question regarding exhaust mod,,

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
ok guys im drive the car same as my siggie...so i planning to put on an exhaust modification to it....

so far, i am thinking just to enlarge the piping size only, din think of changing extractor, i was told by someone, it gains some performance/hp is it true by just adding size from original? is CAT really neccessary to be removed? if not removed, will it restrct much power?...after remove means nit to replace with centre bullet rite? so after replacing bullet no longer environment friendly d rite?.... another question is, if i dun wanna put muffler possible? will it create very loud noise kah? coz i have seen once, vios looks like normal piping nia, without muffler, scream like dunno wat car, damn freaking loud....i was scare if i din put muffler will be the same also....i now thinking putting up those exhaust tail pipe than muffler as muffler also got looks nia rite?...and last but not least, is ... is it possible if i divide two pipe out into both side (twin exhaust pipe)? will it cause lose power? or any side effect?... sorry to create a new thread, coz i dun wanna all my question campur with other thread...hope u guys can help me up answering all the question..thx...

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
yah, removing the CAT will pollute the country... although it is not illegal, but it is not recommended... well, if u dont care about the environment, u are encouraged to remove it.... it do restrict some power....

after remove the CAT, it is up to u to replace it with midbullet or not... in most cases, people replace it with midbullet because it will dampen the sound of ur exhaust.... thus, ur exhaust is not that loud...

without putting on the muffler will certainly be vr loud.... when ur car is loud, it will attract unwanted attention... thus, it is better to install a muffler...

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
hmmm.... actually what engine u are using for ?? manual or auto ?

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Removing CAT not illegal are u sure?? maybe in malaysia only.. hehehe :p emision level sure go up.. therefore outside malaysia sure illegal.. in europe at least

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
i mean for now, it is still not illegal to remove CAT in malaysia lar.... later sure they will enforce the rule...
in america and european countries, CAT is a must in every car.....

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
y DUN u go to jianhang there..and ask ur question to them?
exhaust setup is somewhat subjective ...u ask here and there u confuse urself
Go to a proper good exhaust shop(not wei yip those ah beng shop),like jianhang,or jaafar...and ask ur question..it will be well answered

roy27

Known Member
Feb 16, 2006
first i dun support of enlarging diameter of the piping ...... CAT yes ..... n if u dun wan put muffler in the back pls put at least 2 resonance box ....... dun polute the silence ..... twin piping onli make your wallet bleed ...... if u got then ok lo .... no diff for me ..... n remember there is always the good side n bad side if u do this ...... stick to stock everything will be just nice .....

sonictheory

2,000 RPM
Dec 10, 2004
Selangor, Malaysia
Visit site
can tell me the reason why dun support enlarge piping size? i tot its alwiz recommended to enlarge by 25% of it actual size for more performance ?...

escaflowne, wanted to go there, but kinda far from my place...plan to listen some advice first...

and my car is auto btw... wat i planning now is enlarge my piping to 1.75" not change for extractor...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
escaflowne said:
y DUN u go to jianhang there..and ask ur question to them?
exhaust setup is somewhat subjective ...u ask here and there u confuse urself
Go to a proper good exhaust shop(not wei yip those ah beng shop),like jianhang,or jaafar...and ask ur question..it will be well answered
yeap yeap.... agree with u dude... different people give different opinion... most of us talk based on our experience... for more professional advice, better ask experts.... get a rough idea of how ur exhaust system should work only come back here and discuss with us... hehehe....:regular_smile:

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
i also dunno how to answer u why dun wan ? erm why don`t u try it out with peeps who enlarged their piping .... then u test it with your car (important) diff is only the piping size .... so u will fin out weather u want anot ? but diff ppl got diff satisfaction needed ma so its like u R&D yourself ..... cannot tell u how n why ...... see the needs of u ....... roy is just givin u an opinion on where any circumstance your car still can has its power ....

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
sonictheory said:
can tell me the reason why dun support enlarge piping size? i tot its alwiz recommended to enlarge by 25% of it actual size for more performance ?...
you say you dun wan to change the exhaust manifold, that means stock extractor direct connect to your larger piping. theorically, people who mod their piping to a larger size is because they provide less backpreasure, and able to flow a larger ammount of exhaust gas.

but if you do not change the extractor, that mean your extractor will still be the "anchor". you will not gain much performance as you need both of them to be made for high performance, one of them stock then you won't be getting much, especially a stock extractor + bigger pipe, which is worse than aftermarket extractor + stock main pipe (the later do give better response).

besides that, you are connecting a bigger pipe to the stock extractor, which means that there is a size difference(not properly calculated), when that happens, either there will be a turbulance in the exhaust air flow, or the exhaust gas' velocity will drop, both of them is bad for power. if you say bigger pipe is better for high rev, yes i agree, but then your extractor is not for high rev, so you won't be able to get the advantage at all.

if you say you want to replace the extractor as well in a month or two, then go ahead, but i do think do one go is cheaper. if not, then removing the catalyzer and change the muffler to a straight flow type is probably best, if you want a new pipe, get one done with the same diameter/size, and make sure it has little to no bends.

edwin_lcw

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2005
Setapak
i mean the point to modify exhaust system is not really to add power but its more like to get back the power your car actaully have ..... for me ..... i think here very little ppl enlarge la .... as they don`t come in cheap prices ...... ppl mod to satisfy their needs .... as some of them plays in high n some plays in low .....

gohkokeng

2,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2006
edwin_lcw said:
i mean the point to modify exhaust system is not really to add power but its more like to get back the power your car actaully have ..... for me ..... i think here very little ppl enlarge la .... as they don`t come in cheap prices ...... ppl mod to satisfy their needs .... as some of them plays in high n some plays in low .....
change whole piping bigger need how much roughly for LMST?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
gohkokeng said:
change whole piping bigger need how much roughly for LMST?
depends on what type or piping u want??... besi putih, stainless steel, or titanium... lolz...
as for mine, my one cost rm40 only.... i think the material is besi putih only la... haha...