Old School Cars Discussion

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, I know him well. A friend for 15 years already and he came to me asking about the car.

I think, maybe he should just go for the RM99k HR-V base spec and save some money there because he is asking for either HR-V or CX-3. But he is leaning more towards CX-3. Also, I think recently, price of CX-3 has increased for like extra RM5k.

I hope he can handle the car's finance when he got the car. Who knows, maybe a year later, his salary is increased to 4k plus instead of 3k plus.
RM120k 5 years loan repayment already RM2k plus. RM4k salary also not enough, unless 7 to 9 years and makan roti.....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Pocket surely need to be tebal....whatever car we are driving. There are many hidden cost involved...xxx km maintenance, rosak, accident, vandalism, detailing, modding, petrol, roadtax insurance renewal...etc...It never ends one. Some ppl send car to spa kilat-kilat and can spend until RM500 and still say worth it. Me? I ride motorbike abt RM10 petrol for 1 week......to save a few bucks to make ends meet...Oso to beat the lousy kl jam.

Worst still, after investing so much marney, then car kana stolen......surely you wont be compensated based on the actual value invested. All add up.....surely cry like big baby....Some cry and wanna die pulak. hahahaha
That is why it is not easy to own and take care of a car. Sometimes, I do feel a bit grateful that I have taken an interest in cars. I learned a lot of things about cars. I imagined, if I am not interested in cars, I don't even know how will I go through so many of these problems that happened to my car before.

Car stolen case is one of the worse thing that can happen to a car lover. Yet, it always tends to happen on those who cares about their cars. For people who couldn't care less about their cars, I guess even thieves don't want to steal such a car. :rofl:

kinda like a sohai paying so much $$$ but getting a lemon.....
And this is where I start to realize where some cars like Vios (before facelift) shines. Yeah, I heard a lot of complaints regarding the old 1NZ-FE and 4 speed auto since the first gen Vios. Not using new tech and all. But they failed to realize this. The old tech is proven to be very reliable and last for long. Well, isn't that a good thing for your pocket because maintenance costs will be kept low.

Funny when people talk like my car is just a transport for point A to B. Then when buy new car, become like tech geek. This feature, that feature, bla bla. Sure, does sound nice with all those high spec stuff on paper. But what if after a few years of ownership and these new high tech stuff is proven to be not as reliable as the old stuff. I wonder who will get the last laugh then. The guy driving the old tech Vios but proven to be reliable or the guy who goes for high tech stuff but ends up parts failing here and there.

Again, if you are not prepared to take risk, might as well just stick with something that is proven to work well. Well, Volkswagen owners took the risk. Buying a normal car with "race" car gearbox. Double clutch gearbox that shifts in miliseconds. Some comes with supercharger and turbocharger too. Sounds cool but now problems arises. Probably don't dare to boast or laugh much anymore for those affected owners.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
RM120k 5 years loan repayment already RM2k plus. RM4k salary also not enough, unless 7 to 9 years and makan roti.....lol
I wrote earlier that he wants a 9 year loan what. 5 year loan is suicide.

Another friend of mine did it. Proton Saga FLX. 5 year loan because he wants a lower interest rate. RM700 a month and he is earning like RM2k plus while staying at KL. Sounds like a lot of pain to the pocket.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Your fren with the Saga FLX is pushing his financial limits.....Hopefully, over the 5 years loan, nothing major happened......or not sure pecah wallet.

Reminds me of news abt a couple that wanted to get married. Everything of the wedding ceremony gotta be nice, unique and grand. The GF wanted the event to be memorable and impressive to her colleagues wor. The groom wants to give the impression of the male provider, so obliged with the GF. Also planned for oversea honey moon after wedding. The couple made a huge bank loan just to pay for the wedding expenses. When blinded by love, who cares about money, right? With love, we can survive on roti and water, right?

Unfortunately, after married the couple cannot tahan due to never ending bank otang while further burdened with barang mahal expenses. Reality sets in and not everything is flower-fancy and romantic anymore. Wifey canot manja-manja while hubby dont give face anymore. Later, in-law stepped in and the blame game starts. The couple divorced eventually.

Money for kahwin. Money is also reason to divorce.

So dont play-play if money is just cukup cukup oni....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Your fren with the Saga FLX is pushing his financial limits.....Hopefully, over the 5 years loan, nothing major happened......or not sure pecah wallet.

Reminds me of news abt a couple that wanted to get married. Everything of the wedding ceremony gotta be nice, unique and grand. The GF wanted the event to be memorable and impressive to her colleagues wor. The groom wants to give the impression of the male provider, so obliged with the GF. Also planned for oversea honey moon after wedding. The couple made a huge bank loan just to pay for the wedding expenses. When blinded by love, who cares about money, right? With love, we can survive on roti and water, right?

Unfortunately, after married the couple cannot tahan due to never ending bank otang while further burdened with barang mahal expenses. Reality sets in and not everything is flower-fancy and romantic anymore. Wifey canot manja-manja while hubby dont give face anymore. Later, in-law stepped in and the blame game starts. The couple divorced eventually.

Money for kahwin. Money is also reason to divorce.

So dont play-play if money is just cukup cukup oni....
Yeah, it does look like he is pushing his limits. He is also a guy who doesn't have a clue about maintenance cost. I remember I said it before over here. I told him his tyres almost reach its lifespan soon. Need to change and I say is around RM140-160. He ask me back, for all 4? I told him that is the price for one tyre and if it is so cheap, I change tyre every half a year already. :banghead:

Sounds sad for the couple story. Not easy for two people to get together but at the end, need to end up divorcing because of money issue. Maybe the wedding ceremony should be kept at a more humble level instead of going so grand. Anyway, the most important point of marriage is two people finally getting together legally as spouse and family. Not really an event to showcase your wealth or what.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I wrote earlier that he wants a 9 year loan what. 5 year loan is suicide.

Another friend of mine did it. Proton Saga FLX. 5 year loan because he wants a lower interest rate. RM700 a month and he is earning like RM2k plus while staying at KL. Sounds like a lot of pain to the pocket.
5 years loan still okay, but 9 years loan, the car might have more issues after 6 to 7 years on and maintenance and repairs cost may be much higher from there on

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
5 years loan still okay, but 9 years loan, the car might have more issues after 6 to 7 years on and maintenance and repairs cost may be much higher from there on
I agree, especially on high tech cars like CX-3 with a lot of sensors and electronics. CBU car as well, parts are not going to be cheap for sure...

But not all cars will have problems after 6 to 7 years. Like the Myvi in my house, coming to 11 years already. So far everything is okay except one time where my aunt crashed the car at KL. My Avanza at home is coming to 8 years old soon and is still fine everywhere except one of the rear brake lamp is always not working. But then again, Myvi and Avanza are built using Toyota's technology. Very basic cars too. :rofl:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Some ppl suffered hardship or got into financial prob becoz of their poor knowledge of their cars, some owners were ignorant pricks. Don't believe or heed others advice. Some just dunggu kena tipu and bought a lemon from the start.

This doesnt stop there. Some car manufacturers "tend" to simplify many things, or put many term and (hidden) condition in fine prints when selling their cars.....and give the car owners the impression that new car ownership is just oh-so-simple. Just pay and drive kinda thing. Bank loan now can drag to 9 years. In the future, it might be 12 years. Means what? Syukur?? or Longer hutang??.....and prepare for more problem.

Some owners are damn happy becoz their new car gets extended warranty, free service, this and that from SC. They thought they had a good deal. However, of numerous service at SC, the owners found out they are bounded by many restriction, poor service, expensive parts, delay, etc.....Die-die have to go back to SC.

Who is smart and who is dumb now?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I agree, especially on high tech cars like CX-3 with a lot of sensors and electronics. CBU car as well, parts are not going to be cheap for sure...

But not all cars will have problems after 6 to 7 years. Like the Myvi in my house, coming to 11 years already. So far everything is okay except one time where my aunt crashed the car at KL. My Avanza at home is coming to 8 years old soon and is still fine everywhere except one of the rear brake lamp is always not working. But then again, Myvi and Avanza are built using Toyota's technology. Very basic cars too. :rofl:
That depends on luck also and usage. Probably yours under normal or low mileage, right?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
He worked overseas is it? If he worked overseas, then no problem buying expensive cars. :biggrin:

If study overseas and come back, better don't burn more money. Already spent a lot outside Malaysia.
no he studied there ==" how he bayar for his cars... well........................ and lepas balik pun... i duno how he can even afford a beemer~

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Some ppl suffered hardship or got into financial prob becoz of their poor knowledge of their cars, some owners were ignorant pricks. Don't believe or heed others advice. Some just dunggu kena tipu and bought a lemon from the start.

This doesnt stop there. Some car manufacturers "tend" to simplify many things, or put many term and (hidden) condition in fine prints when selling their cars.....and give the car owners the impression that new car ownership is just oh-so-simple. Just pay and drive kinda thing. Bank loan now can drag to 9 years. In the future, it might be 12 years. Means what? Syukur?? or Longer hutang??.....and prepare for more problem.

Some owners are damn happy becoz their new car gets extended warranty, free service, this and that from SC. They thought they had a good deal. However, of numerous service at SC, the owners found out they are bounded by many restriction, poor service, expensive parts, delay, etc.....Die-die have to go back to SC.

Who is smart and who is dumb now?
Hahahahaha, true about the SC issues. I always don't trust much on local SC. They charge extra for this and that. Yet, they don't let you get close to your car while they are working on it. Then how am I suppose to learn what did the mechanic do and talk to the mechanic. Normally, I'm always standing beside my mechanic when he is fixing my car. He told me that I am the only one who did this. Most owners will go back and come back for the car later.

That depends on luck also and usage. Probably yours under normal or low mileage, right?
Normal I guess. Not much of long distance travelling. Most also Ipoh to KL only. My Wira's mileage is higher. Mostly gained during the years that my uncle borrowed the Wira for use. He use it for 4 years and he did a lot of travelling. I think when he borrowed it, it was around 130k km and when I got it back, mileage is at 190k km. Around 60k km in 4 years.

no he studied there ==" how he bayar for his cars... well........................ and lepas balik pun... i duno how he can even afford a beemer~
Buy 2nd hand E46 BMW can what. RM30k plus. :biggrin: Got manual gearbox also for some...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Buy 2nd hand E46 BMW can what. RM30k plus. :biggrin: Got manual gearbox also for some...
hoho e46.. manuals not that cheap... but the 1.9 autos can go for much lower than that. (20k or so)
be warned... these things not cheap to jaga.
*one i really liked are the 3l coupes... iirc now under 40k but the damned tax... die...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hoho e46.. manuals not that cheap... but the 1.9 autos can go for much lower than that. (20k or so)
be warned... these things not cheap to jaga.
*one i really liked are the 3l coupes... iirc now under 40k but the damned tax... die...
Other than the nice badge and good styling, there is nothing much I like about E46 manual. :biggrin: There are better manual cars alternatives at that price range.

Parts cost must be expensive... Now E60 5 series is also suffering. Seeing some selling under RM50k. Cheaper than Myvi 1.5. :rofl: Nice car, but only if you have the money to maintain it.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Beemers are towkay cars. Anything rosak, can send to workshop and company pays for the repair, whatever the damage was. Boss will drive the car and show to ppl his status.

For wage earner, to own a BMW can be risky. Wrong day, the beemer go into workshop....the repair bill would be shocking until no mood to eat rice liow (Banyak Masuk Workshop & Banyak Makan Wang fame). hahahah....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Normal I guess. Not much of long distance travelling. Most also Ipoh to KL only. My Wira's mileage is higher. Mostly gained during the years that my uncle borrowed the Wira for use. He use it for 4 years and he did a lot of travelling. I think when he borrowed it, it was around 130k km and when I got it back, mileage is at 190k km. Around 60k km in 4 years.
I heard normal mileage is around 20k km per year so 60k km in 4 years is still below average

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, as topic states my coilovers need a rebuild. So far only place that rebuilds hypermax 2 that I've been able to find is Garage R in Singapore.

Suggestions?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience