My review on kumho ku36, and toyo r1r.

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
hello motoring buddies....i would like to share my personal experience/review on both tyre as per title. :smokin: i know that there are tonnes of reviews on these tyres but what the heck.....this is my personal experience using them here locally on malaysian roads, malaysian weather,....and everything malaysian to it....hahaha.....

to begin with, my ride is a proton waja 1.6 campro manual with some malaysian mods here n there:biggrin:.....im currently on tein superstreet HLSF (8kg fr, 6kg rr), complete hard/polyurethane suspension bushings with related suspension strenghtening bars, etc.....my current wheels are rays te37 (15j x 6.5j x off+39) with complete gsr/evo brakes.

as for tyres, previously i was on kumho and now changed to toyo.... spec as below:

kumho ecsta xs ku36
size: 205/50/15
treadwear: 180
traction: A
temperature: A
price: rm300/pc
origin: korea
hot psi: 39
cold psi: 41

well, my review on the kumho would be that to me it is a superb poor man's neova (ad07, not ad08) as it behaves almost the same. traction in dry is at par and the sidewall is one of the hardest for street legat dot tyres allowed me to maneuver and change direction rapidly and do some insane G during hard cornering without any sign of slipping.....well, i did spun my car once coming down to toll jalan duta from jalan kuching but that was purely my technical fault as i had to slammed the brakes going in full blow WOT while in mid corner cos one lucky damn EX5 pancung right infront of me....(i would have killed u dude:thefinger:....whoever u are) due to that i also realised that the kumhos love extreme slip angle but it will not communicate to u it is losing grip until its too late (unlike neovas or potenzas which communicates better).....

in wet, it is much better than neova ad07 but still require extra care due to the large tread pattern (in most case the same as others in the same category) but driving in the wet is still pleasant enough if u re not going at ridicoulous speed....

as for the tread wear, the kumho was superb to me as i managed to get est30,000kms out of it....considering i daily drive n do WOT at every gear most of the time.... all in all, i would buy this tyre again and again........ the only prob is that the stock.... dunno why but its kinda hard to get hold of these tyres lately........

toyo proxes r1-r
size: 195/55/15
treadwear: 140
traction: AA
temperature: A
price: rm370/pc
origin: japan
hot psi: 37
cold psi: 39-40

just got my new tyres 2 days ago an still tyring to run few heat cycles into it. so far so good but my car is feeling slightly wobbly....maybe cos less wider than the kumho with taller stance.... the r-compound grips better than the kumho but sidewall is softer....

well, i have yet to hantam this babes but i will be sure to do so once i have complete the heat cycle run-ins.....managed to drive them in the extreme wet last night and i was impressed:biggrin:.....it handles like a michelin pp2 in wet.... maybe cos still lotsa thread..heheh.....the only thing i notice driving to work this morning is that they are much2 noisier than the kumhos with weird humming tone coming into the cabin.....but i can still live with it as my RO exhaust set-up is really2 noisy.....

well, ill be sure to update from time to time....stay logged in bros:listen:...

Attachments

Last edited:

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
anyone with similar experience using these babes? maybe on diff cars/engines/sizes?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
im interested to know of a comparison betweeen KU36 vs Potenza RE001 or RE002

Ray0611

Jun 4, 2007
bro im using r1r in my hyundai getz b4 195/55/r15 on dry is super grip on par with the advan neova :)fast cornering no problems :) but in wet carefull after about 50% is damn horrible.... tread wear very fast if u everyday wreak it XD

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
wow bro you really used those ku36 kaw kaw before change. hehehe. i think you can update your review after using the r1r longer.. now still new so not entirely accurate assessment.

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
I've used AD07, RE01R, R888, now on T1R and planning to opt for either Federal 595 RS-R or Federal FZ-202. However unable to gather sufficient reviews on both tires. Thus am thorn on which tire to purchase. Maybe I'll keep my option open for KU36 perhaps..

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
FYI, im using re001 for my rear 205/55/15.... all i can say it is a wonderful all round street tyre... able to accomodate for normal to extreme driver.....on the STREET... but once u bring it to track they kinda rubbish..... as they warm up to quickly after few laps, you'll be seeing ur lap time go down n down n down.....all u hear is the tyres screamingggggggggggg for traction......muahahah quite scary n fun if u know what u re doing.... well ku36 not as comfortable as re001 but grip better in dry n more noisy once it starts to wear off..... also a bald potenza re001 grip sucks, but ku36 as they become bald they grip even better, just like true semis......

nice review bro! :rock:
thanks bro.... stay tuned as i will update more.... but it seems that this few days asyik hujan jek....:banghead:

wow bro you really used those ku36 kaw kaw before change. hehehe. i think you can update your review after using the r1r longer.. now still new so not entirely accurate assessment.
yeah bro.... used it kaw2..... loved every moment of it...... give the toyos few heat cycles then should be even better but the sidewall is still soft to me....should've got the r888 instead, even though it is definitely heavier than the r1r or the ku36....heheheh:rofl:

[H] [K] [S];1063721269 said:
I've used AD07, RE01R, R888, now on T1R and planning to opt for either Federal 595 RS-R or Federal FZ-202. However unable to gather sufficient reviews on both tires. Thus am thorn on which tire to purchase. Maybe I'll keep my option open for KU36 perhaps..
nice bro....595-rsr is good for both dry n wet, somesay even better than r1r or re11......definitely worth buying but problem is the after sales service n quality of the manufacturer....some reported that their rsr sidewall got bloated / kembung after 2-3 serious heat cycles..... and when u wanna change it it is very difficult.... retails at rm360-380 per pc...... the fz-202 isnt advisable to be used as a daily driven and in the wet..... the wear should also be quick.... almost similar to potenza re55s... better make the right decision to suit your needs....:smokin:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
FYI, im using re001 for my rear 205/55/15.... all i can say it is a wonderful all round street tyre... able to accomodate for normal to extreme driver.....on the STREET... but once u bring it to track they kinda rubbish..... as they warm up to quickly after few laps, you'll be seeing ur lap time go down n down n down.....all u hear is the tyres screamingggggggggggg for traction......muahahah quite scary n fun if u know what u re doing.... well ku36 not as comfortable as re001 but grip better in dry n more noisy once it starts to wear off..... also a bald potenza re001 grip sucks, but ku36 as they become bald they grip even better, just like true semis......
thanks... this is basically wat i wanna hear... especially about the track part...

was looking for tires for daily and still be able to handle the track. guess its KU36 then...:thefinger:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
the KU36 is definitely the best bang-for-buck performance tire. at RM500/pc for 225/45/17, its definitely the best overall street tire especially if you track your car.

however, may not be the best choice for those concerned with thread wear and wet grip.

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
thanks... this is basically wat i wanna hear... especially about the track part...

was looking for tires for daily and still be able to handle the track. guess its KU36 then...:thefinger:

well, depending on your budget.....
kumho is the cheapest with performance to match, but not true semis, means that in track you will still lose to true semis....
ad08/re11/r888 is better than ku36, given price isnt an issue as they are expensive rubbers with short lifespan....
federal rsr is also a viable choice but comes with its own problems too....heheheh.....
older re01r/ad07 are cheaper but hard to get now and mostly used tyres.....maybe no longer suitable to be abuse.....takut pecah/koyak during top speed runs....... mati weyyyyyy:banghead:

now what:confused:

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

bro im using r1r in my hyundai getz b4 195/55/r15 on dry is super grip on par with the advan neova :)fast cornering no problems :) but in wet carefull after about 50% is damn horrible.... tread wear very fast if u everyday wreak it XD
hahahah thanks for the info bro....how many kms already u have used your r1r? how much tread still left? how does it behave now? based on what u said in the wet its horrible....but should get better n better in dry rite? lose some n win some?:biggrin:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
federal rsr is also a viable choice but comes with its own problems too....heheheh.....
i dunno much abt federal tires... wat kinda problems u talking about?

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
i dunno much abt federal tires... wat kinda problems u talking about?
595-rsr is good for both dry n wet, somesay even better than r1r or re11......definitely worth buying but problem is the after sales service n quality of the manufacturer....some reported that their rsr sidewall got bloated / kembung after 2-3 serious heat cycles.....:hmmmm: and when u wanna change it it is very difficult....(warranty wise)

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
nice bro....595-rsr is good for both dry n wet, somesay even better than r1r or re11......definitely worth buying but problem is the after sales service n quality of the manufacturer....some reported that their rsr sidewall got bloated / kembung after 2-3 serious heat cycles..... and when u wanna change it it is very difficult.... retails at rm360-380 per pc...... the fz-202 isnt advisable to be used as a daily driven and in the wet..... the wear should also be quick.... almost similar to potenza re55s... better make the right decision to suit your needs....:smokin:
No kidding?! Bloated sidewalls?! Bad after sales service?! WTH?! Haiya Taiwan tires... Thanks for the info man...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm guessing my Kembara is the first to be Titan-ed and below are my feedback on this dampers. I've only replace the dampers.

My setup is pretty straight forward. My Kembar OEM springs were replaced with a slightly stiffer and longer spring for a 1" lift. I've requested for a longer dampers to provide more articulation for my Kembara for offroading purpose. This was duly done and nicely calculated by Richard. The from was increased by 30cm while the rear 25cm. The dampening effect was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience