Programmable camshafts?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
camshafts are mechanical items....its basically just a stick of metal...

for something to be programmable it needs to be electrical.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
VVTI, DVVT, 2nd Gen MIVEC, iVTEC... These are actually programmable...

The cams duration are are controllable via the electronic variable pulley. Which can be mapped and reprogram depending on expertise...

Example, Kiggly successfully installed an EVO 9 cam pulley into an EVO 3 and program it to vary the duration increment vs RPM for his drag application with a Haltech E11 v2(previously)

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
VVTI, DVVT, 2nd Gen MIVEC, iVTEC... These are actually programmable...

The cams duration are are controllable via the electronic variable pulley. Which can be mapped and reprogram depending on expertise...

Example, Kiggly successfully installed an EVO 9 cam pulley into an EVO 3 and program it to vary the duration increment vs RPM for his drag application with a Haltech E11 v2(previously)
So does this mean that engines with the programmable camshafts do not have the physical metal camshafts? Is it present in the current Lancer GT?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Camshaft looks like this .. it is NOT PROGRAMMABLE!!

Programmable ECU looks like this.. THIS IS PROGRAMMABLE!! it can advance or retard the camshaft timing..

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i think the right word is "variable" not "programmable"...it will make much more sense...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
So does this mean that engines with the programmable camshafts do not have the physical metal camshafts? Is it present in the current Lancer GT?
Nope.. Camshaft is still camshaft. The basic duration of the cams are still there. But the duration is no longer solely determined by the cam lobe alone. It can be advance/retard electronically via a motor mounted on the pulley.

how does programmable camshafts work? any source/link?
Vanos from BMW
BMW VVT Vanos CAM Timing - YouTube

iVTEC from Honda
K-Series iVTEC VTC Cam Phasing System - In Depth - YouTube

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

i think the right word is "variable" not "programmable"...it will make much more sense...
Programmable variable camshaft....

That's more like it...

quicksilver7

Known Member
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Yup I know about the ability to advance or retard the cam timing. But I wanted to know if programmable camshafts mean that it's possible for the ECU to change the cam duration on it's own. At least that's what I thought it meant by the word "programmable".

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
Yup I know about the ability to advance or retard the cam timing. But I wanted to know if programmable camshafts mean that it's possible for the ECU to change the cam duration on it's own. At least that's what I thought it meant by the word "programmable".
i think the correct term for that is "cam phasing"...programmable sound a little off to me...

simply put yes it is possible for the ecu to control the cam duration...but that i think is old technology already...nowdays some car maker incorporate both cam phasing and cam profile...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
F*ck the terminology game....

Like said, the pulley has be able to control since Haltech E11 V2 time.... That was years back...

Dual camshaft valve timing also old technology la... BMW 16 years ago already have Double Vanos in their M3 engine...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
u can't 'control' cam duration.. u just change it with another cam..

however, u can 'control' the 'timing' of the cam using ECU..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You know those progressive springs where the closer part coils always knocks each another when you're going through potholes, how to protect them from scratching till they rust? rubber water hose? got ah so small size ones?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience