Need help on clicking noise!!!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Please people... I need help. I suspected that my VVT pulley kaput and so I got it replaced. Got a used one. Upon replacing, the noise is even louder. What can and what should I do?

I appreciate if you can click on the link and view the video. Let me know if it is VVT pulley sound or some other problems... this is driving me crazy. Spent lots of money but its not well.

Sorry i don't know how to make the video appear here.
4AGE Blacktop ticking noise - YouTube

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I know next to nothing about the 4AGE engine. But on my car it sounds like a tappet issue. But that's my car la.. your car more sophisticated

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dude, it sound like diesel engine.

Have you check all the belts? is it too tight or too loose?
hi... i just changed all belts. Nothing to do with belts being tight or loose i think.

I know next to nothing about the 4AGE engine. But on my car it sounds like a tappet issue. But that's my car la.. your car more sophisticated
Sounds like tappet issue to me too. Im gonna check tomorrow. But the thing about this engine is that if the VVT kaputs, it gives out this sound too. Nothing sophisticated la this engine. Those new vvt-i then sophisticated.

found this on youtube lol .. sounds like normal

4A-GE - How They Should Sound - YouTube
I know its normal for 4AGE. And even so, the noise is slight. My engine's noise it too loud!

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
ahhh...the infamous diesel tick...

by saying that...have you tried slightly higher weight oil like danz suggest...i use to run on xx-40 that time engine also sound like a diesel...now running on xx-50...sound muffled a bit...but sound is still there...for me its ok la...still acceptable as long as there no major power loss...i still can live with the ticks...

doesn't want to discourage you...but bear in mind that 4ag is an old engine...given its age there are bound to have major wear and tear...

whats your current millage...?? if already pass 200K...you might considering overhauling the engine...changing part by part is a trial and error process (if got it right then lucky...if not then back to the drawing board again)...waste of time and effort if you ask me...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I too think is tappet sound. Try adjusting the tappets first....

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

by saying that...have you tried slightly higher weight oil like danz suggest...i use to run on xx-40 that time engine also sound like a diesel...now running on xx-50...sound muffled a bit...but sound is still there...for me its ok la...still acceptable as long as there no major power loss...i still can live with the ticks...

doesn't want to discourage you...but bear in mind that 4ag is an old engine...given its age there are bound to have major wear and tear...

whats your current millage...?? if already pass 200K...you might considering overhauling the engine...changing part by part is a trial and error process (if got it right then lucky...if not then back to the drawing board again)...waste of time and effort if you ask me...
Running 50 weight oil not heavy for the engine?

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007

just curious, does it happen to 4AFE as well?

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
50 weight oil just nice for my driving style vr2turbo...now days drive like uncle already...only floor it when overtaking...if not normally its 120km/h@4 rpm which is good enough for town drive...heavy or not is not relative anymore when you driving with 2 kids in the back seat... :slug:

aside from the ticking sound...my engine also "makan minyak"...4 liter of lower weight 40 or 30 wont last 4k km...50 weight can stretch a bit to 5k...but that another story... :sleep:

never had this problem when i use to run 4afe...its the vvt thingy i guess...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
50 weight oil just nice for my driving style vr2turbo...now days drive like uncle already...only floor it when overtaking...if not normally its 120km/h@4 rpm which is good enough for town drive...heavy or not is not relative anymore when you driving with 2 kids in the back seat... :slug:

aside from the ticking sound...my engine also "makan minyak"...4 liter of lower weight 40 or 30 wont last 4k km...50 weight can stretch a bit to 5k...but that another story... :sleep:

never had this problem when i use to run 4afe...its the vvt thingy i guess...
You youngsters all drive like uncle, Uncle here drive like youngster.....hahahahaha:rofl:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Fyi, 4age 20v doesn't hv tappets.. So, u can't adjust it..

The sound comes from vvt pulley.. It's recommended to change to new pulley but d price rm850

I recommend change to another used pulley but u hv to inspect it 1st

Press d pulley.. If it easy to press, it will tick the 'tick of death' (that's what most 4age 20v enthusiasts call it)

If it's hard, that's what u should buy.. Price around rm100-200

Gudluck :burnout:

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

For Engine oil i also recommend xx-50 for daily driving

& thinner oil for racing (of coz) :wink:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Please people... I need help. I suspected that my VVT pulley kaput and so I got it replaced. Got a used one. Upon replacing, the noise is even louder. What can and what should I do?

I appreciate if you can click on the link and view the video. Let me know if it is VVT pulley sound or some other problems... this is driving me crazy. Spent lots of money but its not well.

Sorry i don't know how to make the video appear here.
4AGE Blacktop ticking noise - YouTube
This is a signature noise of 4A-GE 20V :biggrin:
You can get rid of it by replacing the VVT cam pulley. Some forumer here offer rebuilt service but the result varies. Alternatively, you may use an after market cam pulley but it involve some tuning and also you will lost the VVT function.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Fyi, 4age 20v doesn't hv tappets.. So, u can't adjust it..

The sound comes from vvt pulley.. It's recommended to change to new pulley but d price rm850

I recommend change to another used pulley but u hv to inspect it 1st

Press d pulley.. If it easy to press, it will tick the 'tick of death' (that's what most 4age 20v enthusiasts call it)

If it's hard, that's what u should buy.. Price around rm100-200

Gudluck :burnout:

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

For Engine oil i also recommend xx-50 for daily driving

& thinner oil for racing (of coz) :wink:
Hi bro... 20 valve does have tappets of coz. I think what u meant is it does not have rocker arm. I open it up to dissassemble and wash myself.

Where u get d price of new 850????!!! I got quoted 1.3k. So i forgo that option.

Anyways, to think of it, it sounds very much like valvetrain problem. My previous pulley makes noise but not this loud. I know d 20 sound, its just not this loud. And when i rev, d noise doesnt go away. It increases. The only confusing thing is why did the valve setting mess up? I changed the pulley. Didn't disturb the valve also.

This is a signature noise of 4A-GE 20V :biggrin:
You can get rid of it by replacing the VVT cam pulley. Some forumer here offer rebuilt service but the result varies. Alternatively, you may use an after market cam pulley but it involve some tuning and also you will lost the VVT function.
Thanks bro. I will have my valve clearance checked. If its really the pulley, i might consider to change to adjustable.

Sent from my android using Tapatalk.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Hi bro... 20 valve does have tappets of coz. I think what u meant is it does not have rocker arm. I open it up to dissassemble and wash myself.

Where u get d price of new 850????!!! I got quoted 1.3k. So i forgo that option.

Anyways, to think of it, it sounds very much like valvetrain problem. My previous pulley makes noise but not this loud. I know d 20 sound, its just not this loud. And when i rev, d noise doesnt go away. It increases. The only confusing thing is why did the valve setting mess up? I changed the pulley. Didn't disturb the valve also.
if u want i can get d vvt pulley for u.. juz add poslaju charge & i'll pos it for u :wink:

this is how to check your pulley..

How to replace a 4AGE 20 valve VVT pulley - YouTube

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Folks i would like to know ig anyone has/have install this intake before in thier 1.8 mivec setup...hows the performance n respond type...

im considering between skunk2/performer X or Victor X
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience