Myvi lagi best windscreen cowling keeps coming loose, any fix for it?

scoutfai

Nov 3, 2013

First of all I am very sorry for the lousy picture. My computer bluetooth was dead I cannot send my phone picture to the computer and upload it. So I have to copy a best picture from internet and show as exact as possible what part I am talking about.

Please look at the two red circled area. At this area there is a black trim part, I am not sure what name is it. My one, at the right hand side (driver side), has been accidentally brute force lift up by me when washing. It causes the clip at the bottom, underneath side of the part broken (not the clip circle at the top picture). After that it has been loose, and with a bit of finger strength, one can easily take out the entire part.
I have check the left hand side and it is steadily in place so I am sure the part should stay there firmly.

It does not fly out by itself. But I dislike it, so I ordered a new one from Perodua SC and have them installed it. It costs a super expensive price RM90+.

After the replacement, although the part does not come out easily again (in fact cannot be take out completely like last time), but the upper area (which I circle and label as loose clip) does not "lock" itself firmly to the A pillar.
On the left hand side, which is still an original part, I have check, and it is firmly "lock" to the A pillar. So I know my RHS replacement part does not completely working fine. I have yet to go back to Perodua SC for this but I do not think they will have any intelligent solution neither.

I have took the opportunity in car park lot to inspect other Myvi and I discover some of them demonstrate this loose clip problem (can easily push away from A pillar by finger), some is firmly locked to A pillar.

I am kind of annoyed and dislike this, especially after spending so much to replace it still cannot restore to what it suppose to be. It is not really a big issue, just annoying issue.
I am writing to ask if anyone has come across this problem and has found a working solution, if you do can you please share it with me, it will be very much appreciated.

Others who have a good idea on how can I fix the problem, please share your thought too.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Re: Myvi lagi best part (unknow name) keep loose, any help?

wow, a small clip can make such a big issue, anyways just buy those clips from spare part shop will do, its the same.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

You can't really do anything about that unless you peel out the lining along the glass. And the original clip was somewhat 'molded' to your particular windscreen shape so getting a new one won't be 100%. If it's not hurting you or doing anything to you ignore it la.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

I've removed and installed that thing many times before on my car. It wont completely sealed to the windscreen even when the car just rolled out from the factory. The cause that it is too loose is the moulding is not perfect and you can easily twist the plastic to make it pressing the windscreen. However, to do that means you have to remove it from the car and twist it until it deforms to what you want.

My opinion: Just leave it. It doesnt cause any noise, it doesnt cause leaks, it doesnt pose any hazards. And about the RM90 that you paid, have you checked with spare part shops? I have bought the similar part for a honda accord before and it was only RM100 per pair

scoutfai

Nov 3, 2013

wow, a small clip can make such a big issue, anyways just buy those clips from spare part shop will do, its the same.
No you misunderstand. The clip is not independent clip like what you found on the bumper. It is molded together in one piece with the part. So there is not possible to just replace the clip.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

You can't really do anything about that unless you peel out the lining along the glass. And the original clip was somewhat 'molded' to your particular windscreen shape so getting a new one won't be 100%. If it's not hurting you or doing anything to you ignore it la.
I think the original piece is not custom make to my original windshield shape. I think this part is just like all other parts in the car, mass production, standardize design.

From what I observe, I think it does not required removing the lining along the glass to get this part fit nicely (like my LHS original part). What I observe is the molded clip is kind of shorter than it should be to hold on the A pillar metal (it is like a inverse hook holding mechanism).

I have the original (already taken out) in house. I try to snap a few photos after I borrow a digicam from my friend.

It is "hurting" because I spent to have it replace new :biggrin:.
But it is definitely not killer kind of problem.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

I've removed and installed that thing many times before on my car. It wont completely sealed to the windscreen even when the car just rolled out from the factory. The cause that it is too loose is the moulding is not perfect and you can easily twist the plastic to make it pressing the windscreen. However, to do that means you have to remove it from the car and twist it until it deforms to what you want.

My opinion: Just leave it. It doesnt cause any noise, it doesnt cause leaks, it doesnt pose any hazards. And about the RM90 that you paid, have you checked with spare part shops? I have bought the similar part for a honda accord before and it was only RM100 per pair
Oh GOOD I think you are one of those who really understand, touch and see this part thoroughly before.
Can you please teach how you remove it? I try to take it out myself but it kind of "locked" by a white color clip at the bottom. I checked my original part which already taken out one, this white color clip has some kind of one way design so I wonder how to remove it from the holder without breaking it (my original piece has this clip broken due to the accidental brute force lifting). I am concern another brute force will cost me another RM90.

You kind of state correctly the problem I having. If I was to give it a "lift", and the clip (orange circled area in picture) will nicely "hook" on the A pillar metal, but it will leave a gap with the windshield.
If I do the reverse, press it down touching the windshield, then the clip will not be able to "hook" on the A pillar metal, and will tend to expose itself out.

It is frustrating to see how a OEM part also cannot fit on its own car, especially after knowing the original piece and the LHS (which is still original) able to contact the windshield while hook firmly to the A pillar simultaneously.

As for the pricing yes it is at the high end which I expected because I am getting it from Perodua SC directly. The reason being I was expecting the OEM part will give the best fit. But the outcome is kind of disappointing.

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006

it is just a window/cowl trim, and hardly noticable even it is not there.
Without the trim, water dont leak in.

I would just leave it as it is. I would spend my Rm90 on something else than give me performance in return. This is just me...

scoutfai

Nov 3, 2013

it is just a window/cowl trim, and hardly noticable even it is not there.
Without the trim, water dont leak in.

I would just leave it as it is. I would spend my Rm90 on something else than give me performance in return. This is just me...
:laugh: I can tell you for me it is an eye sore to me and no, it is extremely noticeable to me. Analogy to you guys who emphasize on performance if suddenly your car missing 1hp you too will notice it easily but to others, :thefinger: not even an issue.
I never bother about performance at all. I am a detailing guy. Exterior neatness, originality, cleanliness, are what I pay priority to. And yes that is also just me. You see this world has different kind of car geek. :biggrin:

Anyway thanks for informing the proper name of the part. Yes now that you mention it first, I recall my invoice has something like this printed.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

You cant use brute force to open it. You need to rotate the clip and slide it out carefully. Can refer to one of the pic in this thread:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/428346-nvh-diy-and-tested.html

YES thanks for the pic. The red circle clip is the thing that I want to highlight. It does not hook firmly to the A Pillar metal!

This is the underneath clip that I accidentally destroyed (broken one of its side). The damaged clip causes the cowling part to very easily taken out. On some case it already want to come out but the engine hood stopping it from flying out. Which is another reason I am replacing a new one, for safety.

So your method of removing this cowling is to rotate the black cowling part but let the white clip remains on the hole of the car. After the cowling is removed, only you take this clip out?

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Ok the name of the part is identified. How can I edit the title of this thread?

Last edited:

scoutfai

Nov 3, 2013
You cant use brute force to open it. You need to rotate the clip and slide it out carefully. Can refer to one of the pic in this thread:

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/428346-nvh-diy-and-tested.html
Have been a while since I last post on this thread.
After @cvkit17 shows some hint how to open the cowling, I finally manage to take it out myself and applied a practical fix to it. I done it quite some weeks but now only got time to post this result.

Because I have the damage cowling already so I have a chance to study in detail how to design a fix. I already got the idea long time ago but due to do not know how to take out the cowling safely I haven got a chance to implement it. Thanks to @cvkit17 for the lesson from his DIY thread.

@Izso
As long as the cowling can be removed out and installed back safely there is a fix. I am posting now to share the fix to all Myvi lagi best user.

Here some pics. These are after the fix is implemented.

1) From outside it will just looks the same

2) I custom cut a flexible piece of plastic (white color in this photo) and superglue it at the back of the OEM hook.

3) A small piece but height must long enough.

4) A side view of how high it needs. This involves some trials and errors. But generally speaking even if one uses longer height will be fine.

5)

Sorry do not have photos after installation but it will just looks exactly the same like a normal one. Now if I was to use my finger to push or pull the cowling head outward (since this is a RHS cowling, means if I try to make it goes left), it will not be able to do so anymore because the white plastic already constraint it to the A pillar metal firmly. So now my cowling will never get loose again.

Advice to those who wish to use this method, it is better to use a flexible kind of plastic, like a plastic rulers. That doesn't mean a rigid hard plastic can't be used. Just that a flexible one will give you convenience when installing and removing (in future).

@cvkit17
I think we actually do not need to use a bit of brute force and turning to remove the cowling. I observe that when I install the cowling, I just simply press down, and the white color clip (for RHS is white color) will just easily snap into the hole and secure there firmly. There is a one-way-lock design on the clip, so after snap into the hole the clip cannot lift up again. I think we need to use something like a long forceps, grasp on the clip (at the bottom), once the one-way-lock is compressed, it will leave the hole easily. Once this is success, the whole cowling just lift up easily.
I notice also the little brute force and turning method of removing it actually grind away a bit of the plastic, both on the clip and and on the cowling. I think someone who remove and install it frequently, using this method will eventually end up with a lose clip fitting slot on the cowling. Just my 2cents.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Nice one!

Yeap no brute force is needed. Just gotta turn the red/white clip and then slide the whole thing out. I spent more than 10minutes to investigate how to remove that thing properly without damaging it lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HALO! guys! need a help!
i wan to change rear drum to brake disc,so wat size or car disc brake
can use in satria 1.3, did it need to change 15inch rim? :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience