Queries about Audi A4 B7 & Golf GTi MK5

option1978

Known Member

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
NAm considering switching to these 2 cars, sick & tired of searching high & low to mod my current ride. Also bcoz of unforeseen work requirement, would definitely need to swap my ride for something more elegant & presentable.

Have read about both the cars mentioned but I'm still confused & really appreciate some advice here on the followings:

Audi A4 B7
1. Transmission - is it true that the S-Line Quattro version comes with 6 speed while other versions comes with 7 speed?

2. Steering - Noticed that some of the models come with 4 spoke steering instead of 3. Different version?

3. S-Line - Noticed a lot advertised at S-Line, some with the S-line indicator at the front frille & side sill plate while others nothing to indicate that it's S-Line. What are the actual extras / enhancement in the S-Line models?

Golf GTi MK5
1. Interior color - noticed that most of the models are with grey interior but did found a few with beige & black (very rare) interior. Anything to look out for i.e. different country spec / special edition

2. Seat - While most that i saw were with leather seats, did found a few in fabric / chequered print. Again, whats with the latter? Special edition?

3. Problems - Read that the 05 & 06 models are more problematic compared to 07 & beyond. Someone mentioned that there are some minor tweaks & enhancement in the 07 & beyond models to resolved the 05 / 06 models, how true are these claims?

4. Performance - Saw some Wald versions which claimed to have higher HP & Torque. Same goes for some ABT version.How to know whether they are ori or just some add ons (decal, body kit etc)

Thanks in advance :wavey:

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
1 sedan, 1 hatch. that's like saying you got 2 girlfriends, 1 got big ass 1 got no ass, don't know which one to marry.

The Audi S Line could be a 1.8T, even in quattro guise. The GTi is definitely a 2.0T. I'll definitely choose the GTi.
S Line is the trim level, the rim, the car is lowered and others.

GTi in foreign country also got trim level. Fabric is base, leather is upgrade. etc.

ch1ck3n

Known Member

ch1ck3n

Known Member
Oct 16, 2004
a4 b7 1.8t and 2.0t is running the cvt gearbox which is not so suited for sporty drives and hard launches or even a sudden kick down in gear. CVT is mainly primed at fuel saving.

if you were to get the a4 b7 2.0t, make sure it is the quattro version cause that comes with a 6 speeder s-tronic i think or maybe a zf transmission. anyway miles ahead of the cvt box.

s-line has always been more of cosmetic changes instead of performance.

for the golf gti.
I think mainly almost all gti mk5 in malaysia is the DSG 6 speed box. This box in the gti is the wet clutch 6 speed which can take a lot of power improvement and still not fail compared to the new DSG 7 speed which are mainly on the jetta and golf mk6 tsi.

to get a golf gti, wald did have an option of a power upgrade which i think most probably consist of software upgrade when they were selling it but it did not came in as standard spec. ABT also has power up, for ABT spec cars i think it was add on front lip, side skirts and a new rear bumper to accomodate the quad ABT exhaust. The ABT also has software upgrade.

Leather seats = normal spec
Cheq seats/ Tartan seats = SE spec which was introduced later as like a FL kind of thing for the mk5.

Problems for both cars are plenty, but they are minor faults. A small price to pay to be sitting in a continental.

Notable problems for the gti mk5:-

ABS pump. most EXP problem
PCV failure. rm400-500 replacement
Door lock failing. rm850 replacement
DV failing. rm400-500 replacement
Aircond compressor failing. rm2500 replacement

I know a bit on the mk5 as I own one right now.

things to look out for the mk5 maintenance is :-

DSG GB Oil Flush
Cam Follower Wear and tear.
Turbo engine chews black oil if you are a heavy right footer.
Charcoal canister which can cause an EVAP error code.

The rest is just about the same as any other cars.

I am actually thinking of changing my car to a toyota gt 86 if i am able to sell my car.
If you are interested, you can email me at 192222

I can email you the full spec list but I can roughly list you what i have done here:-

Mine is a 08/09 Gti Mk5 SE with sunroof and tartan seats.

Replaced ABS pump
Replaced Aircond compressor
Replaced Door Lock
Fixed PCV failure by changing to a oil catch tank.
Replaced DV with latest revision DV by volkswagen
i have software upgrade, and a few notable mods.
if interested, you can contact me.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi loyal Zerotohundred.com people,

Welcome to Malaysia, West Coast Customs!

After being kept a secret from the public for months, the news has finally been released. The guys from West Coast Customs are in Malaysia for a tour!

Many organisations collaborated to make this happen, which will be announced soon.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience