Project MU brake products: are they very good?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi ZTH friends & forumers,
I'm thinking to upgrade my brakes with this Project Mu brand from Japan. They have 2 types of pads available for my car: B-Spec and Bestop. The B-Spec looks very promising but the price is also a lot more expensive. So my question is are they really good stuff? How much better is the B-Spec compared to the Bestop? (since B-Spec price is like 60% more expensive than Bestop, and even the Bestop is already pretty expensive too).
How do they compare to cheaper brands like Bendix Metal King which cost less than half?

Appreciate your inputs especially those who have used these products. I really need to improve my braking performance cause my car's std brakes really suck! :(
Thx all.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
Maybe u can try out bendix 1st, cos if u dun like it, its cheap to replace n sell off. Dun jump into expensive brand if u dun have the budget. For me bendix is good enough for normal driving condition, not talking track here. N harder pad not rotor friendly.

Project Mu is famous brand in braking system, should held up the their claim on the performance, but there r similar pad out there which cost less.

Note. there r fake japan pad out there even pro shop cannot identify, example the ENDLESS pad have many fake that many stop selling them.

Last edited:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
I've no idea on this pad but alot workshops recommend this pad. I know Bestop is normal pad. But you can try IMP platinum or Rapidstop pad, it's good yet cheap.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe u can try out bendix 1st, cos if u dun like it, its cheap to replace n sell off. Dun jump into expensive brand if u dun have the budget. For me bendix is good enough for normal driving condition, not talking track here. N harder pad not rotor friendly.

Project Mu is famous brand in braking system, should held up the their claim on the performance, but there r similar pad out there which cost less.

Note. there r fake japan pad out there even pro shop cannot identify, example the ENDLESS pad have many fake that many stop selling them.
Hmm good point. I'm actually thinking to maybe use the P.Mu for the front and Bendix for the rear.
Whoa got fakes like that ha? Then how to make sure I don't get cheated? :confused:

I've no idea on this pad but alot workshops recommend this pad. I know Bestop is normal pad. But you can try IMP platinum or Rapidstop pad, it's good yet cheap.
Hmm these are made in where? My car is Toyota Mark X, so many brands don't seem to have also. :(

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hmm these are made in where? My car is Toyota Mark X, so many brands don't seem to have also. :([/QUOTE]

Not mistaken, both are from our bolehland. My friend very satisfied on IMP platinum on his persona. I think cost him around RM180 (front). I not sure their brand got Mark X model or not. Maybe you can try contact Drex from EA auto workshop at Bukit Jalil.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Whoa got fakes like that ha? Then how to make sure I don't get cheated? :confused:

Hmm these are made in where? My car is Toyota Mark X, so many brands don't seem to have also. :(

buy from authorized distributors

rapidstop...contact maddriver in LYN....hes like the main guy for that brand

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hmm good point. I'm actually thinking to maybe use the P.Mu for the front and Bendix for the rear.

I have tried all the Bendix Metal King from Metal King plus, Gold and Titanium and now on Trestor Blue Advantage, and I find this is better then Bendix. Cold bite so much better, but dust a lot more....:rolleyes:
Try to find what other car make uses same same pads as the Mark X. Like for me my VR uses same pads as the Pajero V6, so if ask for VR4 pads they say don't have, but you ask for Pajero V6 pads they ask you what brand and model do you want. I was once given Bendix, Akebono, Sumitomo and Ferrodo to choose from.....hahahaha:biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
6uest : Project MU is seriously expensive stuff! Personally for the same money (probably less actually) I'd rather buy EBC Greenstuff or Ultimax.

Ferodo Zero is nice too but finding a reliable seller is rare. I think Kentgoh has it so might be worthwhile asking him? He's a spare parts seller.

Bendix metal king - you might want to reconsider this since your car is so much heavier. These are very aggressive pads and will eat into your rotor faster than normal. Great bite but at the expense of the rotor.

Like what tayarking vr2 said, Trestor blue advantage is a pretty good pad. But personal experience is that fades when under pressure but I doubt you'll be zooming up and down Genting in your Mark X.

G'luck with pad shopping. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
6uest : Project MU is seriously expensive stuff! Personally for the same money (probably less actually) I'd rather buy EBC Greenstuff or Ultimax.

Ferodo Zero is nice too but finding a reliable seller is rare. I think Kentgoh has it so might be worthwhile asking him? He's a spare parts seller.

Bendix metal king - you might want to reconsider this since your car is so much heavier. These are very aggressive pads and will eat into your rotor faster than normal. Great bite but at the expense of the rotor.

Like what tayarking vr2 said, Trestor blue advantage is a pretty good pad. But personal experience is that fades when under pressure but I doubt you'll be zooming up and down Genting in your Mark X.

I know the Bendix metal king bites better when hot, but the Testor seems to be better then the Metal King in my VR, and that is from cold to hot. So far have not encounter fade with them. The fade you encounter is like for what use? Coming down Genting?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I know the Bendix metal king bites better when hot, but the Testor seems to be better then the Metal King in my VR, and that is from cold to hot. So far have not encounter fade with them. The fade you encounter is like for what use? Coming down Genting?
Not necessarily Genting, mine was just downhill. I dunno why everyone says Metal King bites better when hot. Mine bites all the time.

:hmmmm:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I have used EBC Ultimax (Black) and Sumitomo (SEI). My car is for street driving, and both these pads perform tremendously well for street (cold start, start stop driving etc.). I had a friend use EBC Green and it wasn't that good during morning cold starts, where the pads and rotors are cold.

EBC Ultimax was very very very dusty despite its marketing material saying less dust. SEI had virtually no dust.

I don't think you need stuff like Project Mu for street driving unless you are a street racer like Takumi.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I've checked that EBC don't have for my car. Ferodo not sure if also have for my car and who still sells them nowadays, same with Trestor. I just check already with Kent Goh and he does not sell those brands.

So far only able to find Project Mu & Bendix MKT. I think I'll go with the Project Mu NS Type (which is below the B-Spec but higher than the std Bestop) for front & MKT for rear. I have to replace since my rear is almost completely gone already! I'll also replace the front rotor with Project Mu slotted one, plus the brake hose with stainless stell ones (got Pro-RS one for mine). So looks like I gotta fork out quite a large sum for this but no choice. :( This brake upgrade is critical for my car, much more than any other mods!

Have not yet dare to go Genting with this car due to the sucky brakes!

I have used EBC Ultimax (Black) and Sumitomo (SEI). My car is for street driving, and both these pads perform tremendously well for street (cold start, start stop driving etc.). I had a friend use EBC Green and it wasn't that good during morning cold starts, where the pads and rotors are cold.

EBC Ultimax was very very very dusty despite its marketing material saying less dust. SEI had virtually no dust.

I don't think you need stuff like Project Mu for street driving unless you are a street racer like Takumi.
Project Mu also got many different grades/levels. They have their entry level (Bestop) which is supposed to be almost like ori pads, then got several levels afterwards all the way to race pads. The one I'm considering to get now is 1 level up than the Bestop, which is NS Type, still for street sport driving, not yet track driving.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
6uest : Personally, I'd change the pads but keep the stock hoses if it's not worn out. Then spend the money 'saved' on a caliper service kit.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not necessarily Genting, mine was just downhill. I dunno why everyone says Metal King bites better when hot. Mine bites all the time.

:hmmmm:
My 3 sets of BMK Plus, Gold and Titanium works the same. Good when cold, better when hot. Then change to Trestor Blue, which bite very much better when cold, same when hot and have not felt any fade before.... :driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Finally this afternoon I went and upgrade my brakes with these stuff:
1. Project Mu slotted front disc rotors
2. Project Mu NS-Type (400 deg) front pads
3. Bendix Metal King Titanium rear pads
4. Pro-RS brake hose
Initial impression is very good and confidence inspiring even though still bedding in and no hard braking yet. The initial bite is hugely improved like night and day, just a light touch of the pedal now already gives a good bite! :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need help sifu sifu, is been quite some time that there is rattle sound at the rear of my car, the rattle sound is on and off, but this few weeks, it didnt go off at all, which pretty irritates me when driving.

Any solutions that can help bro???
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience