Need Help with tyres for drift...

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
Hi there all,

I am new to professional drifting. I have a Toyota Celica 1985 RWD which used to be an Automatic(Looks like an AE86 but is much wider). I used to drift with the Auto Gearbox on the sand and i got a hang on how to drift with the help of Tsuchiya (Drift Bible) and really love it.

The problem I am having is I recently changed my Toyota's powerplant to a 1JZ GTE (2.5 litre TT) from a Supra. I managed to get the Supra's subframe and rear differential installed with LSD but i am not sure of the tire size for my car. I have no one to advise me. I already bought 1 set of Enkei RPO1 16" the front is 7 inch wide and the rear is 8 inch wide and i managed to get Yokohama 16" 215/50 series tires for the front and 16" 235/50 series tires for the rear and i am ok with this setup for my normal daily use. the part i am unsure of is when i want to go drifting for example join a SSO or maybe go for a drift practice in Batu Kawan what tires should i use. I tought of getting my self another set of rims which are 7 inches wide for example 16" 205/50 for the front and rear. DOes this work? waht do you guys use when u guys are dirfting. Do i need to get another set of rims similar to my current ones or can i use the rims with 7 inch width for both front and back. Please help. My Car Picture is attached

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
will the 7 inch wide rims work in the rear ?

thanks for the info guys but will the 7 inch instead of the 8 inch wide rims and tyres work for me during drift ? can i use the 7 inch wide rims and a 205/50 series tyres on both front and back? or is my current setup the best ?

wenshen

1,000 RPM
Jul 24, 2004
PEEjay
driftneyland.blogspot.com
dude.. normally drift setup is the rear tyres are extended outER abit and the front wheels are left inside un touched.. u can either do the extention with widening the tyres or use spacers..

jz my 2cents..

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
thanks for the info

thanks for the info man.. your reply was the exact reassurance i was looking for....rear wider then the back but just say the tyres are the same width and size and the rear is wider then the front... will this work ?

wenshen

1,000 RPM
Jul 24, 2004
PEEjay
driftneyland.blogspot.com
yeah.. will work.. wat u meant is spacers.. they put a longer screw to ur original one.. purpose to extend the tyres out.. but after dat.. got one disadvantage..

when u are driving normally.. it will b harder to turn your car.. ;) as for the rear tyres are extended.. so.. susah sikit.. but.. the advantage.. is u can extend the drift.. as in.. the tail will b throwed out longer.. hehe...

im oni P license. haha.. so.. jz my 2cents..

sexycar

4,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2004
©ït¥ ðf Thïêvê§
Visit site
kugan.... dude I love your car man... care to join me for drift outing?
U can private message me, I always go out with few people for
drifting.. would love to see your car in action.. we can also discuss
bout mods & such... please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
Sure will love a drift outing...

Hey there man, so u live in Penang ? Damn i didnt know that there were any drifters in Penang. Finally i got "kaki" redi.... I will email you soon man, as soon as my car comes out of the workshop. My car is having problems with the front axle as the one which came with the half cut was a bad one. So i will have to wait till it comes :( maybe a month or so. Damn... just as i was about to get mental with it. So where do you guys drfit ? Ill mail you man. and got any tyre "kang tau" ah.. please let me know...

and WenShen thanks again for your advise.. i think will buy some 16 inch 7 inch wide rims with 225/60 second had tyres to drift..

sexycar said:
kugan.... dude I love your car man... care to join me for drift outing?
U can private message me, I always go out with few people for
drifting.. would love to see your car in action.. we can also discuss
bout mods & such... please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

nottyeddy

Known Member
Sep 22, 2004
Somewhere in kl
www.drift.com.my
hi there.. my opinion.. get the 205/55/16.. abundant n easy to find.. u can use the same size for front n rear.. easier to tail out.. if wider at rear need more effort to tail out..

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
thanks for the info

Ok.. so i guess that clears my doubts as i thought as much that wider rear tyres will make it harder to drift as there will be more grip. Ok... i will follow your advise. So does the width of the rims matter ? or does it all come down to how wide the tyres are? Cos im thinking of 16 inch rims with the 7 inch width and tyres both 205/55 like u recommended... does the width of the RIM matter...?

sexycar

4,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2004
©ït¥ ðf Thïêvê§
Visit site
ooops! I didnt know that you're in Penang! I'm in KL. If that
is the case, you can always get Mr.Johnson Lam from Teluk Bahang
Speeders... they drive fast on mountain roads there , Initial-D style..
I think he is running a civic now, probably you can try challenging
him for a one hand-tie-to-steering battle... lolololoooollll!!!

nottyeddy

Known Member
Sep 22, 2004
Somewhere in kl
www.drift.com.my
usually FR rims are wider at the back coz.. duuhh.. it's FR.. anyways.. u can use 7" rims and fit the 205/55 tyres just nice.. currently i'm fitting 235/60 tyres on a 7" rims.. looks funny a bit but still usable.. will be using the tyres for UIA this sunday..

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
cool man... looks like i have a wider choice of tyres and rims then i assumed.. yeah ur right about the FR rims they come standard wider than the front...

topui11

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
the best setup for 16inch is still 205/55/16 at the front, and 225/50/16 at the rear. RPO1 is quite light in comparison to other rims.

Get something really grippy for the front tyres, something like Advan Neova Ad07 or Hankook Ventus. it'll be money well spent. for the rear, try something like ES100 or Pirelli P6000 or Michelin Energy/Premacy or any falkens or dunlop SP sport series. Try not to use Good Year NCT series as it deteriorate very fast. good Luck...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi there.
anyone know what best to do with 4g91??
what i've done was change g/box to 1.8 with trinity plate and exedy racing pressure plate. but change back to 4g91 g/box. mahal seh nk maintain. keras bapak nk tekan clutch

in my list is
1. to do port and polish together with modified cam pully to adjustable
2. change cam shaft to gsr cam or other 1.8 cam
3. change throttle body, ecu, air flow sensor and knock sensor (if i not mistaken la) to 1.8.
4. install e-manage with aerospeed...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience