Noticable difference using bodykits

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
There are loads of car body-kits, wings, fins, flaps, canards, etc out there, mass produced for consumers like us. Other than giving the car a different look and being unique from a standard car.........Could we experience significantly the difference when driving around with such bodykits?

of course, we are talking about driving within the legal speed limit in Malaysia..

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
All those are produced without proper wind tunnel testing.
it will be a lucky shot if it does improve some aspect like high speed stability.

remember when big gt wing is the thing?
Super sloping rear wing even on stock car like the tank saga.
owners did claim better high speed stability but a dear expense of very high fc.
i believe even without wind tunnel testing,rear wing will have impact at legal speed.more can be felt at high speed.just have to make sure the front end oso receive proper downforce.

on the bumper wing installed on the corner of the bumber,have to go ballistic to have desired effect just like F1.

A flat underbody that is recently reapply on the new sonata is another great example.this is a tried and tested method by mercedes when they rolled out the W124.yes,the 124 had a purposedly design flat underbody to improve fc and aero.
notice how the car is super stable at 160kmh and above.the sheer weight oso help stability but for a boxy design.it sure does handle high speed well

2-3 years back,while flipping through a catalog at a spare part shop i discover a company actually manufacture and sell the underbody cover to cover the area below the engine compartment to claim better stability and fc.at that time got most for toyota and honda.for proton,only waja.price was abt 1200.too steep for me.if not mistaken its made from hdpe.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
There are loads of car body-kits, wings, fins, flaps, canards, etc out there, mass produced for consumers like us. Other than giving the car a different look and being unique from a standard car.........Could we experience significantly the difference when driving around with such bodykits?

of course, we are talking about driving within the legal speed limit in Malaysia..
I've never installed big GT wings, canards, fins etc2, but just skirting or small wings or duck tail which are designed for my cars. As for the effect within legal speeds for me is absolutely none! Aero parts would only make a difference if going at high speeds. Theoretically it may even make top speed lower due to aero drag, but I'm not sure since cannot really compare exactly in the same condition on my cars. Having said that, I'm now considering to buy a flat under tray which continues to a diffuser for my car, which theoretically should make my car more slippery by reducing drag at the bottom, especially the rear section.

Anyway for normal street cars, no point of having those huge wings etc2, they'd just make the cars look ugly and will make them slower and more fuel thirsty.

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
All those are produced without proper wind tunnel testing.
it will be a lucky shot if it does improve some aspect like high speed stability.

remember when big gt wing is the thing?
Super sloping rear wing even on stock car like the tank saga.
owners did claim better high speed stability but a dear expense of very high fc.
i believe even without wind tunnel testing,rear wing will have impact at legal speed.more can be felt at high speed.just have to make sure the front end oso receive proper downforce.

on the bumper wing installed on the corner of the bumber,have to go ballistic to have desired effect just like F1.

A flat underbody that is recently reapply on the new sonata is another great example.this is a tried and tested method by mercedes when they rolled out the W124.yes,the 124 had a purposedly design flat underbody to improve fc and aero.
notice how the car is super stable at 160kmh and above.the sheer weight oso help stability but for a boxy design.it sure does handle high speed well

2-3 years back,while flipping through a catalog at a spare part shop i discover a company actually manufacture and sell the underbody cover to cover the area below the engine compartment to claim better stability and fc.at that time got most for toyota and honda.for proton,only waja.price was abt 1200.too steep for me.if not mistaken its made from hdpe.
So there is someone who makes underbody cover for Proton. Though I wish there was one for Wira. But 1200? That is quite steep. :bawling:

I've never installed big GT wings, canards, fins etc2, but just skirting or small wings or duck tail which are designed for my cars. As for the effect within legal speeds for me is absolutely none! Aero parts would only make a difference if going at high speeds. Theoretically it may even make top speed lower due to aero drag, but I'm not sure since cannot really compare exactly in the same condition on my cars. Having said that, I'm now considering to buy a flat under tray which continues to a diffuser for my car, which theoretically should make my car more slippery by reducing drag at the bottom, especially the rear section.

Anyway for normal street cars, no point of having those huge wings etc2, they'd just make the cars look ugly and will make them slower and more fuel thirsty.
I actually thought of a small GT wing for laughs. A bit scared that it makes my rear more heavy though, especially when I have no add-ons on my front. :smokin:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I have seen rear diffusers that I suspect they wont work.........becoz they are not extended from under the car, and often too steep when exiting to the rear...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
i think rear diffuser needs a flat underbody to work well and must be long enough to work with the air under the body.

i know rear spoiler works even without wind tunnel.
its only matter of working for the best or worst result.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I remember driving a friends stock Wira Aeroback that had the stock spoiler. My Wira SE didn't have that spoiler. Driving within speed limits on the highway made a difference for me. That stock spoiler made the car more stable for some reason and it didn't feel as twitchy or edgy going at 110km/h ~ 120km/h max. Stock rims stock everything. My Wira SE wasn't stock also didn't feel that confidence inspiring.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I remember driving a friends stock Wira Aeroback that had the stock spoiler. My Wira SE didn't have that spoiler. Driving within speed limits on the highway made a difference for me. That stock spoiler made the car more stable for some reason and it didn't feel as twitchy or edgy going at 110km/h ~ 120km/h max. Stock rims stock everything. My Wira SE wasn't stock also didn't feel that confidence inspiring.
Your suspension too hard......hhahahhahaha:rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think spoilers no matter what if installed it will have effect on the car...like Fishtail is good enough to reduce drag/vortex when the wind pass by to the rear...Spoil the win...GT Wing, not really necessary for me...not some high power monster car...Just wanna reduce the drag that is why the fishtail besides looking better...:biggrin:

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I think spoilers no matter what if installed it will have effect on the car...like Fishtail is good enough to reduce drag/vortex when the wind pass by to the rear...Spoil the win...GT Wing, not really necessary for me...not some high power monster car...Just wanna reduce the drag that is why the fishtail besides looking better...:biggrin:
I thought spoilers by default increase drag?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
After some google found it starts to work after 70mph (115kph), so for speed like 140kph will be good on highway runs, but then you are already speeding......hahhahhahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Yes, that is why got GT wings......:driver::rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
For GT Wings or big Spoilers then yes, creates drag but more downforce.
Example, especially hatchbacks where they dont have the longer rear boot..

It has more drag than cars with longer rear boot...what ever winds that travels from the front up till the rear...at the end of the car it will form somewhat like a Vortex...in short, is drag...

But fishtail or a small spoiler will makes the difference in reducing the drag....

After some google found it starts to work after 70mph (115kph), so for speed like 140kph will be good on highway runs, but then you are already speeding......hahhahhahaha:rofl:

Yes, that is why got GT wings......:driver::rofl:
Haha! Ya have to speed only got diff...

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
For GT Wings or big Spoilers then yes, creates drag but more downforce.
Example, especially hatchbacks where they dont have the longer rear boot..

It has more drag than cars with longer rear boot...what ever winds that travels from the front up till the rear...at the end of the car it will form somewhat like a Vortex...in short, is drag...

But fishtail or a small spoiler will makes the difference in reducing the drag....

Haha! Ya have to speed only got diff...
Like that touge also can feel difference lah. :rofl:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Like that touge also can feel difference lah. :rofl:
Touge fishtail no difference la :rofl:
GT Wing might have kot :rofl: More downforce liao...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello guys. Have question on evo I.

It was OK after the convertion. But only got this problem lately.

The boost doesnt come on time. Sometimes 3.5K rpm full boost sometimes may be 4K-5K.
The car feels laggish compare to last time.

Sometimes after boosting, the check engine light will be on.
Then when idle, RPM will be less than 1K. The car will be shaking.
Throttle becomes heavier. Can acccelerate but rpm takes very long to build up.

After body has any idea whats happening?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience