is it necessary? They said the new crank might not fit into the existing bearings, something like either the crank of bearing shifted size after all these years. Is it true? if I do not change the bearings, will it leak oil? Afraid that I got BS'ed by the tauke. Advices are really appreciated.:adore:

*Upte: Just received feedback that my crank pulley also need to be replaced... got quoted RM210 for USED pulley... i mean.... speechless... start to feel like i will get sotong big time by the workshop already...:banghead:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
Since this section goes more general, I decided to move my thread here. Here it goes:

Due to my old-aging SOHC non-vtec engine, what occured is that one end of the crankshaft which connects to the pulley broke...... got towed to a workshop, but the tauke said that have to change crankshaft, crankshaft bearings and also most of the seals since my engine is also leaking oil quite severely (gote quoted RM1300 overall). My question is, I understand on the seals part, as since they are already dismantling the engine, so might as well change them. But on the bearings side, is it necessary? They said the new crank might not fit into the existing bearings, something like either the crank of bearing shifted size after all these years. Is it true? if I do not change the bearings, will it leak oil? Afraid that I got BS'ed by the tauke. Advices are really appreciated.:adore:

*Upte: Just received feedback that my crank pulley also need to be replaced... got quoted RM210 for USED pulley... i mean.... speechless... start to feel like i will get sotong big time by the workshop already...:banghead:
sotong or potong??? :biggrin:
anyways why u toe to that workshop in the first place???
now that its there its almost like u must do the work with him
not nice also lah u toe back from his wshop then go other place if u feel he cheating u

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah... I also feel that it's not nice to suddenly cut down his service and tow to other workshop...
The reason I called them is because that is the nearest workshop to the breakdown zone, and I have done alignment at that shop before.... Maybe the tauke think that since my car is towed to his shop, he has the chance to "potong till I become sotong" d..:sleep:.. That's the thing that I am not really comfortable with... :mad:

Thanks for your concern, bro... Anyway, I still has the chance to stop them from changing thing(s) that is not necessary... to prevent "bleeding throat" during car collection from the shop....:biggrin:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Well, as far as I know, crankshaft bearings will not get 'shifted' or change size over the years. U only change them if they get worn out. What's your current mileage? If it's more than 200,000km then it might be possible that the bearings are getting worn already, though may not be that much. If u're planning to keep the car for quite a long time, it's a good idea to change them now.

I think to be on the safe side, get a second or even a third opinion from other mechanics. Just my 2 cents.. :nurse:

*By the way, I'm an SOHC non-VTEC user too. :driver:

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
Currently, my mileage is less than 200,000km, but should be almost there... I understand on the worn out factor as well... Maybe I should be putting it this way; changing the bearings now so that it will save me from worries in the future.... But nevertheless I will seek advice from other mechanics first before doing the final decision.....

On the crank pulley side, I came across lightened local cap ayam pulley for less than RM200. Dunno how good the quality is, but since my crank pulley already kong and a used one also got quoted that much, I think will opt for the lightened local ones...

Bro, u having a Sohc Non-Vtec too? :driver:
Just curious, did the idea of going for B-series came to your mind anytime before?
Actually, the love for B-series still can be found deep within me... but due to budget constraint...well...:bawling:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
B-series? Haha, yes of course.. :love: Currently my budget doesn't allow me to get one. Futhermore, my D16Y7 engine is still running strong. Mine is manual. FC is also quite ok, managed to get 500km for RM70 (25% town/75% highway).

But hey, if you're planning to get a B-series, don't spend too much on your current engine lah.. About the lightweight crank pulley, I think cap ayam is ok, value for money. Bcoz they always copy the branded one, so almost 100% the same thing.

*Recently I changed the whole exhaust system, from extractor 4-2-1 all the way to centre bullet & muffler. Power & torque have improved across the rev range and FC improved too. :rock:

civic EdGe

Known Member
Jul 27, 2006
Err, since your engine is still running strong, then changing to B-Series will be a bit wasted..
Unless next time you are able to find a sincere buyer who can offer good price for your good condition SOHC... Glad to hear that you have experienced improvements after modding your current engine...:biggrin:

I also wish not to spend on my current engine anymore.. but under this circumstances, I still have to do repairs so that the car is at least "drivable"... till I accumulate the budget to go for B-Series.. If I opt for halfway repairing this round.... Im afraid that the engine will get sick again before I am financially capable of doing any transplants...:sleep:

Just to share with others... actually today the other mech adviced me to change the crank bearings as well, if possible... coz he mentioned that if the bearing is really in bad condition, even crank fluctuation of at least 0.25mm-0.5mm can snowball and cause the engine to jam... the best way, as he said, is to send it to engineering shop to re-measure everything around the crank before pressing the bearings in... just his 2 cents..^^

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I've got an idea : Since your engine is not in very good condition and you don't want to spend on costly repairs, consider getting a used D-series VTEC instead (D16Y8, 128bhp). It's got 22bhp more than your current non-VTEC version. Although it's not as powerful as the B-series, it's much cheaper and parts are easy to get since this engine can be found in the high spec Civic SO4 sold here. :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any idea of avoiding scratches during car wash. i mean wash on our own la. i had bad experience sending car was be it in service centre or road site car wash.

but even when i wash it on my own, it still cause some fine scratches, especially both my cars are black. so irritating!!!! and now my 1 month old C200 started looks 'ugly' for me....:Not_Impressed:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience