Project cars and all

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I've been thinking that IF I go for a project car in perhaps 5-6 years and given the limited budget, what car would be a good choice and why?

I've been having pretty weird nightly dreams of driving my old Wira around, kinda shows how much I miss having a car I can properly enjoy.

Anyway, what would be your project car, budget breakdown and how would you go about project-ing it?

(Yes - this sounds very much like *another* one of those type of threads. Sorry la)

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Proton Satria 1.6 Manual. even on stock form its a pretty decent handling car/chassis. the car itself is cheap... parts are abundance. parts are cheap.
mods can be cheap or expensive. tonnes of knowledgeable workshops. modification options practically limitless.

for outright power.. Nissan Cefiro A31. car itself is cheap. FR layout. and u can fit an RB26 in there. even RB25 equipped cars are cheaper than than a stock converted EG6. and its a 4 door sedan so can still be used as a family car :D

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've been thinking that IF I go for a project car in perhaps 5-6 years and given the limited budget, what car would be a good choice and why?

I've been having pretty weird nightly dreams of driving my old Wira around, kinda shows how much I miss having a car I can properly enjoy.

Anyway, what would be your project car, budget breakdown and how would you go about project-ing it?

(Yes - this sounds very much like *another* one of those type of threads. Sorry la)
Lancer Evo IX or VIII MR.
Budget breakdowns? Hmm difficult to estimate but probably just what ever it takes to get it up to max 300-350whp and can still be daily driven.
First make sure all in good condition especially exterior & interior and basically healthy in stock before starting to upgrade bit by bit.
Usually I'd start with suspension, rims & tires, then maybe brakes (but Evo brakes is pretty good already so maybe just upgrade the pads, brake hose, and discs).
Only then start moving to power upgrades but probably try to retain stock turbo or upgrade to the ones with magnesium turbine if the stock car doesn't come with it yet (only IX MR comes with such turbine if not mistaken). May want to stroke it to 2.3ltr also to get more torque down below.

Oh ya audio system also must be upgraded to keep me company during traffic jams, but would not spend much on it, probably just similar with what I've done to my Mark X (decent front component set plus 2 cheap powered under seat subs). :biggrin:

And of course must have all security measures I can think of!

Cannot think too much detail yet coz haven't really own one.:smokin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Kelisa. Transplant YRV turbo and improved handling
Cheap and nice.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Kelisa. Transplant YRV turbo and improved handling
Cheap and nice.
Having owned a Kelisa in the past, I didn't like it then, I won't like it now. Cheap yes, nice no. Actually - cheap where got cheap? The engine mounts altogether are so bloody expensive.

Lancer Evo IX or VIII MR.
Budget breakdowns? Hmm difficult to estimate but probably just what ever it takes to get it up to max 300-350whp and can still be daily driven.
First make sure all in good condition especially exterior & interior and basically healthy in stock before starting to upgrade bit by bit.
Usually I'd start with suspension, rims & tires, then maybe brakes (but Evo brakes is pretty good already so maybe just upgrade the pads, brake hose, and discs).
Only then start moving to power upgrades but probably try to retain stock turbo or upgrade to the ones with magnesium turbine if the stock car doesn't come with it yet (only IX MR comes with such turbine if not mistaken). May want to stroke it to 2.3ltr also to get more torque down below.

Oh ya audio system also must be upgraded to keep me company during traffic jams, but would not spend much on it, probably just similar with what I've done to my Mark X (decent front component set plus 2 cheap powered under seat subs). :biggrin:

And of course must have all security measures I can think of!

Cannot think too much detail yet coz haven't really own one.:smokin:
Dude... I dunno about you but my budget isn't that big. Besides, this is a project car, it's not going to be a daily. But if that's what rocks your boat, good on you man!

Proton Satria 1.6 Manual. even on stock form its a pretty decent handling car/chassis. the car itself is cheap... parts are abundance. parts are cheap.
mods can be cheap or expensive. tonnes of knowledgeable workshops. modification options practically limitless.

for outright power.. Nissan Cefiro A31. car itself is cheap. FR layout. and u can fit an RB26 in there. even RB25 equipped cars are cheaper than than a stock converted EG6. and its a 4 door sedan so can still be used as a family car :D
Nice. But I've heard the Cefiro is too much aging as it is, probably will be hard to find a good condition chassis?

bro, what is your preference? jap or conti?
"Your project car". I was asking everyone in general if you had a budget what would be your choice.

Personally - I have no preference. Just no French.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dude... I dunno about you but my budget isn't that big. Besides, this is a project car, it's not going to be a daily. But if that's what rocks your boat, good on you man!
So far never been able to have a separate project car from daily one coz not enough budget and no place to keep the extra car too! (only have 2 car parks, one for mine and the other for the wife).
If going a bit cheaper, I'd just get older Evos like Evo IV-VII, but still basically doing similar things.

Still haven't been able to realize this yet though.:smokin:

e-jump

Known Member
Mar 13, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
after watching bunch of WheelersDealers, if i were to have a project car, maybe an SW20 or Beat.
Why? I never driven a midship car, and with the engine in the rears, would like to hands on/learn on improving coolings n engine power up etc.

I dont know the budget would be, but what i would do
- beaten sw20 or beat would be fine as long the body shell is in good condition. body restoration
- if engine is fine, might consider rebuilt for turbo. doesnt need to be fast, but more on fun handling.
- stock interiors refurb/replacement.

all-in-all, it needs to be so different than what i currently drive.
but then again, my DD is an old almost-20yo EG =__="

*i'd consider a Lotus if theres cheap one going around due to beaten engine/interiors

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So far never been able to have a separate project car from daily one coz not enough budget and no place to keep the extra car too! (only have 2 car parks, one for mine and the other for the wife).
If going a bit cheaper, I'd just get older Evos like Evo IV-VII, but still basically doing similar things.

Still haven't been able to realize this yet though.:smokin:
Yeah me too. Had a free car and couldn't even keep that. LOL! But project cars don't always have to be expensive. I heard you can get a KE70 for less than 3k these days. But that kinda car probably will need a lot of rust work.

Personally I want a cheap 4WD to play with. One fine day.

after watching bunch of WheelersDealers, if i were to have a project car, maybe an SW20 or Beat.
Why? I never driven a midship car, and with the engine in the rears, would like to hands on/learn on improving coolings n engine power up etc.

I dont know the budget would be, but what i would do
- beaten sw20 or beat would be fine as long the body shell is in good condition. body restoration
- if engine is fine, might consider rebuilt for turbo. doesnt need to be fast, but more on fun handling.
- stock interiors refurb/replacement.

all-in-all, it needs to be so different than what i currently drive.
but then again, my DD is an old almost-20yo EG =__="

*i'd consider a Lotus if theres cheap one going around due to beaten engine/interiors
Wow, SW20 / Lotus no matter the age will be expensive man!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Satria with 4G63T loh! My friend did one. Dismantle, polish, balance and mod further until he got 340 bhp out of it. Anyway is project right, not legal......hhahhahahahhaha:rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Get an old mini and build it up from there. It would be fun, zippy and darts around easily like a go-cart.

The car is so small, that repair work and be done in confined spaces. Parts won't take up spaces as well.
You could even service the car indoor. hahaha...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Get an old mini and build it up from there. It would be fun, zippy and darts around easily like a go-cart.

The car is so small, that repair work and be done in confined spaces. Parts won't take up spaces as well.
You could even service the car indoor. hahaha...
Parts difficult to find and expensive.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah me too. Had a free car and couldn't even keep that. LOL! But project cars don't always have to be expensive. I heard you can get a KE70 for less than 3k these days. But that kinda car probably will need a lot of rust work.

Personally I want a cheap 4WD to play with. One fine day.

For me I avoid too old beaten up cars coz I need to use immediately for daily so at least must be decent enough to be used straight away. I also like Altezza and S15R but Evos are still top of my list.

If I were still in Jkt, I'd actually buy a 1995-1996 320E W124 manual and fix it up nicely. I like this car very much coz it's very comfortable but yet powerful enough, reliable, sturdy body, and easy to maintain, not like today's complicated cars. Can upgrade engine to 3.8ltr using Brabus kit some more. :driver: But here due to the stupid road tax, I have to forgone this! :banghead:

If cheap AWD then get early 90s Mitsubishi Galant VR4 lor, that's the cheapest and an excellent car already! Second option is first gen Subaru WRX GC8 but still much more expensive than VR4. I'd go with the VR4 if I were you, still got a few on sale these days.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Parts difficult to find and expensive.....
"Playing" car is hardly an affordable affair, for that matter.
Even daily bread & butter ride need money to keep it running.

My die-cast car collection oso expensive as hobby, if I total-up the money I have spent on them.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guy's,

Im very confused here. why is it the higher pressure apply to the fuel pump, the lower flow it will be?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience