Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Bro Renesis,

No doubt the engine isnt ori spec, but old skool engine is hard to obtain spareparts if they are broken. Perhaps the celica supra owner went resto-mod direction. Since ori engine is hard to repair, expensive parts and not efficient compared to the new heart. The good thing is, the engine is still a Toyota engine.

I know from a toyota owner who installed a 3tgte engine (1800cc). The engine was swapped from the ori 2tg engine (1600cc). He thought it was a good upgrade and has this uniqueness among other cars. Plus it gives him bragging rights (The 3tgte was used in Toyota Rally cars then). However, he regretted installing 3tgte engine because of bulkiness, heavy (upset handling) and lack power despite with a factory turbo. Mind you that 3tgte has twin-plugs which was quite special at that time.

Nowadays, some small capacity engine with turbo can really kick ass.....even cars with higher cc engines...
I understand the reasoning behind a newer engine swap for easier maintenance, better power and probably better FC. I'm just saying that since sweelt said old school cars should be restored to original spec. By sticking to the original engine especially for performance old school cars, I'm sure it will fetch a higher value in the future. As for old school ordinary economy cars, then I guess it might be better to swap out to a more powerful engine as the original engine is really under powered.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
bro renesis and ken, both of you correct.
what i mean in my post, if going old skool way. Do it old skool way. restore as close as possible.
i see old datsun, lancer, corolla...etc were mod for its rwd availability. :driver:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
bro renesis and ken, both of you correct.
what i mean in my post, if going old skool way. Do it old skool way. restore as close as possible.
i see old datsun, lancer, corolla...etc were mod for its rwd availability. :driver:
Go old school way or classic way.....lol

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Hahahaha, the layer of paint is always a veil to hide the truth and past history of a car. But if we left the car in its original paint, assuming it is already over 30 years old, the paint probably looks terrible enough especially if the car is exposed to rain and sun light. I'm not including showroom or museum cars with original paint in this case. :biggrin: So, a new paint is probably inevitable in order to protect the body of the car.

I admire those who refurbish the interior bits to factory specifications because it does look nice. What I hate is the refurbished interior which looked like square boxes taken out from racing cars. I've seen a few old school cars doing that with the interior. Random gauges and switches everywhere along with the box styled race car interior. I think the interior is important to remind you of what car you are in and driving. On old school cars, it gives out that nostalgic feel. But as for that race car inspired interior, I don't know what can I say about that. :banghead:
hehe there are those (very few) who actually try very hard to preserve the 'original timely look of their cars... some add stuff but, they do so very subtly

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
There is no right or wrong playing old skool car. As long as it is done tastefully, then ok lah.
Please don't do it like the examples in ZTH's "Pimp my Ride".....with big-ass of GT wing, and shEEt-load of fiber and filler.

Car enthusiasts would probably gorge their eyes out upon seeing abomination. hahahah

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
For me, I see it as 3 ways of playing old school. Either :

1. Restore it as close as possible to factory spec. Preferably everything stock.
2. Modify it via old school method like retaining the original engine with carb.
3. Modernize it with mods. Use a newer more efficient and powerful engine, equip it with newer electronics, etc...

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Prelude is like Celica, more for look than performance.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Prelude is like Celica, more for look than performance.

In actual fact, celica have been a sporty car all the while. Performance isn't its strong point.
Of course, the term performance varies depending on each own definition.

I suppose a mousedeer with a siput in the engine bay, can perform better than a supercar, when racing + cilok-cilok during heavy traffic. In addition, a kapchai can perform better than mousedeer when cilok-cilok and zipping around in traffic-packed road in KL.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
In actual fact, celica have been a sporty car all the while. Performance isn't its strong point.
Of course, the term performance varies depending on each own definition.

I suppose a mousedeer with a siput in the engine bay, can perform better than a supercar, when racing + cilok-cilok during heavy traffic. In addition, a kapchai can perform better than mousedeer when cilok-cilok and zipping around in traffic-packed road in KL.

I think the performance of Celica GT-FOUR is quite good. 4WD turbo. :biggrin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
The swansong for the real GT4 (ST205 coupe. Caldina not counted) was 1999 based on production year.
There was only 3 "generation" of GT4. The GT4 generations are the ST165, ST185 and ST205.

By comparison, Evo performed better largely due to better tech, evolved and honed to almost perfection over the years. Evo I to X. That's 10 whole generation.

During the 1980s, 200hp car are almost god-crazy. Today, 200hp car is like peanut.
mind you, with the right parts and marney, kanchiu can have 200hp.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
The swansong for the real GT4 (ST205 coupe. Caldina not counted) was 1999 based on production year.
There was only 3 "generation" of GT4. The GT4 generations are the ST165, ST185 and ST205.

By comparison, Evo performed better largely due to better tech, evolved and honed to almost perfection over the years. Evo I to X. That's 10 whole generation.

During the 1980s, 200hp car are almost god-crazy. Today, 200hp car is like peanut.
mind you, with the right parts and marney, kanchiu can have 200hp.
The 4WD system in Evo and STI is also more complicated. Plus both Mitsubishi and Subaru are known for their good experience in 4WD cars compared to Toyota.

But last time, 200hp cars are usually lightweight and the power delivery is brutal and raw, which is why they are fun although under powered on paper compared to cars today. The 200hp cars today are heavier and power doesn't come in as brutal as before. Looking at reviews of the new Civic 1.5 turbo for example, it had like 170hp but many reviews said that the power comes in smoothly. If we compared that with a 4G93T engine, the 4G93T probably feels much faster and engaging than the Civic 1.5 turbo engine.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Bros, what is the average h/p for our campro engine(N/A). I just dyno last few weeks. Just want to compare with other. Is that any different. mind to share?

View attachment 110900
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience