My MR2 turbo upgrade project

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Aisay man....changing the head in my own house car porch is a real pain in the ..#@%. No 2 or 4 post lift is a real challenge. DIY is where all the fun & frustration start.....take my own sweet time. No w/shop wants to do it for me, so have to do it myself. Adjusting the valve clearance is another time & patience test, you get frustrated fumbling with the tool and maths calculation.
Next is the turbo & exhaust mod............it will be next time.......hang in there and waiting for my writeup.......interesting I promise...as there are too many to mod, wait and see.
Well, someone is going to say where & why take so long to do my project. Well, you see,.......I got distracted and got into the following projects:-
Photo 1. Have to redo my hifi room flooring, the wooden flooring was devastated by termite attack, so have to refloor on my own alone, no help from anyone. Lucky me have friend in the sawmill business that got me the wooden plank, took me a long time to get them replaced last December 2012. See all the tube amps???.... all built by me ( DIY ).
Photo 2. See the wooden horn ?? that was carved by myself a few years back ( 2011 ) and the big speaker -- 15 " that pair of speaker made in the 70s. I made the wooden box.
Photo 3. DAC kit, waiting to be finished and cry to be completed soon, well, have to wait.
Photo 4. Solar PV !!!!!! hey I go GREEN........when are you going to do something for the global warming? & future generation ?
Photo 5. My battery bank, the most expensive part of a Solar electric system.

You see.......all these took up all my time away from my 2 project. Mood change .....things got changed.

Attachments

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
The solar panel is not that expensive, the batteries cost a leg & a hand.:rolleyes:

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Also got my header ceramic coated and installed. A lot of piping work when replacing the former header to this one which involves a lot of modification of pipe and numerous trial & error of fitting problem when doing this on my own at home without any welding facilities. Have to do piece by piece and visit the welding shop numerous time as the car is stranded at home on stands. A lot time and effort put in. Car is in running condition now after been sleeping for a long time.

Attachments

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
My next coming project of upgrading..........Standalone DIY MegaSquirt ECU....to replace the OEM ECU and to do away with AFM unit, this might take sometime to install and others coming soon.......See photos, ECU & wiring harness ready and will be doing wasted spark ( distributor less)........my plan/goal.

Attachments

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Oop! one wrong photo.......earlier post, that was my DIY Top loading CD player main control board for my HiFi........
Here it is the photo of my ignition coil that will replace the OEM and goes distributor less with wasted spark.

Attachments

Last edited:

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Sent my OS Giken twin plate clutch for upgrade with BRclutch, expecting arrival today...........will need to get it installed soon.
Will post photos once received to share what they do.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
This is not so much about the car..but the labor of love. MR2. ahh.. would look great in dark blue

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Not bad of a job however could be more professional if they were to work the details such as remove the machining burrs and wash the parts after completion. Otherwise would be great piece of work when someone would take all the trouble to make such a cheap alternative than buying the OEM imports.
Here are the photos...........yet to get it installed and test out. Will need some run in to perform well.

Attachments

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Also got my header ceramic coated and installed. A lot of piping work when replacing the former header to this one which involves a lot of modification of pipe and numerous trial & error of fitting problem when doing this on my own at home without any welding facilities. Have to do piece by piece and visit the welding shop numerous time as the car is stranded at home on stands. A lot time and effort put in. Car is in running condition now after been sleeping for a long time.
what thickness of those header did you use?

tgkuamir

Nov 26, 2006
My next coming project of upgrading..........Standalone DIY MegaSquirt ECU....to replace the OEM ECU and to do away with AFM unit, this might take sometime to install and others coming soon.......See photos, ECU & wiring harness ready and will be doing wasted spark ( distributor less)........my plan/goal.
Any reason why mega squirt? not the other brand of stand alone?

Green06

Known Member
Apr 17, 2006
Pahang
Hi Tg.,
Why MS, it is because MS can be DIY. I am a DIYer and thats it...........:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A few years ago, getting your car’s tyres changed meant stopping over at the tyre shop and if you needed to do an oil change that would require a pit stop at another shop.

Today the centralization of all car services is a boon for car owners as this means they can ensure their vehicles get the proper TLC it needs with the convenience of having it done under one roof to save time and money as...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience