Proton Ertiga unveiled - 1.4-litre, EEV-certified, from RM59k!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
But the intake plenum is plastic so should not easily transfers heat.
Yah, the plugs I think cannot use normal cheap plugs but I haven't change mine yet, still only 50k km mileage.

Yeah typical of ZTH what! :biggrin:
New engines today are so delicate. Need extra care for this and that. :banghead: Sometimes when people used to bash Vios for the same 1NZ-FE that they are using, I don't think that is a bad decision... If they are proven to be reliable and simple, just use it. Change new engine, later new problem arises, everyone loses their mind. Like the Audi A4 thread where you mention it consumes engine oil like crazy. New high tech engine but still a lot of failure.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
New engines today are so delicate. Need extra care for this and that. :banghead: Sometimes when people used to bash Vios for the same 1NZ-FE that they are using, I don't think that is a bad decision... If they are proven to be reliable and simple, just use it. Change new engine, later new problem arises, everyone loses their mind. Like the Audi A4 thread where you mention it consumes engine oil like crazy. New high tech engine but still a lot of failure.
Maybe purposely engineered to fail so that they can have good business in parts & services too. :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Maybe purposely engineered to fail so that they can have good business in parts & services too. :biggrin:
Hahahahahaha. But that will drag down their reputation. I guess those western car reviewers have some truth in their saying that Japanese cars are always reliable compared to Euro cars.

Now, I don't really trust anything much from Volkswagen group. So many stupid problems in their car lineup... Only Porsche seems to be doing good with a lot of praises though.... Maybe because Porsche is the main shareholder or VW Group...

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I just went to Proton showroom last week to test drive the new Saga and take a look at this Ertiga. In term of space, it's slightly bigger than Perodua Alza. Didn't get to test drive it as there was no test drive unit available at that time. Overall fit and finish I think it's not bad (its a Suzuki underneath, so should be no problem).

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Exactly!

If the engine is high compression, like 10:1 or above then you may feel just a slight benefit of ron97 but if not then it won't. It got nothing to do with being a new car or old car. I'm using Toyota Mark X with 12:1 compression, granted it's a GDI engine, but even with such high compression the difference between 95 & 97 is not really significant. No knocking when I use 95, fuel consumption also about the same, which means my engine has mapping for as low as ron95, so I just use 95 even though ideally in Japan use 98, not even 97.

As for turbo cars like your 4G93T, it should give more significant power increase if you turn up the boost higher! The higher ron allows you to achieve higher boost, that's the benefit. If not increasing the boost then will not feel anything la.
My CFE engine knocks a bit when using RON95. I can hear it clearly on a hot afternoon, especially when accelerating hard. No knocking at all when using RON97. Complained a few times already at Proton SC, but still they couldn't solve the problem. So I just use RON97 although its getting more expensive nowadays.. arghh! :banghead:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I just went to Proton showroom last week to test drive the new Saga and take a look at this Ertiga. In term of space, it's slightly bigger than Perodua Alza. Didn't get to test drive it as there was no test drive unit available at that time. Overall fit and finish I think it's not bad (its a Suzuki underneath, so should be no problem).

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

My CFE engine knocks a bit when using RON95. I can hear it clearly on a hot afternoon, especially when accelerating hard. No knocking at all when using RON97. Complained a few times already at Proton SC, but still they couldn't solve the problem. So I just use RON97 although its getting more expensive nowadays.. arghh! :banghead:
If use all Suzuki just re-badge then should not be bad. If start using local cheaper parts like proton then will have problem....lol

Well, if knock have to use Ron97, better than having the engine fail.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If use all Suzuki just re-badge then should not be bad. If start using local cheaper parts like proton then will have problem....lol

Well, if knock have to use Ron97, better than having the engine fail.....:driver:
Is Suzuki cars reliable? I have a friend who drove an old Vitara, always have problems until can't start the engine.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Vitara too old dy.....lol
What I know a lot complain expensive parts.....hhahhahaha:rofl:
Probably Vitara engine not as reliable as 4G1 series or Toyota's 4A-FE. :biggrin:

Another friend owned a 4 year old Alto. He told me the car isn't really that good. But he din't say anything specific about what is not good.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
From proton ER3, left right, u-turn, until vitara....hahahaha
Anyone can buy car, but make sure survey maintenance and spare parts cost....etc. IF can afford, buy that car, drive + maintain until reput. Don follow trends...later regret with no tears. lol...:banghead:
If listen this not good, that not good....some say "cold door"....at the end, no car bought.
what car is maintenance free wohhh ?? Hybrid car aslo, battery can konggg...
Just chill, survey the wallet yah...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Different people different priorities. Some want second hand value, some looks/design, some good drive handle well and so on, so choose accordingly.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
From proton ER3, left right, u-turn, until vitara....hahahaha
Anyone can buy car, but make sure survey maintenance and spare parts cost....etc. IF can afford, buy that car, drive + maintain until reput. Don follow trends...later regret with no tears. lol...:banghead:
If listen this not good, that not good....some say "cold door"....at the end, no car bought.
what car is maintenance free wohhh ?? Hybrid car aslo, battery can konggg...
Just chill, survey the wallet yah...
Depends on what kind of maintenance though. Like some cars they might come off priced as cheap, but when maintenance come, those who don't know much about cars will be very surprised at the cost. Lets say maybe Kia Rio with 17 inch wheels. The one who bought it might thought that tyre price may just be as cheap as those 15 inch tyres from Almera or Vios since Rio is at that price range. Then found out suddenly 17 inch tyres are more expensive than 15. Or maybe one who bought a Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI. Seems like the costs for clutch replacement costs as much as RM3.9k. A normal owner wouldn't have expected that kind of price for around RM100k mark.

Here's the article about how much does the clutch replacement usually cost.
http://paultan.org/2014/09/12/vgm-clutch-rm1888/

Nice and high tech equipment may look nice on spec sheets but if you plan to use the car for a long period of time like more than 10 years, probably it is better to avoid these kind of featured loaded cars. Later this or that part got problem, need to burn a lot of money.

Different people different priorities. Some want second hand value, some looks/design, some good drive handle well and so on, so choose accordingly.....lol
Second hand value are for those who treat cars as a transport from point A to B. Mostly they don't mind if the car is fun to drive or not.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Should have just rebadge the Swift

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, i am looking at purchasing a RX-8, which i am aware that it is a rotary and fuel hog. Its just for my weekend drive. Manual transmission is around RM50k. The cons would be, no matter what the previous owner says about the engine, it may still fail and i would be looking at a rebuild at about RM8k or transplant, which is about 12k. The pros about a manual transmission RX-8 at this price range would be that it is maintained well than the much lower priced ones.

Alternatively if i get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience