oil cooler and auto gearbox cooler

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
hi peeps.

im wondering what is the difference between this 2. alot accessory shop also not clear bout it. cheapest in market now should be locally made Jasma brand, but wondering if anyone did use it before? or the 'Trust' cap ayam?

looking to install this 2 item to my car soon. need more review from users themselves. if u happen to be using any brand or knowledgeable bout it, please recommend too. since my car is not going to any trackday, just occasionally sprint and some hill climb.

read it somewhere, someone said that if the car wasnt driven aggressively all the time, the products is useless / the size of the cooler too big, pressure will drop etc etc etc. for me, doing manitenance and take good care of it, the car will serve you longer and better.

rgds.:wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hayden and Works both make pretty reliable ATF Coolers. Works has good oil coolers too. They aren't too large nor too small. Try not to get too large coolers otherwise you might tax the oil pump in the gearbox and the engine oil pump.

Personally though, I don't think a normal car needs an engine oil cooler. Unless your engine gets super hot all the time from constant redlining, you don't really need to keep the engine oil that cool all the time. Probably best if it stays at optimum temperature longer for better oil viscosity.

ATF coolers on the other hand are useful. My Wira 3-speeder has had ATF overheating a few times until I DIY a chopshop RX7 cooler into my gearbox. Cheap and cheerful and no more overheating. Btw, I overheated by spirited downhill gear-2 driving for over 15 minutes. It refused to shift to overdrive gear in 'D' mode. After parking by the side of the road for about 20 minutes it started acting normal again.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
one for cooling engine oil

another one for automatic transmission fluid/oil cooling....

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
yo Izso, appreciate your reply.sometimes did driving from ipoh to johor, so i thought engine oil cooler might be a good upgrade to avoid the oil cooking. so for auto, when it overheated what is the symptom?gear wouldnt engage?

pomen, does both type of cooler same? which means as long the name is oil cooler i can use it for either engine oil or gearbox oil cooler?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
yo Izso, appreciate your reply.sometimes did driving from ipoh to johor, so i thought engine oil cooler might be a good upgrade to avoid the oil cooking. so for auto, when it overheated what is the symptom?gear wouldnt engage?

pomen, does both type of cooler same? which means as long the name is oil cooler i can use it for either engine oil or gearbox oil cooler?
Auto gearbox when overheated the gears won't change. You need one of those if you're driving hard with the gear. On the highway "D" won't overheat the gearbox la. The cooler itself is the same. The hoses are different and the adaptors are different.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
the cooler is same....

but piping and adaptors might be different....since for engine oil there's special adaptor to be installed at oil-filter point

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
hayden seems kinda small from my POV. those bigger size kinda mahal pula hehe:rofl:

by the way, does the cooler have problem when come in contact with alot water, says mount it beneath bonnet scoop ala stock L2 intercooler?

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
do you have a oil temp gauge?
for me it's more important than having an engine oil cooler. you know the characteristic of your engine oil. and from that you might decide whether you need E oil cooler or not.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hayden seems kinda small from my POV. those bigger size kinda mahal pula hehe:rofl:

by the way, does the cooler have problem when come in contact with alot water, says mount it beneath bonnet scoop ala stock L2 intercooler?
Mine's mounted right in the front and thats the first thing that gets in contact with flood water. So no problems la. Stones and chips will hurt it though.

hamtaro00

Known Member
Sep 26, 2011
Ipoh
do you have a oil temp gauge?
for me it's more important than having an engine oil cooler. you know the characteristic of your engine oil. and from that you might decide whether you need E oil cooler or not.
i dont have it. currently rolling in matrix 1.6 auto, got overheat issue b4. d temp will fluctuate,even its within save range, so only lately putting more attention to this.d gearbox kinda sluggish and the kick during gearchange is sometmes kinda rough,prompting me to pay more attention to it too

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Mine's mounted right in the front and thats the first thing that gets in contact with flood water. So no problems la. Stones and chips will hurt it though.
thanks for sharing. im thinking to mount it on matrix. d stock bumper kinda restrictive, so thinking where to mount or to operate a nice hole hehe.any prob with d pressure if being position higher or lower?

61tom

Aug 17, 2012
miramar, florid
If you do a lot of spirited driving, get oil coolers and temp gauges, your engine and tranny will thank you for it, it will pay dividends on the long run.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thanks for sharing. im thinking to mount it on matrix. d stock bumper kinda restrictive, so thinking where to mount or to operate a nice hole hehe.any prob with d pressure if being position higher or lower?
No problem. Auto tranny has oil pumps so it'll work. Just make sure the cooler isn't too large.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Everyone,

I have a very big question. I am planning to do a D.I.Y on an engine conversion (just as a hobby), so any help from experienced mechanics or anyone who has done this conversion before would be at great help! I am very serious here.

Okay. Lets just say, i have got:

1) Evo2/3 full harness wiring,
2) Evo2/3 complete engine with mounts,
3) Evo2/3 Air flow meter (MAF) and ECU,
4) But using my 4G93 Gearbox.

Is this all i need? I dont have a complete half cut. I am just worried...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience