Quarter Pounder: Thoughts on the 1.0T Almera Turbo one year on

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Taking a look back at the Almera Turbo one year on, let's talk about power. It's always easy to forget that at the heart of this zippy sedan sits a puny but potent, perfected 1.0T engine. More so, it's effectively a miniature sized performance powerplant with 1/4 the potency of its Nissan GTR cousin.

100ps / 152nm / 999cc 3 cylinder turbo / CVT / FWD / 1076kg / 180kmh / Almera VL RM83,888 SST RM79,906 / Almera VLP RM89,888 SST RM85,715 / Almera VLT RM95,888 SST RM91,310

At idle, signature 3 cylinder throb greets you at first introduction. Gently caressing the cabin when stopping by the traffic lights for example. This sensation is definitely detectable but mild and does eventually become unnoticeable with further exposure, maybe by the next couple of stops, just like white noise.

Other than that, in all driving conditions, there's no telling it's a 3 cylinder engine. Not that there's anything bad about being 1 pot short of the common 4, as long as it performs, and this compact HR10DET engine punches above its weight.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums/threads/hr10det-more-about-the-100ps-almera-turbo-engine.471273/

The Almera Turbo is energetic especially in the city. There is always dollops of turbo torque available at the squeeze of the throttle, unlike most of its non assisted NA 1.5L competitors, which naturally need some revving to get up to speed.

In this second impression, the 1L turbo still feel potent for what it is, relaxed in operation, boost is immediate and has a flat torque curve throughout. While it's a treat to zip around the city in it, there's no shortage of joy on the highway as well, can nonchalantly hover at 150kmh on windy Karak Highway for example and doesn't feel in any way inadequate for what it represents, in fact it surpasses most expectations.

Overall driving experience is an enjoyable one, better than expected and massively contributed by the modern rigid body for sure, with very decent NVH and ride quality for a B segment product.

Suspension is soft to medium in general, does roll a bit under load, but still well tuned nevertheless. It is surprisingly planted at speed and feels right at home on the highway as it does in the city.

The CVT box may sound like a turn off for some but it can still be a subjective experience based on driver execution. There's no escaping the inherent rubber band sensation especially for heavy footers. But these transmissions have improved and become more direct these days. As long as it is used well within its capability, all is good and tends to reward with an acceleration akin to a higher cc'ed car. The good news is, the Almera Turbo never scream in reluctance even at full throttle, or ever seem like it's trying too hard. It just goes.

Which is where it gets interesting. As talented as the Almera Turbo is in excelling its everyday, real world chores, be it in driveability, power or handling, surpassing expectations even, it is surprisingly conservative whilst climbing Genting Highlands, full uphill acceleration wise.

In my test up the famed mountain driving route, especially through its second sector where the inclines are steeper and there are more hairpins, the Almera Turbo almost always feels a "gear" higher. As if there's a deliberate cap in its acceleration, not because it can't but for some reasons it just won't, where sport mode made little to no difference as it wouldn't kick down to a lower "gear" and there are neither sequential nor paddle shiftting to excrete more juice.

Of course its never meant to be a hot hatch, but the Almera Turbo remains capable at the twisties, even rewarding, especially downhills where its overall lightness and the well tuned chassis really shine.

- Nice noticeable power, immediate, responsive, smooth
- Sweet driveability, handles well, comfortable in the city
- Good seating position and seat adjustability

Dislikes:
- No paddle or sequential shifting
- Prefer no nonsense interior over splashes of faux premium
- Spirited hill climbing is its kryptonite

Previous impressions:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/forums/threads/review-2020-nissan-almera-turbo-vlt.471159/

Reactions: alcyon

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I didn't know this was a 1.0T. I've seen it tailgating people on highways and streets of PJ like it's a 1.8 at least.

Interesting. This changes my initial respect for this car. And I suppose the fact that Tan Cheong still monopolizes the Nissan spart parts market in Malaysia means the maintenance is not cheap for this car? Relative to the cost of the car I mean.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
TBH very handsome car. But at that price point it’s a tough sell against the likes of X50.

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
A very hensem car and i really like the infinity seat. Wondered why so little on the road?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
A very hensem car and i really like the infinity seat. Wondered why so little on the road?
Cause it’s not a SUV. And not T or H.
At it’s asking price I’ll buy X50. It definitely looks better than the equivalent T or H. But spare parts issue as Izso points out means this car is not cheap to maintain.

so it’s not cheap to buy, not cheap to maintain, has crappy resale value.

the old Almera tin kosong was cheap. Why buy P2/P1 when you can have jepang? But the new myvi with full suite of safety tech rendered that irrelevant.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Agree with Tom on the signature 3 cyl vibration. Its very noticeable when stopping at red light or jam.
The cvt gearing and behaviour hides the engine displacement very well indeed. It behaves like a 1.6 NA. As with any small engine slapped with eco friendly turbo, the 'wanting' feeling is there but its not a deal breaker.

However, not sure if the unit i am driving has its tire pumped to well above the recommended pressure as ride is firm. Just like driving around with over inflated tires. I did asked the owner multiple times if the tire is pump to the recommended pressure which he replied multiple times with 'yes'. I still have doubt on this.

And...just like the previous Almari, engine parts will be european expensive as there are still french car company logo under the bonnet.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Counted very blessed again to be able to do a quick turn around for this bull.....a master piece from Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A

my first bull detailing many many years ago

tada
Ferruccio Lamborghini, the man who would found Automobili Ferruccio Lamborghini S.p.A. in 1963

and so Lamborghini's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience