NISSAN GTR R35 tyre problem :'(

gtrmaniac

Dec 10, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guysss, im Sean.

I have been owning the mighty Nissan GTR for almost 1 year already, i bought this car from my elder brother because he had to migrate overseas to California, at first i didnt even know what a GTR is, because i am not really interested in cars, but after a lot of research, now i know the power and history of the GTR.

Im quite new to this forum, because im always busy with work (offshore), and i come back once in every 3 months.

Right now im using stock OEM Nissan GTR rims, which is 20 inch rims and Dunlop (Dunlop SP Sport 600 DSST) tyres.

I was just wondering, can i downgrade my rims to maybe 16 or 17 inches? Because i am not really a fan of large rims, and i just found out that it cots RM10,000 to change tyres. Im planning to maybe buy some normal 16 or 17 inch rims, but choose to have a wider fitment to compensate the weight of the car.

Is it possible? I went to Klang to ask around rims, they quoted me quite a good price, RM5000 for 17inch Volks TE37 with Achilles Tyres. Im not really a racer so do you think its okay?

Really will appreciate your help guys.

AvanT

Custom fabricator & CNC machining
Mar 20, 2009
Sean, it's better to stick to the stock wheels & tires for your case.
If U insist on down-sizing, make sure the smaller wheels U're getting can clear the huge Brembo calipers & disc rotors that comes standard on your R35 =)

gtrmaniac

Dec 10, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Sean, it's better to stick to the stock wheels & tires for your case.
If U insist on down-sizing, make sure the smaller wheels U're getting can clear the huge Brembo calipers & disc rotors that comes standard on your R35 =)
I bought this car quite cheap from my brother, hes a sofware engineer. So i dont want to sell the car because he really loved it. So im taking care of it on his behalf.

I really dont know anything about cars because im not a car guy. I love travelling.

I did not think about the brakes. Can something be done about the brakes? Can i change it to smaller ones together with the wheels?

I can change the tyres for RM10,000, i have the money, but i think its just too much of a waste, wasting my hard earned money on a bunch of tyres which are going to wear out and dissapear on the surface of the road when im using the car.

I just want simple smaller rims and affordable tyres.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
as others would say...welcome to the world of gtr...

and if it true what he saying...rm 10k for tires alone is one serious joke...

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Hi gtrmaniac.

The smallest size you can downgrade is 18". If you are thinking of TE37, then you should be looking at FR: 18X10 +30 and RR: 18x11 +18.

You mentioned you got quoted RM 5,000 for 17" TE37 with Achilles Tyres. You do realize that at those prices, the wheels are replica, and Achilles are not the kind of tyres you'll fit into a GT-R.

If you are really on a budget, I do have a set of used wheels removed from the 2010 model. I may be willing to remove the tyres out for you if the price is right.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Using cheap rims, I guess it will probably shatter under the tremendous force generated from the weight and torque from braking. Nissan didn't choose the stock rims solely on looks, its also to clear the brakes that others have mentioned.

Considering that you are always offshore and seldom drive, the tyres will last you a long time. Kindly do yourself a favor and invest that RM10,000 needed for the rubbers (tho I doubt it is THAT expensive, I can give you my klang tyre guy's contact number if you're getting ripped off).

frootloops

Known Member
May 28, 2009
What V-spec said is right..smallest u can downgrade is 18inches but it will be tough to find rims that match the specs plus might cos u almost RM10000 as well...just maintain the stock rims and since u hv the money just change the tires..u wouldn't want to be cheap with the only thing that is keeping u gripped and in contact with the ground and keeping u under control..that RM10000 might save your life

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
Its actually dangerous to downsize tyres. Better sell the car instead

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi there,

I have the perfect solution for you. I have a complete set of Lexus LS430 17 inch rims and Lexus LS400 4-pot brakes that I am happy to swap for your rims and brakes.
The tyres are brand new Falken Ziex 912s.
A new set only costs 1600 for all 4 tyres.

Awaiting your PM.

Many thanks! :)

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
The cheaper tyre option is the OEM Bridgestone RE070R which retails at slightly above 8k per set (4pcs new). Try not to downgrade the wheels size. Otherwise you can get used OEM R35 tyres from tyre shops (I've seen a few shops selling used R35 tyres, and a few of them thrown across the street from ATS Automobile) or from V-Spec as mentioned above.

Otherwise if you insist on downgrading, I'm happy to take the OEM wheels and worn out tyres from you AND pay for a set of replacement rims + tyres. If the brakes cannot clear the smaller wheels, I'll take the OEM brakes and replace them with smaller brakes, all at no cost to you. However I won't be responsible if this action upsets the very sensitive electronics on your car.

abunawas

Known Member
Nov 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
for a person who works offshore, i would assume you have basic mechanical knowledge and know how and i am baffled how you can even think of this idea to save those money.

if you cant afford the tyres, just get rid of the car instead of thinking el-cheapo mickey mouse ideas like downgrading the wheel size. totally silly and unfounded, outright dangerous. isn't safety the priorty for offshore workers? have you seen any rigs downsizing their choke manifolds to save cost? your brother wants you to maintain the car so ask him to pay. if he cant afford, dont drive a GTR. i am sure he has nice cars in the US also.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Focal Point would like to wish all our muslim customers, supporters and loyalists SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI. Drive safely. Share your love and kindness everywhere. Have a good celebration. Thank you for the solid support. Cheers!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience