NA to Evo 4 turbo

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Well many convert to AWD which is more recommended coz can handle power better and it's what makes Evo special. Fwd with this kind of power will chew up the front tires fast.

Evo 9 stock boost peaking around 1.45 then tapered down to about 1.2. Not sure about Evo 4, I think not yet reaching 1.4 for stock boost more like 1.2-1.3 then maybe tapered down to 1-1.1.

As I said above, if you feel the power now enough and you see the pressure on the boost gauge is stable, then no need to change to external gate yet. Changing to external gate will require taking off the turbo then welding shut the internal gate or remove it completely, then modify either the manifold or O2 housing to install the wastegate, all will cost a lot of money too. If you're just targeting 300+ hp, then just use upgraded actuator like me.

Do you have an electronic boost controller? If no, I recommend you get one like Greddy Profec B v2, or the newer OLED version.
it has a turbo timer greddy. Is this the electronic boost controller?
Yeah I will just keep it stock boost

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
These converts, u better know what ur getting into. I'm curious bout one thing, can you check what's the rim specs front and back? Want to know how many lugs it uses

4wd Waja is always sketchy never go for those. Even if you don't mind illegal mods, there is no direct pnp floor you can use, usually end up with a tongek setup or mangled floor.

Evo9 boost peaks at 1.3 then tappers off. This I'm pretty sure.
rim is 17"x9jj

4gbanger

1,500 RPM

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
Here's my reply on RED font. Hope it helps and correct me if im wrong.

Hi guys, currently I'm interested to play turbo. Now playing NA car, neo vvl engine.
Was looking at a EVO 4 waja.
Since I'm new, I don't know much about turbo. So asking for help to understand the car specification.
Also need some clarifications on few things.
Engine stock evo 4 with evo 4 gearbox LSD locked. Evo 6 ecu.

1) Petrol tank 4wd evo 4 --> to get accurate fuel reading.
i dont think stock tank gonna have any different. fuel level measures by a floating arm at the fuel pump cartridge.
2) Engine evo 4, ecu evo 6 --> He said due to evo 6 ecu can adjust and remap, so no need management. He made the car exhaust to spit fire when high ram.. Is this true about evo 6 ecu better and is it good for the engine to spit fire lol.
it is ok to use evo 6 ecu as it has newer ROM provided it is reflash tune to the current engine condition. if the tuner good enuff, ecu can be
re install with new ROM for more function such as flat foot shift and antilag. those spit fire were mild function of using rev limiter with plug
misfiring.
3) He didn't use wastegate due to already setting ecu to boost at only 1.3-1.4 bar. He said its safer to avoid wastegate complications if it spoilt.
stock evo ecu (evo 4 above) has boost limit, and can also be reflash to put higher boost limit. on your case, tuner put 1.4 bar. it has nothing to
with wastegate complication as stock turbo has wastegate actuator in standard form to run the job. but there are some case, owner unproperly install wastegate without balance the holes for twin scroll. so boost would be unstable and dangerous. u need to know what is the actual function of going for external wastegate.

4) He installed speed density rom map sensor and airtemp sensor. Is this good?
normally they do this in order to delete MAF sensor. ecu will take parameter from speed sensor and map sensor for the mapping.
5) have Sheepdog blowoff. What does this do?
sheepdog is a aftermarket blow-off, just as same as other aftermarket blow-off.

Also, what kind of FC am I expecting out of a evo 4 engine lol. Leg is moderately heavy.

Thanks

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
4wd Waja is always sketchy never go for those. Even if you don't mind illegal mods, there is no direct pnp floor you can use, usually end up with a tongek setup or mangled floor.

Evo9 boost peaks at 1.3 then tappers off. This I'm pretty sure.
Well my tuner has done several Waja to Evo full conversion with AWD. There's one even looks like my clone!

I believe 1.3 was peak for Evo 8 GSR. Starting from 8MR and 9, they peak at about 20-21psi which is about 1.4 bars.

Turbo timer is different. It only adds idle time after shutting off the key so that the heat at turbo shaft has extra time to cool down a bit.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
rim is 17"x9jj
Wanted to know if the guy is running 4 lug or 5 lug rims, wondering how much of the car did the previous owner swap over. I know some people throw on everything down to the hubs.

Well my tuner has done several Waja to Evo full conversion with AWD. There's one even looks like my clone!

I believe 1.3 was peak for Evo 8 GSR. Starting from 8MR and 9, they peak at about 20-21psi which is about 1.4 bars.

Turbo timer is different. It only adds idle time after shutting off the key so that the heat at turbo shaft has extra time to cool down a bit.
Those are lancer cedia's... That's something you can swap floors with, the waja is a completely dif chassis, u cannot make a Waja look 100% like a EvoThe pillars and everything won't allow it to look like an evo , those Evo converts are are lancers... The waja is not a lancer, it's a completely different car,based off some Volvo design.

Waja 4wd I'm not saying cannot be done, I'm saying if done, it would be best to stay away, that kinda thing is basically a completely custom job, unless you know for certain the guy who did it knows his stuff, keep away, god knows how the guy designed everything underneath (remember unlike lancers the waja never was available with a 4wd floor plan)

MR peaks I'm not sure, but stock gsr 456789 I'm very sure peaks at 1.3. that I'm 100% sure.

Reactions: 6UE5t

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Also no, that's not a boost controller.... Just a turbotimer

*Not sure if clear, Not the same thing!
-turbotimer is basically a relay on a timer to turn off the car, nothing really fancy
-A boost controller is something that manages the boost via the wastegate (the wastegate is the physical device that lets off the excess boost)

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Wanted to know if the guy is running 4 lug or 5 lug rims, wondering how much of the car did the previous owner swap over. I know some people throw on everything down to the hubs.

Those are lancer cedia's... That's something you can swap floors with, the waja is a completely dif chassis, u cannot make a Waja look 100% like a EvoThe pillars and everything won't allow it to look like an evo , those Evo converts are are lancers... The waja is not a lancer, it's a completely different car,based off some Volvo design.

Waja 4wd I'm not saying cannot be done, I'm saying if done, it would be best to stay away, that kinda thing is basically a completely custom job, unless you know for certain the guy who did it knows his stuff, keep away, god knows how the guy designed everything underneath (remember unlike lancers the waja never was available with a 4wd floor plan)

MR peaks I'm not sure, but stock gsr 456789 I'm very sure peaks at 1.3. that I'm 100% sure.
He is running 4 lugs.

brokenjars

Known Member

brokenjars

Known Member
Jun 7, 2012
Kedah
Also no, that's not a boost controller.... Just a turbotimer

*Not sure if clear, Not the same thing!
-turbotimer is basically a relay on a timer to turn off the car, nothing really fancy
-A boost controller is something that manages the boost via the wastegate (the wastegate is the physical device that lets off the excess boost)
In that case he dont have a boost controller I think, since he dont have an external wastegate

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Yeah my bad, it's Cedia, not Waja! Lol

Nope, I assure you all Evo 9 whether GSR, MR, or GT have peak 20+psi stock boost which is 1.4 bars! I believe the 8MR is also the same. It then tapers down to around 17psi or 1.2 bars. 8 GSR and below then peak around 19psi then tapers down to 16psi.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In that case he dont have a boost controller I think, since he dont have an external wastegate
Boost controller works with either external or stock internal wastegates. Maybe yours is either manual controller in the engine bay, or permanent boost set in the ECU. Manual controller in the engine bay could be a proper mechanical controller or a makeshift "tulang ikan" setup like mine last time! Lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My Evo Great Grand Daddy running 4 lugs only, but mine not so much power......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As the headline suggests, I would like to know if stripping out the interior is legal or otherwise. The reason is I wish to use my car for track days and be able to use it on the road for sunday drives and TT sessions with friends. Removing the interior before track days and placing it back after is quite troublesome.

Only parts that'll be left over is the dash, drivers seat + safety belt. The car is currently daily driven without AC, power steering, very stiff suspension and radio...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience