NHC not stable crusing above 110km/h

aaronC

Mar 19, 2006
Seremban
Hi forumers, me and my family just got our first brand new honda city E+ a week ago, most of the time we are running around town and when we started our first long journey back to our kampung using north south express highway, that is when I felt the car reaction is weird occasionally going sideways when driving above 110 km/h even my wife and kid sitting behind felt that too.

So, I was hoping to get some inputs from you sifus to counter this problem by doing my first priority modification which is stability of the car. Please advise on the option below which is best suited. BTW the car has no body kit and is running on standard wheels 185/55R16 which i think is the problem.

Option 1 - Front top and bottom anti roll bar

Option 2 - Add body kit for aerodynamic

Option 3 - change the wheels to 195/55R15 or 205/45R17

Option 4 - change springs or adjustable coilovers

Any suggestion are most welcome :driver: Thanks !

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro, there is not top anti- roll bar. There is top strut bar.
And I think there is nothing to do with the tyres. Try not to experiment with different tyre sizes until you are ready for any surprises in fuel economy and power delivery.

aaronC

Mar 19, 2006
Seremban
it might be but this happens through out my journey from kl to seremban whenever i step above 110km/h
any chance that we can counter the cross wind??

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
Go back to honda check alignment dont go outside tyre shop unless you know them well

aaronC

Mar 19, 2006
Seremban
Thanks for the advise guys, my first service will bring back to honda and check while in the meantime planning to install the top struct bar and the bottom anti roll bar and see how it feels overall.

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
don't modify things unless u're ok to give up warranty..

Going sideways at certain stretches? Could be cross wind?
Agreed with bro vr2, when the platform is flat enough, the wind chamber is incredible some car even moved automaticlly to the other lane during midnight cause the wind is stronger..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Bro, those chassis bars are good to increase stability especially for cornering. Also adds to safety. But they will not solve the problem that you are having. Anti-roll bars resist body roll while cornering. The tradeoff is that you will lose some independence between left and right and will lead to some jarring (side to side movements) on uneven roads.

To me, your problem sounds like alignment, steering cushion, rack end, uneven tyres (bumps) or cross wind. That is just according to what I experienced before. To make sure, best check with honda.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Go back to honda check alignment dont go outside tyre shop unless you know them well
Agree with this especially since it's still a brand new car.
Option 1 & 4 will improve your handling a lot but might revoke your warranty. Btw top bar is strut bar, not anti roll bar. I suggest if want to add/replace, better go with front & rear anti roll bar instead of strut bar cause those 2 give the most benefits, along with sport suspension.
Option 2 will not do anything, just cosmetic only! Those body kits are not designed by race teams to add down force so don't expect much.
Option 3, will also improve your stability and may not revoke your warranty but might be the most costly. If still want to change then I'd suggest to still stay with 16' rims but get wider 7 inch ones so that you can fit 205/50/16 tires. Choose the lightest rims you can afford and stay away from heavy ones as it will be detrimental to just about any aspect of your performance (acceleration, braking distance, fuel economy).

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Check the suspension too, you never know have faulty ones even new...:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Option 1 & 4 will improve your handling a lot but might revoke your warranty. Btw top bar is strut bar, not anti roll bar. I suggest if want to add/replace, better go with front & rear anti roll bar instead of strut bar cause those 2 give the most benefits, along with sport suspension.
Option 2 will not do anything, just cosmetic only! Those body kits are not designed by race teams to add down force so don't expect much.
Option 3, will also improve your stability and may not revoke your warranty but might be the most costly. If still want to change then I'd suggest to still stay with 16' rims but get wider 7 inch ones so that you can fit 205/50/16 tires. Choose the lightest rims you can afford and stay away from heavy ones as it will be detrimental to just about any aspect of your performance (acceleration, braking distance, fuel economy).
Yup, agree with Option 2, the body kits more for looks....

Option 3, TS mentioned 195/55R15, don't go smaller. If typo and means 195/55R16, don't go higher too.
Bro. Guest suggestion of 205/50R16 is correct size but need to get wider rims. The OE ones should be too narrow, but with 205 width, the car may struggle with power.

aaronC

Mar 19, 2006
Seremban
Dear guys, i have check the tires pressure, suspension stiffness, allignment of the car and everything seems to be fine, anyway first service is coming soon and will check with honda, lets see what the honda mechanic says and will update here again.

btw, me and my wife decided for option 3 for our first mod and the next mod will be option 4 for aftermarket springs
p.s. she prefer the looks of the car with wheels first :) hmmm time to spend some time googling some 16'' wheels

yeah, and I hope it does not void the warranty for changing the wheels, need to check with honda.

Thanks vr2turbo, Veloc, neohadri, desmond0318, 6UE5t and pandaB for the advice and tips.

aaronC

Mar 19, 2006
Seremban
Bro, any recomendation for a good place to get a set of nice wheels ?

saw this on the net, very niceee

ssrtypec.jpg

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
according to tyre shop, most faith branded rim r made in china now aday, it will easily crack....

as me, i 'll buy advanti, lenso.....or ......japan oem rim.....safety purpose.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear guys, i have check the tires pressure, suspension stiffness, allignment of the car and everything seems to be fine, anyway first service is coming soon and will check with honda, lets see what the honda mechanic says and will update here again.

btw, me and my wife decided for option 3 for our first mod and the next mod will be option 4 for aftermarket springs
p.s. she prefer the looks of the car with wheels first :) hmmm time to spend some time googling some 16'' wheels

yeah, and I hope it does not void the warranty for changing the wheels, need to check with honda.

Thanks vr2turbo, Veloc, neohadri, desmond0318, 6UE5t and pandaB for the advice and tips.
If you really want to change to lower sport springs, it's better if you do that first before changing rims so that when choosing rims & tires you can really see the resulting clearance and how the stance looks. But if you're really undecided on the springs, then just make sure you buy rims and tires which stays within your fenders with plenty of clearance when doing full turns, and about the same total diameter with the std, so to minimize the risk later when your lower the car it won't scrape the fenders or inner sides.

Bro, any recomendation for a good place to get a set of nice wheels ?

saw this on the net, very niceee

View attachment 497892
according to tyre shop, most faith branded rim r made in china now aday, it will easily crack....

as me, i 'll buy advanti, lenso.....or ......japan oem rim.....safety purpose.
Agree, better buy well known brands even if made in Taiwan/Philipine like Advanti, Lenso, Enkei (non Japan). Those are good value for money if you cannot afford Japan/Euro rims. Remember to buy the lightest one you can afford, don't just focus on the looks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

See yourself as a race car driver but don't know where or how to kickstart this glamorous career? Wonder no more as the 2 great motorsport forces of Malaysia, TOC Automotive College (TOC) and professional race team Aylezo Motorsports have recently collaborated to form the TOC-Aylezo Racing Academy...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience