Need Help Urgently!!!VR4 keep running on 3 cylinders..

putra4G63

putra4G63

Feb 25, 2008
Hows everyone doing?..Great I hope though I'm not doing well..This car problem of mine make my head spin like a GT35 during max boost..I am using VR4 engine with little mods i.e..87mm bore, HKS 272 cams, Garrett AR50 TO4S Turbo, 560cc injectors and e-manage(blue)..I've just installed a new fuel rail(can I consider WORKS as cap ayam) and my car cannot seem to run away from his 'problem' mistress..On start up it was fine but after certain time of driving, it run on 3 cylinders..I've change the plugs more time than models change their cloth during fashion show but the problem keep coming..I've checked the compression to check whether any valve's leak but all 4 pistons seem ok..
..I've asked around and here are few choices that I've got so far (although the source of answer is not reliable as cap AYAM wastegate during high boost)..
1. I should change my coil because my number 2&3 plugs look uglier than my 1&4.
2. I should retune my car because of the new fuel rail which caused overflow of fuel.
3. I should get rid of my e-manage because of the not-so-good reputation with turbo cars. (its not me saying this, it's THAT GUY)..Thousand apologies to GREDDY..
4. I should get rid of this KAMPUNG MADE Engine and use back my stock engine. (Everyone knows, stock engine means less problem and less boost for that matter)..
..Can anyone suggest what's the problem and I will be more than happy to belanja you teh tarik and roti canai coz I know I will be spending more on plugs if this problem persist. And I dont want to be the first 'plugs collector' here in Malaysia..Sorry for this long post..Cheers and take care everyone..

(p/s : Congrats to GT AUTO for becoming the first sub 9 sec car in Malaysia..I am proud to say that I was there when the towing truck came and tarik your car to SIC (I know this has nothing to do with it but still, I'm very very proud and I have the photo proof...hehehe)

Last edited:

proPIPING

1,000 RPM

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
to many posibblity....thortle body?when the 3 clinder came izzit any black smoke from the exhaust?

proPIPING

1,000 RPM

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
my friend experience this kind of problem before,his inlet manifold gasket fail....

jeffayn

500 RPM

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
I am assuming that there is no mechanical problem with the engine.. so it must have something to do with the ignition system....

1. check the plugs (which is very obvious and should be corrected easily)
2. ignition cable, cables which look outside fine and great may have broken connection in it, even though you can check it with a tester and show ok, but when it put to work it is not fine
3. the distributor problem. it can be one point is not able to be contacted

the more interesting part is the e-manage, did u DIY or someone else help you to set it? if mechanical is ok, this is a very important section to look into it.

if comes to mechanical, there is a lot more to look into it...
such as , the injector .. are they working at the right timing ?
how about the cam, are they at right angle ?

rich in fuel is unlikely to cause 3 cylinder working unless the fuel is so rich it actually flood the whole cylinder..:rofl:
but lack of fuel is more likely the culprit. Look at your plug for culprit sign.

you say the 2 4 plug seem uglier, how ugly , if possible you can show me the pic of 1 3 n 2 4 , it can tell us alot of tell tale sign what is going on in the cylinder....

good luck man

RS gang

1,000 RPM

RS gang

1,000 RPM
Feb 19, 2006
www.egoldmalaysia.com
i've experienced this kinda problem before...
try to check ur :
- fuel regulator
- plug coil
- power TR unit
- engine wiring (u know vr4..hehehe)

Let me know if u already check the item i said here...

putra4G63

putra4G63

Feb 25, 2008
Thx for all the help so far..Really appreciate all the infos..I have to correct something from my previous thread..I've checked further and I found that after certain time of driving (~15 mins) only piston 1&4 are working whereas piston 2&3 are not working..I noticed also that my 2&3 plug are blacker than 1&4(i'll try to take a photo and post it later) indicating that there are 'richer ' setup there(pls correct me if I'm wrong on this)..My foreman suggest me to change the coil becoz 2&3 share the same coil..KA CHING!!!DONE THAT and still I have the same problem..

I can ruled out few diagnose so far;
1. Plug is not KONG because I can start my car perfectly fine after let it cold for a while. Only after few mins then the problem started again.
2. My car is running 1.5 bar so I've set it on a rich setup(with little black smoke from exhaust) but I don't think rich setup is the problem here because all this while it was running perfectly ok..Just recently I have this problem..We dont have dyno here in Sarawak but i get my e manage tuned by an acknowledged tuner..So I think my e manage is still doing it work..

..I suspect this has something to do with the ignition coz I've swapped injector and still the problem persist..I plan to test out new power unit and see how it goes..And I will do detail check on the ignition and wiring system..I'not using VR4 wiring, my car used all evo's part except the engine only..Magic 1.8 litre VR4..I think everyone here know what I'm talking about..

Few questions to our bro's here...
Bro proPIPING : which inlet manifold gasket are you referring to?..Please be precise coz NEWBIE here maaaaa...Sometimes the terminalogy is different..
Bro jeffayn : I dont really know about the injector timing or the cam angle..just PASANG AND DRIVE type of guy,hehehe..So can you please elaborate more on that..

Looking forward to hearing from you guys again and sorry to take away some of your precious time...Thank...

CHeers and Take Care everyone...

khoyos

2,000 RPM

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
come to think of it, i had the same problem like what u faced, 4 years ago. almost forgot about it. thought it was kong valve seals in 1 or 2 of the cylinders (no smoke but constant misfiring like 3 cylinders). did top overhaul, replace all those valve seals n still the same prob persist. my trusted mechanic traced the problem to "kaput" wires inside the wiring loom leading to the injectors. he worked his magic n problem solved!

calmshot

Known Member

calmshot

Known Member
Mar 28, 2005
Equine Park
this thing happen to me before, after some period of time, my engine run on 3 cylinder. Then my mech change the coil, and the problem solved.

But you already changed the coil, as khoyos said, maybe need to check some wiring to the coil. just my 2cents :hmmmm:

proPIPING

1,000 RPM

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
i'm refering to the gasket between the inlet manifold and the cylinder head but ignore that if you said that plug 2,3 are always in rich condition...for me your problem maybe come from the igniter(power tr unit),distributor(bcoz only it's know when to fire the plug base on engine rotation) or the aluminium box(injector ballast) located at the firewall behind the inlet manifold....:idea:

putra4G63

putra4G63

Feb 25, 2008
come to think of it, i had the same problem like what u faced, 4 years ago. almost forgot about it. thought it was kong valve seals in 1 or 2 of the cylinders (no smoke but constant misfiring like 3 cylinders). did top overhaul, replace all those valve seals n still the same prob persist. my trusted mechanic traced the problem to "kaput" wires inside the wiring loom leading to the injectors. he worked his magic n problem solved![/Q

i think so too..must be something to do with the wiring...

proPIPING

1,000 RPM

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
i solve a problem with my friend car vr4 today..it jerk when the boost came close to 0.5bar...it was the power tr unit...before that i've check his car plug,1&4 ok,2&3 a bit dark(rich)..after change the pwr tr unit the car run smooth with 1.2bar all the way till rpm cut...:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Haltech and Microtech Tuning Day

To all who use the Microtech or Haltech ECU, we had a day of tuning for vehicles using the ECU, tuning is limited to 10 cars only.Free for Dyno only, Pay For Fee Tuning.Tune max POWER,safe and reliable.Drag,Drift and Track...we tune for you.

We are here Advanced Performance Tuning: Haltech and Microtech Tuning Day
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience