> Opinion needed to choose used 4X4, Any advise?

shinchan

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

My dad thinking to get a used 4x4 at the region of RM20-30K.

Upon searching these few models came into picture:

1. Ford Ranger
2. Toyota Hilux
3. Mitsubishi Storm
4. Mazda fighter

Which one is more recommended in terms of occasional driving for offroad adventure, easy spare parts availability, durability.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
In term of offroad durability and spare part easy to source, the answer is toyota hilux. But I don't think the Hilux price is able to meet your budget although it's second hand. You can try to do some survey.

shinchan

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. I saw some Hilux selling around that region for year 2003-2004 car. How about Ford Ranger? Saw quite a lot of good review to them as well

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. I saw some Hilux selling around that region for year 2003-2004 car. How about Ford Ranger? Saw quite a lot of good review to them as well
Hi, the new Ranger is good, in term of torque and fun to drive. The offroad durability i'm not sure as my uncle just changed new ranger. Please don't buy old Ranger as the sparepart is expensive + the engine and gearbox easily breakdown if you're frequently towing or offroad.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
U only list pickup truck.

may i suggest the old and faithful mitsubishi pajero lo.
for that kind of money u can get a good unit.
part?
Some part are the same as wira or old saga like the distributor,alternator,oil filter,power steering pump,starter.
its a very capable offroader and simple to maintain.
price for engine part are also very cheap amd easy to find.
i am referring to the petrol engine model.

We have one at our house but its jungle bashing time is over.
its now used to either Tesco bashing or Aeon bashing...

of course with old tech on big cc engine,fc is abit high which is expected.
good thing is your stuff will be dry at the rear unlike a pickup which needs a cover or canopy.

Odo has clocked 760k km and god knows its history.we only sent it for rebuild few month after we got it at roughly 700k km.
with any proper 4x4, do check the running condition of its transfer case as it will cost u a bomb to fix let alone finding a used unit in good order.

Reliability?
It carry my family to kelantan 1 time,padang besar 2 times,cameron 2-3 times.

whats its like offroad?
Its a different animal.its very capable yet subtle.just remember to get a decent tire if your trail involve wet incline.

for very light offroad,kembara will do just fine.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
i would prefer hilux or pajero for maintenance & part availability.. for durability, Jimny or Toyota LC is my choice.

khuen72

May 24, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I would say a toyota hilux or and toyota land cruiser is a great choice, though land cruiser would be much more capable off roade,

vehicle is durable and part wise there are plenty of them in the chop shop so it would not be a problem.

Or like Gunnerz suggestion get a Pajero LO parts are cheap and easily available n reliable as well.

shinchan

Known Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for all bro's input !

Looks like the choice boils down to Toyota Hilux now ! :) Let the hunting begins..

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
hilux vigo, no doubt with your budget it is going to suit you from usage to maintenance

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

If you look at the back page of The Sun on 16 August, can you count how many people are involved in the creation of Persona? 306! I was thinking like only 1 person...... and his/her job is to design it longer.

Joke! need so many people to make a car longer! Take a hike Proton!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience