New diluted 991 GT3 RS gets manual and 500hp – nicknamed the 911 R!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hello guys, I'll be posting selected news and feature from the main page to the forums from now on to encourage more discussion from the forummers. I hope you'll like it. I'm especially excited about this new and speculated 911 R, which is essentially a watered down GT3 RS but with manual transmission

New diluted 991 GT3 RS gets manual and 500hp – nicknamed the 911 R!
Link: http://wp.me/peOlx-mOT

To manual shifting enthusiasts, Porsche's latest 911 R is likely the most exciting news since the Cayman GT4. Leaked ahead of its imminent Geneva debut, the new 911 R is said to be powered by 500hp 4.0L boxer six from the GT3 RS and only 500 units will be produced.

Not only that, the 911 R is also claimed to feature a manual box, thankfully. So if you're cheesed off by the fact that all good Porsches including the new GT3RS are dominated by the dual clutch PDK, you can now rejoice.

The 911 R's body, is also said to be sourced from the GT3 RS. However, this being a watered down GT3 RS will not feature RS attachments. So no fancy rear wing, air ducts nor half cage here. There seems to be new, blacked out headlights and smoked tailights although nothing is confirmed until the impending Geneva show.

From the leaked photos that were circulated, it appears that the 911 R will retain a clean and unadulterated physique. It is also said that the 911 R will commemorate Porsche's 50th anniversary of the 911 R, therefore explaining the vinyl livery of the scooped photos. We're not too sure about the red vinyls donning the top facing panels of the 911 but the classic Porsche branding on the side is highly welcomed.

Cockpit wise, what's most obvious of it all is the manual shift knob. Bliss. But what's next is the seemingly unsophisticated interior. Is this to keep with the diluted scheme of the 911 R? Likely. Got to say we have no qualms with regard to this though. Simplicity never hurt.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sometime ago they introduced a limited run retro-looking 911 but with modern amenities and mechanicals, that one I liked.

Not so crazy about the stripes though, looks too speed-racer-ish for me.

And what's wrong with the PDK laaaa.. old people like me need it maaaahh.. hahahaha

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Btw, I'm liking how you're encouraging discussion. It's like back in the old days when articles were posted in the forum, not in a webpage and everyone could comment

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Sometime ago they introduced a limited run retro-looking 911 but with modern amenities and mechanicals, that one I liked.

And what's wrong with the PDK laaaa.. old people like me need it maaaahh.. hahahaha

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Btw, I'm liking how you're encouraging discussion. It's like back in the old days when articles were posted in the forum, not in a webpage and everyone could comment
You still like Manual, JUST SAY IT!!! :biggrin:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

PDK never fails to impress for sure. The thing is, Porsche's manual box is some of the best out there so it keeps people like me sane to know there's still hope if and when we finally break "out of our league" to afford one

Yeah if it were cleaner and in all body colour that would be sweet

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If Porsche continues this trend of releasing models with manual transmission, perhaps it might influence other manufacturers to do the same. This could be for a niche market but there are still people out there who enjoys manual transmission.

Some older people might say that they had enough of driving manual transmission throughout their lifetime but as a young guy myself, I haven't had enough time to enjoy manual transmission yet throughout my lifetime. So, please don't let them die out.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Other Manufacturer before production got take into consideration, but the market like for Malaysia is auto. You make manual cannot sell.....lol:biggrin:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
If Porsche continues this trend of releasing models with manual transmission, perhaps it might influence other manufacturers to do the same. This could be for a niche market but there are still people out there who enjoys manual transmission.

Some older people might say that they had enough of driving manual transmission throughout their lifetime but as a young guy myself, I haven't had enough time to enjoy manual transmission yet throughout my lifetime. So, please don't let them died out.
Don't think it will die out yet that fast yet but it is coming soon, very soon

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Don't think it will die out yet that fast yet but it is coming soon, very soon
I think Europe is the only market that is still supporting manual transmission in majority. If they change, that will probably nail the end of manual transmission in most cars.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I think Europe is the only market that is still supporting manual transmission in majority. If they change, that will probably nail the end of manual transmission in most cars.
yes, so much so that i've read posts from people who've never driven automatics in their life

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
pdk is paddleshifter manual right?

its good to see auto trend in MY...so manual performance box cheaper to us :p

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

pdk is paddleshifter manual right?

its good to see auto trend in MY...so manual performance box cheaper to us :p

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I plan to change my absorbers and srings as the oe items are way pass their due date.
My friend suggest me to get koni absorbers with eibach springs, he said that's the best comb for comfort and performance.
Already ask around, new price is RM1700 - RM1900 plus installation but seriously don't have that kind on money to spare.
Any suggestion on where can I get a used one. BTW I'm driving a Wira1.3
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience