Neo Campro CPS to Mivec 1.6 Boleh?

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hello bro XlimShady, let me share some of my experience.... whether to convert or BOT or stay NA....

Objective
first is to consider what is your objective...
- drag?
- track & autokhanna?
- daily driven fun car with a bit more power and reliability?

OR...

- u want high HP or u want high torque?

once you decide what you want, then the mods will follow more naturally.....

Platform/chassis
then let us discuss your platform, a satria neo.......
FYI, it is not advisable for a satria neo to convert to 4G because of the difference in number of engine mounting, the campro in satria neo have only 2 engine mountings while the 4g92/4g93t have 3 mountings..... satria neo also missing the lower crossmember, unlike waja, gen2and persona, they have 3 mountings n the lower cross member, so its just plug n play.....

Conversion
yes u can sangkut the 4g engine but due to the short of one mounting, the rattle, vibration and movement of the more powerful 4G engine will definitely damage the handling of your neo (especially mivec that can rev up to 8.5k rpm in stock form), trust me u will hate your neo if you go this way.... but if u only wanna drag ur neo, then this conversion is the way to go because we can only use 4G series from CK5A or CM5A chassis or evo4-6.... but evo cant endorse anymore, so only few options.... of course u can ROJAK the 4G series like:
-get a mivec 1.6 and change the block to 1.8, so it becomes a mivec 1.8 OR
-get a gsr 1.8 and change the head to mivec, so it becomes a gsr 1.8 mivec..... YUMMY....
-also u can up the torque by using a 4g94 2.0 block but seriously, parts mmg rare n maintenance sucks............
-there is also a less powerful 4g93 GDI 1.8 NA or turbo but not worth the money spent.... (power is low n parts hard to get)

other points would be the age of these engines.... CK/CM chassis is at least 10-15 years already (since evo4 time), so the engine will also be as old as that... halfcut will set u back from rm 6k all the way to rm12k, then the cost of rebuilding and parts availability is kinda scarce...... meaning maintenance SUCKS! you also need to get it endorse.... bnyk kerja n bnyk duit..... but if u could source a good reputable tuner, it will be money well spend cos in stock std, the power is much2 higher that campro of all generation.....hehehe

BOT
an easy way and lately it is already save to BOT campro as long as u dont overboost the engine.... safe would mean that boost would be around 0.5-0.8psi max on std high compression internals.... this will net you HP around 170-190hp with quite great torque.... any higher than that be prepare to invest cos need to custom a lot of things.... do note that campro have tendency to fail on crank.... be it NA or BOT, many reported cases on campro failing on the crank.... patah terus n berkecai..... u can still daily drive BOT campro and it will still retain the superb neo handling and chassis capability cos u dont change or alter the mounting..... trust me it will be a fun car to drive!

Normal Aspiration
this is still the safest way to mod your neo and retain all the characteristics of the car.... campro sucks cos of the low rev torque dip, but in higher rpm range, it is still one of the modest engine around.... in the market now there are a lot of tuners coming up with perf parts for campro engine and proven on track/drag strip..... its just that the amount that u spend on an NA engine will not net as much power as a turbo engine.... if u spend rm30k on NA engine u maybe will net around 30hp max, but if u spend rm30k on a turbo engine, the power will be upped by at least 50hp.... but, NA easy to maintain n durable, turbo still not that hard to maintain but not as durable if u keep on redlining the engine....

i would suggest for your neo cps, keep it NA by:
- high comp pistons, or bore and use bigger pistons
- PnP head (stage 3)
- high cams and all related light pulleys available (crank, waterpump, adj cams)
- port match the intake, TB to the cams duration and degree
- open pod + CAI + fuel regulator + iridium plugs + bigger fuel rails + bigger core radiator + oil cooler + more powerful fuel pump
- properly tuned headers + free flow exhaust
- haltech platinum/sprint 500, if have extra cash go for 1000 (it can withstand higher temperature than 500 with more sensors)
- get a mivec gearbox with FD4.6 with or without LSD, or a cheaper option get exora manual GB.... it also have FD4.6
- exedy 3/4 puck with cover, get the japan one
- once all been done, get your engine fully balanced and blueprinted and then re-tune the haltech

these mods alone will allow your car to rev up to 8k rpm safely with usable power as low as 3k rpm (depend on setting) and you will get more torque n hp and retain all the nice handling, no need to endorse, parts senang dapat, etc etc

but always make sure you use a good lubrication which mostly expensive la (engine oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid, coolant, steering oil), and always buy ORIGINAL parts, never trust copycat parts..... pastu kalau dah siap semua get a good suspension setup via fully adjustable suspension, chassis bars, and upgrade your brake cos doesnt matter how powerful and how fast your ride, u still need to stop on time!

cheers and happy modding bro.....

Wow, thanks for taking your time to write such a detailed explanation. Really appreciate it. =)

I'm still giving it some thought also.... since my goal is only about 180HP I might still go for BOT. My target is a fast street car, dun plan to track or drag. Street warrior only, can keep up with camry enough :rofl: Anything more than that next time change car already. But at the same time I like the high rev of NA..... so still need to give it some thought.

Now my mods are
1. 421 Straight flow exhaust (done my MFA from lowyat)
2. Iridium plugs
3. Open pod.
4. Zaptor VS
5. PnP throttle at Dori Dori

Latest service also done by dori dori.

Btw, I think they have cranks for campro engines already from the CFE engine which can be used on campro turbo. That might give the crank more reliability after BOT.

Last edited:

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, newbie here :)
wanna ask sumthing,if neo has less 1 mounting,can it be custom built and use it (safely) as 3rd mounting?
and lets say if,IF (somehow,somewhere) we can get the evo to be endorsed,is it gonna be a good long term,safe and reliable investment?
sorry if i'm asking somethg that may have bn asked before or redundant but im just looking for some clarification from all experienced bros and sifus here! thank you sir!

firdausasri

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Anything you do in meddling with the mountings will be considered illegal in the eyes of JPJ. Even EK with K20 courtesy of Hassport mountings also deemed illegal (as of now I think)....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if the mounting was done properly, it can pass the puspakom without much trouble.....

because in jpj guidebook...it was stated for proton if transplant with mitsubishi more or less just a simple swap because same "mother" factory.....another example such as perodua with daihatsu engine (from similar model) also falls in the same category

Senarai buatan-buatan yang dikategorikan sebagai sama (klon)

PROTON <-> a) MITSUBISHI
b) RENAULT (SAVY,WAJA 1.8)
c) CITROEN ( TIARA)
* penukaran enjin hendaklah dari model enjin yang sama varience dengan PROTON.Sebarang pengubahsuaian "Engine Mounting" adalah tidak dibenarkan sama sekali.
PERODUA <-> DAIHATSU / TOYOTA
FORD <-> MAZDA
PEUGOT <-> CITROEN
HICOM <-> ISUZU

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
alrite.understood. thanks for the useful info,sir!
so means that if mountings are properly done and deemed safe,chances of passing the inspection is likely gonna be high?
and if so, engine conversion still dictated by the law of 0.2 increment in CC right? (Proton-wise,others im not sure)
regardless meddling with mountings or not,right?
coz i was thinking,if there's any slight chance of passing the inspection with an EVO engine (without pulling strings,of coz,heheh)...if not,this idea gonna be scrapped off
and BOT is likely the NEXT best mod to Campro,both non and CPS...
any advise is more than welcome,thank you sir...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yep..chance are high when done properly...

proton limited to 20% cc increment yes...

no chance of passing inspection with evo 4g63T engine....

but there's another way to cramming 2.0liter displacement with just 1.8engine block....
look for 4g94...endorse with that engine and then buy another engine which is 4g63T then transfer all neccessary item into the endorsed 4g94 engine... :adore: (*thats what ppl do but me have no experience on that)

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
wahhh...thanks for the useful info sir! info which i was searching around for quite a while (u know lah,noobie susah nak find correct factual answer,hehehe)
all this while i was looking hi n lo for what kind of block or engine that can pass endorsement and then maybe integrate 4g63t part in it,then u gv a straight answer for that,thanks again!
btw let's say, if we go the route u're suggesting, if there any risk or what kind of problems might arise from this transplant?
any pros and cons,sir?thanks again for any useful input given...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
that one i can't help sir...no experience on that...digging into 4g93/mivec thread might help?

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
done that already sir.was looking into those AUS/NZ forum and here,hi n lo...but couldnt find any detailed explaination on this kinda transplant...moreover,here,most of the transplant done into neo are MIVEC CK n GSR.no legal prob and less hassle.easier opt for people but the age of the engine and reliability strucked me as somewhat unworthy for these engines transplant...except if money is on the high side and willing to spend for max rebuilding...then like that ok la...hahahaha
thinking of putting an EVO 6 if budget permits....hehehehe :burnout::thrasher:

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone that has more info can feel free to post here. Keep the thread alive. No harm having more info =)

Jerry_ann

Sep 13, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I am driving a satria neo 1.6 (A) 2006. I have BOT my car since 1 year plus ago, boosting at 0.7 bar. So far no major issue. The key point is you have to make sure you got the right setup and proper tuning...

ecal echal

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
hi jerry_ann
got some few questions if u dont mind answering...
can u tell us more abt ur BOT setup, is it like standard internal or some parts upgraded???
and how much it cost u when u did this?
coz i looked around,price quoted range from as low as rm8k++ to rm12k-rm15k...basically for that rm8k++ package is super basic BOT upgrade,maintain std internal parts and boost at .4-.5,unichip and tune sikit2...hehehehe.
any advice and info is very2 much appreciated,thanks! :)

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I am driving a satria neo 1.6 (A) 2006. I have BOT my car since 1 year plus ago, boosting at 0.7 bar. So far no major issue. The key point is you have to make sure you got the right setup and proper tuning...
Which workshop? Xenon?

Jerry_ann

Sep 13, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
hi jerry_ann
got some few questions if u dont mind answering...
can u tell us more abt ur BOT setup, is it like standard internal or some parts upgraded???
and how much it cost u when u did this?
coz i looked around,price quoted range from as low as rm8k++ to rm12k-rm15k...basically for that rm8k++ package is super basic BOT upgrade,maintain std internal parts and boost at .4-.5,unichip and tune sikit2...hehehehe.
any advice and info is very2 much appreciated,thanks! :)
Which workshop? Xenon?
Ya initially was Xenon setup but now i have replaced few parts with new things.
The basic kit (exhaust excluded) should cost you around rm6K, all depends on your requirement, without management.
I used to go for piggyback (haltech interceptor), cost me around rm5K (Map sensor, installation, dyno tuning and plugs).
Currently i am using standlone (haltech Sprint 500), trade in my interceptor, i need to top up another rm4K (installation and dyno tuning).

You also need to save your money for another parts of your car, if you can afford:
1) full exhaust (I am using 2.5" all the way, midbox +S-flow, more than rm1K)
2) oil cooler (engine oil and transmisson since mine is auto, another rm1K for both)
3) brake upgrade (I am using steel braid hoses, better pad, around rm700 for front and rear)
4) suspension (I am using IMProve abs, around Rm1K)
5) lower down your compression (either metal gasket or change forged pistons, i am using metal gasket)
6) some gauges to monitor your car condition such as boost, water temp, oil temp and pressure etc.
7) better tyres

still many more to be list out. Yes maybe you think it is not worth to put so much money on a proton car but its all about how you enjoy the ride sometimes, anyway, I'm okay with it.:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

bit confuse with the wiring, can anybody help?
please explain to me what/which wire connect to where, why?
i want to DIY install.

thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience