Photos Of My 93' Corolla

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Spoiled the Corolla a little today:

* Bought a full set of AE101 Cusco coilovers. Cleaned them today, will fit them in the next few days.

* Changed to the facelift JDM tail lights and garnish because I got sick of my pre-facelift JDM ones. Had some in a little while ago but didn't really like the look, however now that I have a rear lip fitted it looks much better.

* Fitted some 7mm Ultra Power silicone spark plug wires (made in Japan). Didn't have a chance to clean them before taking the photos.

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
~Bro, admired ur photos skill!!!~

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
I added another rare optional extra to my collection today. It's called a 'conlight'. At first I had no idea what it was and had only ever seen a tiny thumbnail of one in the original sales brochure. There is absolutely no information or pictures of them anywhere online so I wasn't sure if it was a light, a sensor, a strobe light for some quirky Japanese outdoor dancing, or what the heck it was, but after looking at it a little longer I figured out that it's an automatic headlight sensor!!

The clear lens faces towards the front windscreen and detects the level of light outside. As soon as the sun sets and the light level is low enough (or you go under a bridge etc) the park lights and/or headlights will come on, depending how dark it is. The headlight stalk is always set to off as the sensor does all of the work (however you can switch the unit off or select that you only want the park lights to illuminate so you have manual control over when the actual headlights come on).

It was 100% plug-and-play by using a special loom that it had specifically for this option. All I had to do was unplug my existing combination switch plugs and connect them to the new connectors, which basically just acts as an extension with wires branching off it for the conlight to function.

The beauty of this option is that you can never accidentally leave your headlights on as the unit only works when the key is turned to the 'ON' position. It's pretty gimmicky but would have been very revolutionary in it's time. A lot of the newer cars these days don't even have such a feature as it seems to only be limited to up-market and 'luxury' cars.

I personally think it's a great quirky piece of Japanese ingenuity and it's another thing to add to my growing list of optional extras :D

Here's a pic from the original sales brochure, followed by pics of the actual unit taken by myself:

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
I added another rare optional extra to my collection today. It's called a 'conlight'. At first I had no idea what it was and had only ever seen a tiny thumbnail of one in the original sales brochure. There is absolutely no information or pictures of them anywhere online so I wasn't sure if it was a light, a sensor, a strobe light for some quirky Japanese outdoor dancing, or what the heck it was, but after looking at it a little longer I figured out that it's an automatic headlight sensor!!

The clear lens faces towards the front windscreen and detects the level of light outside. As soon as the sun sets and the light level is low enough (or you go under a bridge etc) the park lights and/or headlights will come on, depending how dark it is. The headlight stalk is always set to off as the sensor does all of the work (however you can switch the unit off or select that you only want the park lights to illuminate so you have manual control over when the actual headlights come on).

It was 100% plug-and-play by using a special loom that it had specifically for this option. All I had to do was unplug my existing combination switch plugs and connect them to the new connectors, which basically just acts as an extension with wires branching off it for the conlight to function.

The beauty of this option is that you can never accidentally leave your headlights on as the unit only works when the key is turned to the 'ON' position. It's pretty gimmicky but would have been very revolutionary in it's time. A lot of the newer cars these days don't even have such a feature as it seems to only be limited to up-market and 'luxury' cars.

I personally think it's a great quirky piece of Japanese ingenuity and it's another thing to add to my growing list of optional extras :D

Here's a pic from the original sales brochure, followed by pics of the actual unit taken by myself:

Bro, really admired ur effort on this 7th Corolla! Mine already OEM fitted so called "conlight" in my car headlight funtion switch. Usuall or normal spec only 2 click to turn on headlight but mine got 3 click! Turn in on to Auto then the "conlight" function will be activated!!!:proud:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Bro, really admired ur effort on this 7th Corolla! Mine already OEM fitted so called "conlight" in my car headlight funtion switch. Usuall or normal spec only 2 click to turn on headlight but mine got 3 click! Turn in on to Auto then the "conlight" function will be activated!!!:proud:
Thanks bro! :biggrin:. Ohh yes, the 'AUTO' function on the headlight stalk is factory on the AE101 SE-G models. I've come across them a few times but could never get the sensor out because Toyota decided to secure it with screws coming from the rear of the dashboard, so the only way would be to break it out (or remove the entire dash board). I love how clean that set-up looks though and would prefer it to the external conlight, so the next time I find one I'm going to just break the sensor out from the dash. I'll secure it by other means when fitting it to my car. I'll have to grab the combination switch with the 'AUTO' function on the headlight stalk too. Very few people know about this function so your knowledge impresses me! :biggrin:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
I made a short video of the automatic headlight sensor (conlight) in action. Click the link below to check it out:
MVI_1911.mp4 video by tokeitup | Photobucket

Here's my latest find at the junkyard yesterday - A rare OEM A-pillar map light! This is yet another rare item on the options list and the first I've seen with my own eyes in real-life. It was fitted to an AE101 FX-GT so I quickly grabbed it as soon as I saw it :). It gets held to the A-pillar by a thin metal bracket which goes on the underside of the pillar and had screws that go through to the map light. The wiring runs down the pillar, under the dash and ends up just behind the ashtray. In typical Toyota fashion, it's 100% completely plug-and-play!! :D. It simply uses the main connector for the ashtray light and cigarette lighter socket. All you have to do is unplug your existing plug, connect the male plug to the female connector of the map light and do the same with the other plug. Literally a 10-second job to plug in.

The arm can move and be positioned towards your map book or phone etc and can either be set to have a wide spread of light by leaving the arm in it's shortest position length-wise or you can choose to have a more focused direction of light by gently pulling on the arm to extend it a bit, which moves the bulb closer to the end of the tube. The bulb is a standard incandescent bulb and looks to be replaceable. The end of the arm is held in place by a strong magnet to prevent it from moving around while you're driving. To use the light you simply just pull it away from the magnet and adjust it to the position you want to illuminate. There doesn't seem to be an on/off switch so I assume it comes on automatically as soon as the head is removed from the magnet and turned off as soon as the head is touching the magnet again.

Hoping to install it in the near future. Since you have to drill three holes (two for the bracket and one for the wiring) I'll probably take my time and mark out the holes perfectly so that it sits dead straight when mounted. I haven't used a map book in about 5-years since there's no need with GPS systems these days, but it's yet another rare option to add to my list which is bound to come in useful in future 8)

Here's some photos I took:

And here's my latest find at the junkyard today :D - A genuine TRD cat-back exhaust and Version S high response TRD muffler. The tip had already been taken, which works better for me since I have to use a tip that isn't too large so I don't melt my rear lip. Both pieces only cost me a mere $24 NZD (RM 60).

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
I installed the A-pillar map light today!! :biggrin:. The install was nice and straight-forward and ended up being 100% plug-and-play like I thought it was going to be. I went to the junkyard before doing the install and bought the grey A-pillar trim which the map light was originally fitted to so I could use it to mark out the holes on mine to ensure they were in the dead right position before drilling into my pillar trim. The install took about 30-minutes all up. I took my time to make sure everything was straight and dropped the lower dash panel down to route the wiring to the cigarette lighter connector. As suspected, the light turns on as soon as you pull it away from the magnet and turns off as soon as it's clipped back onto the magnet. Works when the key is turned to the 'ACC' or 'ON' position. Looking forward to seeing how bright it is at night :)

It was difficult to take pics since there isn't much light on that part of the interior even at the best of times, but with a bit of patience I managed to take these:

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
I installed the A-pillar map light today!! :biggrin:. The install was nice and straight-forward and ended up being 100% plug-and-play like I thought it was going to be. I went to the junkyard before doing the install and bought the grey A-pillar trim which the map light was originally fitted to so I could use it to mark out the holes on mine to ensure they were in the dead right position before drilling into my pillar trim. The install took about 30-minutes all up. I took my time to make sure everything was straight and dropped the lower dash panel down to route the wiring to the cigarette lighter connector. As suspected, the light turns on as soon as you pull it away from the magnet and turns off as soon as it's clipped back onto the magnet. Works when the key is turned to the 'ACC' or 'ON' position. Looking forward to seeing how bright it is at night :)

It was difficult to take pics since there isn't much light on that part of the interior even at the best of times, but with a bit of patience I managed to take these:

Bro, ur effort.... speechless!!!:congrats:

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I made a short video of the automatic headlight sensor (conlight) in action. Click the link below to check it out:
MVI_1911.mp4 video by tokeitup | Photobucket

Here's my latest find at the junkyard yesterday - A rare OEM A-pillar map light! This is yet another rare item on the options list and the first I've seen with my own eyes in real-life. It was fitted to an AE101 FX-GT so I quickly grabbed it as soon as I saw it :). It gets held to the A-pillar by a thin metal bracket which goes on the underside of the pillar and had screws that go through to the map light. The wiring runs down the pillar, under the dash and ends up just behind the ashtray. In typical Toyota fashion, it's 100% completely plug-and-play!! :D. It simply uses the main connector for the ashtray light and cigarette lighter socket. All you have to do is unplug your existing plug, connect the male plug to the female connector of the map light and do the same with the other plug. Literally a 10-second job to plug in.

The arm can move and be positioned towards your map book or phone etc and can either be set to have a wide spread of light by leaving the arm in it's shortest position length-wise or you can choose to have a more focused direction of light by gently pulling on the arm to extend it a bit, which moves the bulb closer to the end of the tube. The bulb is a standard incandescent bulb and looks to be replaceable. The end of the arm is held in place by a strong magnet to prevent it from moving around while you're driving. To use the light you simply just pull it away from the magnet and adjust it to the position you want to illuminate. There doesn't seem to be an on/off switch so I assume it comes on automatically as soon as the head is removed from the magnet and turned off as soon as the head is touching the magnet again.

Hoping to install it in the near future. Since you have to drill three holes (two for the bracket and one for the wiring) I'll probably take my time and mark out the holes perfectly so that it sits dead straight when mounted. I haven't used a map book in about 5-years since there's no need with GPS systems these days, but it's yet another rare option to add to my list which is bound to come in useful in future 8)

Here's some photos I took:

And here's my latest find at the junkyard today :D - A genuine TRD cat-back exhaust and Version S high response TRD muffler. The tip had already been taken, which works better for me since I have to use a tip that isn't too large so I don't melt my rear lip. Both pieces only cost me a mere $24 NZD (RM 60).

Bro, ur effort.... speechless!!!:congrats:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
Thanks bro!! :biggrin:

Here's my latest mod - AE111 Toyota Carib BZ Touring wagon sideskirts!!! :biggrin:. I've wanted these particular sideskirts for a long time, but didn't want to pay the price that the mainstream wreckers charge so have been waiting for a set to come into the junkyard. Seems that my patience paid off because when I was out of town the other week an AE111 1998 Toyota Carib came into the junkyard and it was Super White (040) just like my Corolla!!!! :shock:. It had been in quite a serious frontal accident but the sideskirts were still in mint condition. I fitted them today and took some photos a few hours ago.

They're a perfect fit for the Corolla as the sill length is identical and they're based on the same platform as the AE101 Corolla BZ Touring wagon. They look a lot more suitable than my previous sideskirts and tie in better with the front and rear lip, rather than looking out of place by being a different height. My next plan is to replace the front lip with another one that I've been looking for but haven't been able to find yet. After that I'll be completely happy with the exterior of the car :)

Here's the photos I took today after fitting the new sideskirts:

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Share my car butt with u~

Attachments

Last edited:

Kiwi-Corolla

Known Member
Jul 27, 2010
New Zealand
^ Haha, nice butt! :P

I am VERY excited to share the news with everyone that my Corolla is now complete with a 4A-GE 20v Blacktop engine :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:. It has been four long years and my dream of having a Blacktop has finally come true. I kept it a huge secret from almost everyone as I wanted there to be a large element of surprise as I know there are a lot of people out there who were eagerly awaiting this swap to happen.

The engine has done 120,000km, has had the timing belt and water pump done etc and is mated to a C56 5-speed gearbox. I saw this as the perfect time to do the swap as I'm almost done with the exterior modifications and am very happy with the way the interior is looking, so I wanted to stay true to my word of installing the Blacktop as a finishing touch on the car.

All in all I'm over the moon with the swap and literally can't wipe the smile off my face. The last thing holding my Corolla back was the engine, so now that it's had the transplant I can enjoy the car even more over the many more years of future ownership.

Here's some pics. I still have to reinstall my TRD strut brace and the short ram intake is only temporary until I can remake my previous cold air intake system as the old piping was a little bit too short to fit the Blacktop:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wondering what shampoo or medium you guys use to clean the rims.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience