Pipercam Cam Shaft (4G13/15)

Speeder

Known Member
Mar 15, 2009
Dear all,

Please share your experience and comment after install Pipercam cam shaft.

My comment:-

I already install the piper cam in my car (Wira 1.5 SVDO) and use around 1 month. I feel the power is lag than before change to Pipercam when start run from 1K ~ 2.5K rpm. Isn't got any problem? Can you all help me to study the best degree (adjustable cam pulley) to be adjust to gain more power? The FC also become high a bit (before can run over than 550km per tank but now only can run around 450km per tank), around RM0.155/km. Got any others solution to solve it?

P.S.: The FC increase after install Pipercam cam shaft. Previously others modify no affect to FC, around 0.135/km. Maybe 1 of the reason the FC increase also cause by injector change from 182cc to 240cc but there is no so big significant before install Pipercam cam shaft.

My car SPEC:
Proton Wira 4G15 SVDO, Injector change from 182cc to 240cc, Simota open pod air filter with CAI, Zerone lighten crank pulley, Pipercam cam shaft, Works adjustable cam pulley (current: advance 3 degree), side gap spark plug, Lotus king plug cable, Zaptor VS, E-power ignition spark, Super Touring 8" flywheel (clutch cover and Mitsubishi clutch pad), Cyclone (2 pcs), Grounding, 4-2-1 extractor, mid box, 1.6" piping, S-flow muffler and adjust sensor of crank pulley (a bit down than current, around 9 o'clock).

Regards.

joshua7paul

Known Member
Jun 6, 2009
hey

I'm not pro with this..but when i installed my adjustable cam pulley, my mechanic only adjust it 1.5 degrees advance.the usual setting is always between 1-2degrees advance..the reason being, if we set it too advance, the car will feel light during acceleration but no power. My guess is, ur adjustable cam pulley degree is too advance and not in play with ur cam's degree.

Speeder

Known Member
Mar 15, 2009
Joshua,

Actually 1mm = 2 degree as marking at the cam pully
My one is 1.5mm = 3 degree.

So yours either is 0.75mm = 1.5 degree or 1.5mm = 3 degree, which one?

My Pipercam seller recommend me advance to 3 degree after install Pipercam cam shaft.

Also got some body adjust to retard 4 degree or more a bit after install Pipercam cam shaft.

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
ur FC so high bcos u change the piper cam(high cam) high cam can lost ur low RPM torque but is gain in mid n top end power ,( think the vtec engine, y they use low cam n high cam setting? y not direct use the high cam? )when u lost low end torque ur car alredy is no power no pick up!so... ur FC will get high, u need restore ur low end with adjustable cam pully n install piggy back ecu like afc neo/ e-manage to retuned ur Air fuel bcos u already change to high cam is mean get more air liao..ur stock ecu cant automatically support more fuel ,i think ur air fuel ratio is too lean(power lose) , u need retuned back ur AFR ! trust me, this can help restore ur engine to max power up guarantee!

Bump: cam timming advance=low end torque (more torque)
retard = top end power (more hp)

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
you mean when u install the cams you feel like your car performs worst than the stock 4g15 cam?

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
you mean when u install the cams you feel like your car performs worst than the stock 4g15 cam?
not too bad la...just feel no power or pick up at low RPM, (is same u change to open port air filter olso can lose low end power ) but u can feel the difference when at high RPM

Last edited:

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
definitely should be the setting...too advanced..many have installed these cams without a piggyback installed and have not heard that it makes the performance worst and no feel of improvement at all....there will definitlely have improvements on mid range to high end.

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
advance 3 degrees at the crank or the cam?don't get confused...hehe...

to get more torque try retarding it, but anyway the main purpose of high cam is for mid to high torque, not so much of pick up,

i myself using pipercams on auto 4g15, pick up really suffer, retard at 4 degrees, suprisingly FC improve after installation...

but don't retard too much, might lose your pick up and your mid range speed at the same time, i think you should stick to max 4 degrees retard on cam!

just my two cents....

anyway, are you having problem with your tappet sound after the pipercams?mine super noisy....

Speeder

Known Member
Mar 15, 2009
1st, I will try to adjust the cam pulley to retard 4 degree and test base on ettm_14 advice........ Tappet sound also have but not so noisy.............

My car ECU is SVDO, isn't piggy back useful to my ECU? As I know that SVDO ECU will back to normal when you adjust anything with piggy back.

My timing too advance? So which timing is suitable to my car?

The website www.4g1series.cjb.net which recommended, the sifu/uncle will help to solve my problem?

blind_lan

Mar 25, 2009
i think better u try 1 degree a day..then you know which is to pick..

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
Speeder: what oil viscosity and brand are you using?mine sound like old old taxi...lols

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any good shows on TV you can recommend about cars? I saw a good one that is coming soon to discovery called Chop Shop, where two guys remake wrecks and sell them on http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/chopshop/ - it looks pretty good....any other ideas?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience