Mythbuster/Does-it-work? Spark plug cables

dennisdreams

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
diff spark plug had diff char which need diff tuning, cannot really saying the cable was doing all the works but it's the setting also took a lot of measurement as well~

just my 2-cents~ cheerio~

drjoe

Mar 19, 2012
Johor Bahru
diff spark plug had diff char which need diff tuning, cannot really saying the cable was doing all the works but it's the setting also took a lot of measurement as well~

just my 2-cents~ cheerio~
I agree with you, proper choice of the spark plug type (e.g. hot type / cold type, spark plug tip gap, and etc) is important to optimise the engine performance, the function of the spark plug cable is just to conduct the high voltage current from the ignition coil to the spark plug. Spark plug cable has stronger ignition spark energy that enable to have the self cleaning of the carbon deposits from the spark plug, especially when the vehicle is running at a speed of exceeding 80 Km/Hr, that can reduce the carbon fouling of the spark plug avoiding the misfire problem.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I've got something in my mind. What does the ECU adapt to, when we have a bigger spark? The controllable parameter to the ECU is fuel. When less air going into the chamber, the ECU adjust accordingly to it. But when we have a bigger spark or misfire, as far as I understand, the ECU does nothing to counter it as it has not control over them other than providing signal to give electricity at the right time. Unless I am wrong. Any bro can clarify?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
IMHO, ECU control fuel & spark timing

It detects air by AFM, MAP, etc & inject fuel according to the programmed air fuel ratio

And it checks with knock sensor & oxygen sensor

Then it adjust the fuel & spark timing accordingly

VTEC, VVT, etc has another set of programming n sensors

This is from my knowledge la. I could be wrong :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

I've got something in my mind. What does the ECU adapt to, when we have a bigger spark? The controllable parameter to the ECU is fuel. When less air going into the chamber, the ECU adjust accordingly to it. But when we have a bigger spark or misfire, as far as I understand, the ECU does nothing to counter it as it has not control over them other than providing signal to give electricity at the right time. Unless I am wrong. Any bro can clarify?
ECU didn't detect a bigger spark. It just detect knock & oxygen

If it detect knock, it will inject more fuel & retard spark timing

If it detect less oxygen, it will inject lesser fuel & advance spark timing

In the case of bigger spark, the oxygen has been burn completely..

So, ECU will reduce the fuel & u'll get better FC :biggrin:

I stand corrected :biggrin:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I agree that spark timing is to avoid knocks..I get the theory of bigger spark results in better combustion i.e. a more complete burning. But I personally do not think that it affect or being effected by AF ratio. Of course, with bigger spark, better combustion, thus more power and smoother ride. I think it actually improve the burning efficiency instead of providing more fuel/air.

I believe that a good ignition cable can improve the car responsiveness and "smoothness" we called...berapa RM sebiji btw?

achelone

Known Member
Jun 3, 2009
when the burning is complete, how more complete can it be? if your ignition is weaken then replacing worn part will get the original performance back....but it will never obtain more than original....this excludes tuning topics and etc.....that another story...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
IMHO, ECU control fuel & spark timing

It detects air by AFM, MAP, etc & inject fuel according to the programmed air fuel ratio

And it checks with knock sensor & oxygen sensor

Then it adjust the fuel & spark timing accordingly

VTEC, VVT, etc has another set of programming n sensors

This is from my knowledge la. I could be wrong :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

ECU didn't detect a bigger spark. It just detect knock & oxygen

If it detect knock, it will inject more fuel & retard spark timing

If it detect less oxygen, it will inject lesser fuel & advance spark timing

In the case of bigger spark, the oxygen has been burn completely..

So, ECU will reduce the fuel & u'll get better FC :biggrin:

I stand corrected :biggrin:

Agree with this. Besides burning more completely and the ECU injecting less fuel, the increase response and torque will also result in less throttle input giving better FC.

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Anymore reviews? Any update on the dyno chart?
Anybody else using this Best I Cable?

How much is a set (4 cables)?

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
cvkit17; said:
I agree that spark timing is to avoid knocks..I get the theory of bigger spark results in better combustion i.e. a more complete burning. But I personally do not think that it affect or being effected by AF ratio. Of course, with bigger spark, better combustion, thus more power and smoother ride. I think it actually improve the burning efficiency instead of providing more fuel/air.

I believe that a good ignition cable can improve the car responsiveness and "smoothness" we called...berapa RM sebiji btw?
You believed yourself that a stronger spark leads to more complete burning. Complete burning on the other hand means AFR is affected. So ECU read sensor readings, and adjusts according to the tune and adjust its output potentially leading to better performance.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

dear Experts,:wavey:

Is it better to replace with whole blade or just refill with a rubber wiper blade?
My stock wiper (ya, never changed before) need to be changed on my toyota vios 2006.

Any recommendations in terms of cost and easy of replacement?

Thanks for reading.

Have a nice day.

Regards
Richard Tan:wavey:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience