Proper Way to Clean Alloy Wheel

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hello all sifus,
What is the proper way to clean and maintain alloy wheel, especially mine is black paint coated.

This is the type of wheel I am talking about. The brake dust and road tar have not been properly cleaned for a long time. The paint is not as shiny as new.

This is what I have in hand, a Soft99. Can I use this to polish my wheel?

I am totally blank about car detailing. Appreciate suggestions very much.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
If they are coated or painted, just treat it like you normally would treat your car's bodywork. The Meta Clean would work nicely to polish your wheels.

Just take note that the wheels are subjected to much more abuse than the paintwork like brake dust, mud, tar, etc. so just remember to clean them well and remove as much contaminant as you can before polishing them.

Good luck. I think you'd really need them judging from the number of spokes there. Just remember to take your time and don't rush.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
is that brembo i just saw...:)
No, it is not. Just an aesthetic cover.:embarassed:

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

If they are coated or painted, just treat it like you normally would treat your car's bodywork. The Meta Clean would work nicely to polish your wheels.

Just take note that the wheels are subjected to much more abuse than the paintwork like brake dust, mud, tar, etc. so just remember to clean them well and remove as much contaminant as you can before polishing them.

Good luck. I think you'd really need them judging from the number of spokes there. Just remember to take your time and don't rush.
Thank you. I will just clean in such a way and see the result and update here later.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Soft99 is sort of a all in one (polish, cleaner, wax). It's not bad. You can use to polish, shine and protect it. But if it is heavily soiled with tar and brake dust, I suggest you clay it first then only polish and wax. If still too hard, might need tar spot remover.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Finally I have gotten the opportunity to put my hand on the wheels on Sunday morning. Really have nothing in hand except the item stated above, a Soft99 Meta-Clean. I washed the car with Amway car wash. I took me 4 hours to get thing done, it was a tedious job! Thank you for all the suggestions and advices.

A lot better compared to the previous condition after polishing and waxing with Meta-Clean. Can see some reflection on the wheel. :love:

Fade paint abundant...:bawling:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Nice job... And you have nice rims ;)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greets all and thanks a lot for viewing my post and thanks in advance for any advisement(s) :listen:

Recently bought an old(er) Perdana SE 2.0 (4cyl) yr. 1998 for good price - it's all stock and needs some maintenance eg. engine mounts, some suspension work, etc. estimated 2K worth of repairs is needed to get her back into basic shape - the body is in good condition and does not need any repairs. Gearbox is good as it's an automatic (so far - yes I've read the can be problematic).

So...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience