my Viva battery leaked how to stop it?

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
Hi all sifu,

My Viva battery leak quite serious, battery's base melted, all the paint is coming out, mechs all telling to replace battery to dry one, but so many friends dry battery dead just 7 months or so (mine "wet battery" last atleast 1 year plus).
Any idea how to solve this? my batt. just 8 months old. googled the prob. saying probably alternater overcharge the batt. if overcharge can be solve by installing voltage regulator? or grounding cable kit? please help! I dun have so much $$ to spare :vollkommenauf:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi all sifu,

My Viva battery leak quite serious, battery's base melted, all the paint is coming out, mechs all telling to replace battery to dry one, but so many friends dry battery dead just 7 months or so (mine "wet battery" last atleast 1 year plus).
Any idea how to solve this? my batt. just 8 months old. googled the prob. saying probably alternater overcharge the batt. if overcharge can be solve by installing voltage regulator? or grounding cable kit? please help! I dun have so much $$ to spare :vollkommenauf:
Base melted? Better change the battery, before the acid corrodes more of your paint and metal.
I just changed mine yesterday because leaking from the top. I could aradite it but battery already 2 years old, might as well change it.
Find out why the base melted? Overcharge, normally will dry up the battery water.
Dry battery? do you mean Maintenance free?

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Hi all sifu,

Firstly, nice username.

If the battery was fine (eg NEW), then you could go get your cars wiring checked. However for such a new/modern car.. it'd be funny if its the culprit.

Do u have any other "electronics" modded to ur ride?

I personally know a certain Kia service center who sells "new" (read: OLD) battery to unsuspecting customers who send their car for either service/repair there. So make sure the battery itself isnt faulty/expired first.

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
sorry, i mean maintenance free (dry batt.)

yep there is a plastic base under the battery for the batt. to sit on top so it can be fasten by screw.

electronic mod? erm... just changed to Sony CD player, BM honk+OEM honk with switch to switch around, daylight running LED, that's all.

the battery needs to refill once a month atleast, so is it consider overcharge? so what should I do? add on grounding? or replace alternator?

thank for replies! :wavey:

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
My understanding of vehicular electrics ends here.. perhaps get it check by a wireman see if ur cars wiring is golden.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
sorry, i mean maintenance free (dry batt.)

yep there is a plastic base under the battery for the batt. to sit on top so it can be fasten by screw.

electronic mod? erm... just changed to Sony CD player, BM honk+OEM honk with switch to switch around, daylight running LED, that's all.

the battery needs to refill once a month atleast, so is it consider overcharge? so what should I do? add on grounding? or replace alternator?

thank for replies! :wavey:
You mention base broken, and leaking? Do you mean battery casing is still okay? In that case, the battery water/acid is coming out from the vent. Does the battery terminal have white powder?

Nope, alternator suppose to deliver higher voltage then battery, if not, would not be able to charge the battery. Get wire man to check the charging system, it suppose to cut off charging when battery is fully charged.

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
ic... will send for eletrician, any recommended shop around puchong?

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
thank you bro!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Battery nowadays very poor the quality. Bought my 2nd hand kelisa, the 2nd hand dealer
changed the battery to new one for me....then after 6 months 3 days, the battery
my mechanic checked, is already weak...recommend to change.

So, went back to change with the 2nd hand dealer, he called the mechanic in his room
instead of calling in front of me. Yet he told me the battery is only 6 months warranty...

:confused: 6 months warranty? never heard of a battery is 6 months warranty, he told
me some battery is 6 months warranty, fine I dun want to argue, I said okay fine
if 6 months, mine only past few days, can u settle for me with your mechanic?

He went and call, then came back, told me cant change, I say only few days also he
dont change for u ar? He said, the mech will change if he can one cuz he is my
regular mech for 2nd hand cars...in my heart, I was like "WTF?"

Okay, drove off and he did recommend me to change to GP. Went back to my mech,
I told him what he said, then he say where got battery 6months warranty one...

He also shake head...Then ask him if he accept trade in, he take it for RM30.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Battery nowadays very poor the quality. Bought my 2nd hand kelisa, the 2nd hand dealer
changed the battery to new one for me....then after 6 months 3 days, the battery
my mechanic checked, is already weak...recommend to change.

So, went back to change with the 2nd hand dealer, he called the mechanic in his room
instead of calling in front of me. Yet he told me the battery is only 6 months warranty...

:confused: 6 months warranty? never heard of a battery is 6 months warranty, he told
me some battery is 6 months warranty, fine I dun want to argue, I said okay fine
if 6 months, mine only past few days, can u settle for me with your mechanic?

He went and call, then came back, told me cant change, I say only few days also he
dont change for u ar? He said, the mech will change if he can one cuz he is my
regular mech for 2nd hand cars...in my heart, I was like "WTF?"

Okay, drove off and he did recommend me to change to GP. Went back to my mech,
I told him what he said, then he say where got battery 6months warranty one...

He also shake head...Then ask him if he accept trade in, he take it for RM30.
Those days got woh! I asked before unbranded ones they say 6 months warranty only..:confused:
I was lucky one time when my battery went dead 2 days before expiry so mange to claim a new one, but second one no more warranty, so when kaput, have to buy new ones. So far all my batteries have lasted between 18 to 24 months.....:driver:

headshot

Known Member
May 26, 2005
Malaysia
send that dealer to hospital sure make sure he is in the condition 3 months "warranty" in hospital

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Oh...seems is true that there is 6 months warranty battery..anyway, adi changed the
battery. So, nvm. Change to ROCKET brand that is only available at the workshop.

Trying out this brand and see...dry cell.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Missing as of today morning (7/20/2005)

Guys, please keep on a lookout for my brother's car. Silver Kembara, WLL 9269. With red Liverpool sticker at the back, bearing the words "Support Liverpool, Eat Football, Sleep Football, Hate Man U" and zerotohundred.com sticker on the back also.

Call me at Maxis 2055574 or my brother at Maxis 3933534

Thanks!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience