Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Suspension may be hidden away from new car buyers. However, when compared the interior of new cars and say, 1990s car.......one can notice the difference.

New cars interiors are using toy-plastic material. Easily scratched...Just knock and hear the sound....
Park under sun for years, you'll see the plastic parts discoloured and brittled. Vent holes cabut easily...

while 1990s car interior, most with spongy rubbery material..and they are still in good form today if were given care....
Just a bit of scratch can see those white lines already on the cheap plastic. :banghead:

That is what I meant cut cost in manufacturing......lol
And some young people still thought new cars are really so good. Many young ones are too hooked by exterior design and the interior accessories. Interior equipment are actually cheap stuff compared to the cost of mechanical stuff that they removed.

Look at the latest Honda City now, they removed the rear disc brakes and claims that drum works equally as well too. What? :banghead:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
thats why lohhh.....too many stuff /accessories also no good.
One hand do more on handphone. :mad:
Last night my old sentra butt nearly kick by vios. Already traffic jammed. That vios getting closer n closer, i view rear mirror, he's not concentrate, luckily i got 1m+ to move front for him to cushion with emergency brake. :secruity:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Just a bit of scratch can see those white lines already on the cheap plastic. :banghead:

And some young people still thought new cars are really so good. Many young ones are too hooked by exterior design and the interior accessories. Interior equipment are actually cheap stuff compared to the cost of mechanical stuff that they removed.

Look at the latest Honda City now, they removed the rear disc brakes and claims that drum works equally as well too. What? :banghead:
People nowadays are only interested in cars as an appliance or image. Imagine, many newer cars do not have a range type temp gauge anymore, its just 2 lights now, ok or overheat. Yeah, very dumb of them to say drum brakes better than disc. Dont they know how hassle it is to remove the rear outer hub and bearings just to get to the brake shoes ? Also the further risk of not setting bearing tightness correctly.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
ya ya ya....why remove temperature gauge ? even my x-gear don have. only indicator.
some local made car, i don want mention name. Once kena overheat indicator, can say 50-50 gone case.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Plastic just molded in shape and fitted. Older cars actually have a pvc layer wrap on a board that is why got soft touch those days, even the dashboard and door trimming.

Drum brakes can be good also, they actually have more contact space, but they cannot cool as fast as an open disc, and dust keeps building up inside and after some time need cleaning and adjustment....:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
thats why lohhh.....too many stuff /accessories also no good.
One hand do more on handphone. :mad:
Last night my old sentra butt nearly kick by vios. Already traffic jammed. That vios getting closer n closer, i view rear mirror, he's not concentrate, luckily i got 1m+ to move front for him to cushion with emergency brake. :secruity:
Still driving your Sentra all the time?

People nowadays are only interested in cars as an appliance or image. Imagine, many newer cars do not have a range type temp gauge anymore, its just 2 lights now, ok or overheat. Yeah, very dumb of them to say drum brakes better than disc. Dont they know how hassle it is to remove the rear outer hub and bearings just to get to the brake shoes ? Also the further risk of not setting bearing tightness correctly.

Stupid decision not to put temperature gauge. Like my friend's Grand Livina. I laughed at him for this. He said maybe the manufacturers don't want the owners to know if the car got problem or not. :rofl:

Another pointless thing in new cars is, the plastic engine cover. No function at all. I asked my mechanic, if like that, how to see if got any leakages since the cover already covered it. He said, they don't want the owners to see any problems inside, that's why cover it. :biggrin:

Plastic just molded in shape and fitted. Older cars actually have a pvc layer wrap on a board that is why got soft touch those days, even the dashboard and door trimming.

Drum brakes can be good also, they actually have more contact space, but they cannot cool as fast as an open disc, and dust keeps building up inside and after some time need cleaning and adjustment....:smokin:
I don't think my drum brakes has been taken out for cleaning at all...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Stupid decision not to put temperature gauge. Like my friend's Grand Livina. I laughed at him for this. He said maybe the manufacturers don't want the owners to know if the car got problem or not. :rofl:

Another pointless thing in new cars is, the plastic engine cover. No function at all. I asked my mechanic, if like that, how to see if got any leakages since the cover already covered it. He said, they don't want the owners to see any problems inside, that's why cover it. :biggrin:

I don't think my drum brakes has been taken out for cleaning at all...
No temp gauge, by the time red shows may be too late dy......lol

Yup, the cover just make it looks nice...haha
Subaru have removed it, My forester without already, seems it contain heat. WRX model still have but they have opening to let heat out. Opening like the hood grill...:driver:

No problem with the brakes normally they don't open up. Adjust hand brakes, check for leaks and change brake shoes then need to open up. Wira rear brakes also need to check the pumps, most of the time leaks....lol

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Most people nowadays think old = not good. I think thats pretty stupid, since they are just normal consumers that only know how to drive. For instance was talking to my friends about the toyota soarer for sale at sakan auto for 78K. Explaining to them that its a JDM car in mint condition with RWD and multi link independent suspension means nothing to them. Oohh its a 28 year old car not worth that much...frustrating to talk to non car people. I bet even if they saw a Skyline Hakosuka they would just say its old junk...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Most people nowadays think old = not good. I think thats pretty stupid, since they are just normal consumers that only know how to drive. For instance was talking to my friends about the toyota soarer for sale at sakan auto for 78K. Explaining to them that its a JDM car in mint condition with RWD and multi link independent suspension means nothing to them. Oohh its a 28 year old car not worth that much...frustrating to talk to non car people. I bet even if they saw a Skyline Hakosuka they would just say its old junk...
Just like that day was observing my mechanic overhaul a newer model camry that overheated. He mentioned older cast iron engine if overheat won't go out of shape unlike newer aluminum alloy engine have to re bore and re sleeve totally

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
i think their perspective more to resale value.
And also lack interest on car. No accessories, gadget...lagi no no...:driver:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
diferent kind of mindset.... haha looking at the spec sheet, they are looking for a certain bunch of items while we are looking at a diferent bunch of items. Heuristically speaking, i guess they place a large 'cost' on stuff like safety, fc and stuff like that.... we place a larger cost on the other things (i suspect they dont even know what some of those things are) :proud:

Nowadays Cheap and easy to maintain......Accessories can add on later.......lol
if you mean old cars? hehe not everything can be added, air bags, abs, the plethora of funky sensors.... all these are difficult and expensive to retrofit.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if you mean old cars? hehe not everything can be added, air bags, abs, the plethora of funky sensors.... all these are difficult and expensive to retrofit.
Nope, I mean new Generations of youngsters, prefer new car of course. Some don't even know how to take care of the car yet. Anything send to workshop....:biggrin:

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Nope, I mean new Generations of youngsters, prefer new car of course. Some don't even know how to take care of the car yet. Anything send to workshop....:biggrin:
A young friend of mine, 25 years old loves new honda cars so much. He bought a new city last year.
He keeps telling me to just buy new cars. He don't know how to fix cars btw. Struggling with the car payments too.
To most people the car below is junk, but little do they know its worth more than a new honda accord.

Attachments

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The replacement car tyre sector ended the year on a high with its strongest showing in the fourth quarter, chalking up a total of USD78 million of sales in just the Klang Valley alone from October to December 2010.

“It’s not unusual for quarter four to register stronger demands as major festivities like Hari Raya, Christmas and school holidays all take place during the last few months of the year. In...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience