Operational Manual #1 - Shift Quicker

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Tom, again I am here to express my thanks and gratitude for your tips and highlights in how to execute H&T technique and rev matching back in 2016. It has been almost 2 years already since that topic, time flies.

Now, I have no problem rev matching accurately and executing H&T during normal daily driving. Rev matching is now like my natural response whenever I downshift. Made me realize how horrible the car jolts when I downshift directly without rev matching during the days before I learn about it from you.

Thanks again Tom and also 6UE5t for the help back then. It was a good lesson that I will remember for life as long as I am driving a manual transmission.
Very glad to know Renesis, I feel proud to have helped someone with their driving and now even you too are spreading the technique. Yes, rev matching is the best way to start learning downshifts or H&T before doing H&T

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Interesting. What do people like me who can't twist my foot to do a heel-toe? Not on my current car anyway, I need the chair to be lower to HT
Will you be able to post a short video of yours? Can try other methods, if not can explore mechanically by adjusting the pedals

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Btw Tom, would be good also if you post your video driving cars with floating pedals so people can see if there's any differences for H&T when driving floor mounted and floating pedals.
As in the top and bottom hinged throttle? Well it's almost the same except bottom hinged / floor mounted throttle makes it easier with more surface area. I also feel it uses less effort to get the revs to climb quicker

Top hinged throttle requires a bit more finesse to be honest.

Here's a video of the new Type R with the top hinged throttle

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
@Tom what happened at 3:03? Miss-shifted?

So basically the quick upshift is clutch in, accel off, gear in, clutch off and accel on really quickly?
I suspect the shift linkage isn't at it's best at the time but perhaps I was a bit too quick in general. That car was in the process of being converted into a track car

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
As in the top and bottom hinged throttle? Well it's almost the same except bottom hinged / floor mounted throttle makes it easier with more surface area. I also feel it uses less effort to get the revs to climb quicker

Top hinged throttle requires a bit more finesse to be honest.

Here's a video of the new Type R with the top hinged throttle

Yup top hinged/floating throttle is more difficult, especially if the pedal is small and further apart. I can see the slight difference in your foot work as you roll your foot more here hence using more of the side foot but less movement of the heel.

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
I can't twist my leg like that unless I'm seated lower and legs are almost straight. Made a mistake of working out thigh muscles and all the last time so I'm not exactly flexible. What you're saying is slide from back pedal to throttle right? I can do that with certain shoes. Unfortunately I'm not either big nor small nor flexible. Bloody inbetween.
I guess it is more of the matter of having understanding how the car react, and what you can do with your body, i dont think anyone born with a natural reflex to do heel-toe.

I think i can say that i can heel toe in almost any car/shoe/slippers once i get comfortable with the position, of course have to do some homework, such as
-figuring how the shifter react, the position
-pedal position, leg position, depressed brake height is it comfortable to heel toe - to get along with awkward position (especially in a classic mini-story below)
-hand and leg coordination
-how fast the rev builds
-gear ratio

the worst one will be classic mini with stock seat, odd angle steering, non-centering type - 4 speed manual shifter, odd pedal position and angle, steering shaft is between brake and clutch and it is very close to the brake pedal doesnt help as well. Besides that, the fact that the brake and gas pedal being really small and close together doesnt help either(sometimes i cant brake during earlier period of practice because i cant let go of the gas fully), and not to forget the "big" cabin space. took me few attempts to be able to heel toe it. Also, your knee and the steering is already so close together, it just make things worst.

i think the best way to start is to learn how to control the braking force with free hanging leg, do not pivot/support with your ankle on the ground. I mean the ankle do not touch the ground when you're using your brake - i am not good with english as you can see all the shit grammar

After that you can learn how to rotate/twist your leg, be it heel-toe or toe-heel, you choose your own flavour. happy practicing guys :marchmellow:

Reactions: Izso and 6UE5t

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think i can say that i can heel toe in almost any car/shoe/slippers once i get comfortable with the position, of course have to do some homework, such as
-figuring how the shifter react, the position
-pedal position, leg position, depressed brake height is it comfortable to heel toe - to get along with awkward position (especially in a classic mini-story below)
-hand and leg coordination
-how fast the rev builds
-gear ratio
yes, to a certain extent, people should study and make friends with the tools they are presented with and yes, the classic MINI is something else, definitely not a walk in the park

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys,

anyone know the cheapest place to get ngk plugs?

errr i think the code is BCP7ES or BCP7ES right (for 4g63)?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience