newbie needs serious help!

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
hey guys..i'm a newbie here. currently i drive a proton tiara..1996 model.. i have some questions here..firstly i'll provide the details about my car..

1. Never had an engine overhaul ever since the car was purchased.
2. Sometimes when i drive at high speed, the car goes up and down..it is like riding a horse...any problem? or is that normal? what can be done to reduce this?
3. Front tires are wearing out...planning to change them..any good brands..i have about rm300 for both tyres..is it enough to get low profile tyres?
4. Got wind sound when driving fast...
5. My rear ride height is rather high..a lot higher than the front ones...will it affect performance or increase wind resistance at high speed?
6. Wat can be done to improve the car's performance and handling and how much would it cost? No engine swap here..too expensive..
7. There are a lot of so called fuel saving device on the market nowadays...which is the best? air charger or fuel charger?
8. Would installing voltage stabilizer kill the car's battery? Ironically, after installing it, my car battery went flat 2 days after that...the mechanic said water not enough...is it caused by the voltage stabilizer?
9. Will installing racing plug cables increase fuel economy?
10. Can the carburettor be tuned?

That's all guys..thanks!

yinho

Known Member
Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
2. Cars going up and down means your absorbers are not doing its job. try to press each side of your suspension, if its not critically damp means its time to change your absorber
3. R u using original sports rim?
5. R u using stock suspension?
6. Personally i would prefer to improve the suspension setup because the original suspension is way too soft for a good cornering.
7. STOP believing those fuel saving gadgets. There are some thread here that provide good explaination. Search
10. Carb can be tuned. Go for engine tuning if u really wan to save fuel.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
1. i don't think you need to overhaul an engine that fast unless you drive alot.
2. its normal if your suspension is as soft as mine. i can't go over 125km/h. changing absorbers will help.
3. rm300.. enough to get continental comfortcontact, pretty good when new, but after it wears down to half the tread it starts to generate alot of noice. grip is very nice for normal driving.
4. only way to fix it is to drive in space.
5. it will make the rear unstable, more prone to oversteer, just like mine, slide so much during rain now i'm not afraid of it anymore.
6. engine performance without engine transplant, would be upgrading engine internal, and mostly you'll have to custom made them (for tiara, cuz i dun see any aftermarket parts for it), so it will cost alot more than engine transplant. either that or just change the intake and exhaust, i guess rm1000 should be able to get one well-designed exhaust system and intake. to save money, running without filter might be even better for power.
7. You'll used more fuel than before cuz they add WEIGHT to your car.
8. Not sure, but i've heard numbers of stories saying voltage regulator kills the battery. but i never used one before so i dunno. i find that there's no need for it.
9. No. Theorically those things only works if you change to racing plug/racing cable/racing igniter or firing coil. upgrade only one of them would not see much result, although this topic is kinda being disputed.
10. yes, carb is nice because you can tune it without using computer :D. you want power? go find some nascar grade 4 barrel high flow carburator, they make insane sound AND lots of power XD but you'll need bigger fuel tank, so you can make it to the next petrol station. just kidding lar..

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
unker rolla explain till me also dont understand liow, so highly technical liow :p

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
still lost to tauhutauhu ler.. he just lazy post in this forum, everything i dunno i ask him one -__-

woi later ppl think we hijack their topic talk crap lar..

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
hey rollakid thanks for the advice..really helpful..eh will lowering the suspension affect steering?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
lowering wont affect ur steering la... dont worry....

jz make sure after lowering, do ur allignment, camber caster adjust, balancing...

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
i changed to a more expensive(so called high performance!) cables last month...and it makes my meter all haywire!!my rpm gone wild..my temperature meter dead alredi..my voltage stabilizer also cannot use anymore!!!!then go back to acc shop..they change the cable that connect to my alternator to my standard cables!!dat is my biggest mistake in upgrading my car other than believing in those fuel saver devices!!!my advise no need to change to racing plug cables if u're driving a standard car...coz that plug really 'sedut' alot from yr standard plug and u can feel it!!i can feel my car suddenly becoming hard to accelerate eventhou driving alone!!but these cables sure last alot longer even compared to OEM...maybe lifetime...my fren got one..driving a wira mivec...!to save fuel..be a light footer rather than a heavy footer on the accel pedal while driving!
just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

weikhee86

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
ic.. thanks for the info. i got this situation. i upgraded my air filter to K&N open port type. if i drive carefully (light footed mode), then the FC is pretty good. but if i floor it, then the minyak makan like crazy. even worse b4 mod but the performance is good. is this normal?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The toughest woman in the world of DTM has come a long way from her humble beginnings in go-karts. Susie Stoddart then moved up to Formula Renault and then Formula 3 before finally landing behind the wheel of a DTM-prepped Mercedes-Benz C-Class for the factory team in the DTM since 2006.

Recently, she got to spend some time behind the wheel of an...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience