Myvi: Back to eye surgery.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi Folks,

Sorry that I been missing awhile. Been busy with the Delsol, life, holiday, life, office work, life and a few other things.

Ehem ehem, ok, lets get down to it shall we.

Upon arrival, the headlamps were blurry, yellowish and having the typical symptoms of a failing headlamp.

The top part that is exposed to sun the longest.

As usual, the same can be seen on the other side of the headlamp

Closer look.... yeap, its definitely blurry. It feels rough to the touch as well.

And so... we started off with sanding.

Starting with 1500 grit wet sanding.

I sand one side, owner sands the other side

After done sanding with 1500 grit sandpaper...... u get a blurry mess

More refinement is done with 2000 grit sandpaper. Can see here that the hazing from the sanding is more even and lighter.

The passenger side which was done by the owner.

No more yellowing.

So.... after all those sanding, we move on to Compounding. This is after 1 pass of Optimum Hyper Compound + Optimum Double Sided Wool Pad on a Makita 9227c at speed......fast.

Can you see tell the difference?

Done for both side and it looks more even.

What about the foglamp....

Taped it up and start compounding. We did not sand the foglamp..... cause we didn't want to.

And it turns out... pretty decent....

AND WE ARE DONE.............

NO more hazing, yellowish thingy.

The difference between before and after........ is like heaven and hell.........

Notes:
- Headlamp was restored to near perfect condition. Only thing left was the cracks on the headlamp.
- Reason for restoration instead of replacement of a cracked headlamp..... water not seeping into the headlamp so no need to replace.
- Foglamp, even if it looks good on the photos, but closer inspection will tell you that only the yellowing was removed. It still feels rough and stone chips can easily be felt.
- I reckon sanding the foglamps would yeild better results but heck owner is gonna change to Passo bodykit.
- Some people asked me why spend so much to coat the headlamp when they can pay RM50 to RM120 to those cuci kereta boys to polish their headlamps each year and some even every other month............ well answer to that is...... can you see the amount of plastic removed from your headlamp with just one time restoration? Look at the white powder on my floor and you will understand.

- So what happens if it removes a lot of the plastic? Well, you risk thinning your headlamp and if you do hit a stone/pebble/a very big bug while driving at speeds, the headlamp may just break. Your headlamp, your choice.

Time Spend: bout 4 hours (owner did help me sand one of the headlamps which saves me a lot of time.)
Product used: 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper, ONR as lubrication, water...duh, Optimum Hyper Compound, Optimum Hyper Polish, Optimum Double Sided Wool Pad, Optimum Double Sided Foam Pad, Opti-Coat 2.0.
Satisfaction level: Sweetly done.... owner satisfaction level was beyond.

Please do leave your comments as it is much appreciated.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
Will the yellowish come back ? Any product that can apply to protect plastic from getting yellowish ?

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Nice work there man... I know it ain easy to sand it down especially rounded headlamps like the myvi... One question. Did you mean that sanding with 1500 grit failed to remove the micro cracks?

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Will the yellowish come back ? Any product that can apply to protect plastic from getting yellowish ?
I used Opti Coat 2.0 on this headlamp and also previously on the Kia Optima I did. So far, no yellowing after so many months (the KIA) whereas a normal polish job with no protection you pay outside ppl would have yellowed within 2 months

Nice work there man... I know it ain easy to sand it down especially rounded headlamps like the myvi... One question. Did you mean that sanding with 1500 grit failed to remove the micro cracks?
Still easier than weird shape headlamps like the Civic I did. Got bonggol makes it harder to sand around. 1500 grit did remove some of the micro cracks but takes a longer time as the removal is slower. The cracks I mentioned in the notes were for really really big cracks. As in those that kena langgar and then pecah kinda crack.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Job : Testing of Car workshop/garage software

Who : You must be a mechanic , owner or someone working in a workshop/garage

Goal :
The software is meant to assist the operations and running of a workshop/garage to:
1. Safe time
2. Increase repeat business

The software is currently on beta testing (free)

Salary : RM 100-300 per 1 hour session. Each test would take a total of 1 hour. That includes 30 m using the software, 10 m to write a simple report, 20 m for Q&A (if...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience