My 2L B-Series N/A Project

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Its been a while since my last update in April.. :retarded:

Been very busy to even work on my current build. Some more changes along the month.. Pistons will be changed to Wiseco high compression ones that will hopefully allow me to use one of the Pro series cams from Skunk2. But the Skunk2 Pro Series cams had been out of stock in USa for a while and we are still waiting for the orders to arrive in Malaysia.

My mech wants to assemble the engine, allow it to run in and do a base map with Toda Cams first then later next month went everything is ready will strip the head to inspect the block and swap in the built head.

Basically, everything on the bottom end is ready to assemble but head not ready. Talked to him just now, and he will figure out a mild head with Toda C for me to get the engine fired up for run in. I know this sound crazy but will let the old man do as he say. :_:

Just some pictures of the NEW piston that i'm gonna use.

Will update more when i visit my mech.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
It's one thing to see the wiseco high comp pistons on a B16a block. The small bore doesn't offer a lot swept volume to bump up compression to ridiculous levels.

It's quite another to see the same wiseco high comps with an 85mm bore with the same high comp dome.

This is going to be crazy high compression combo.. possibly pushing 13+, I think.. kind of depends on the combustion chamber volume your mech is going to go for.

I think he's going to look at how the pistons tolerate detonation when he strips the thing after the run in.. with high comp, the engine will knock.. just how severe is the question.

Last edited:

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
On catalogue it calls for about 13.2-13.5:1 compression with 89mm crank and b20b block with b16a 42.7cc camber.

Since this build is using 87.2mm crank it will drop by about 0.2-0.3. Then combustion chamber is cut open for 85mm, so again will drop a few point but by how much really no idea yet as you know they don't cc the chamber.

My anticipation, when the build is complete, it should be about 13:1 compression. Too high for road use. And have to use high duration + lift + overlap to reduce the dynamic compression to make full use of the high static compression. Was told to reduce overall ignition timing to be safe. So 1st tune will run low ignition and see how much power is made with the toda c cams.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
On catalogue it calls for about 13.2-13.5:1 compression with 89mm crank and b20b block with b16a 42.7cc camber.

Since this build is using 87.2mm crank it will drop by about 0.2-0.3. Then combustion chamber is cut open for 85mm, so again will drop a few point but by how much really no idea yet as you know they don't cc the chamber.

My anticipation, when the build is complete, it should be about 13:1 compression. Too high for road use. And have to use high duration + lift + overlap to reduce the dynamic compression to make full use of the high static compression. Was told to reduce overall ignition timing to be safe. So 1st tune will run low ignition and see how much power is made with the toda c cams.
Ah.. but don't forget.. lots of retard = high EGTs.. and the manifold 'is connected' to the head... possible heat transfer there. a heated up head will have hotspots, usually near the exhaust valve area I think, prime candidate for detonation/pre-ignition. I wonder how you will get around this.

Well.. see how your's will be done... and what cams you'd need. Too bad they don't cc the chambers.. having a record might actually help in deciding cam choices.

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Just came back from my mech place.

Too bad when i arrive the engine is assemble and they were torqueing the head already. Couldn't get any pictures of the piston installed on the block.

Managed to take some pictures of the head i loan. Those head it is using now is not mine, and it my mechs partners. It has new ITR valves on them, toda valve springs and crower retainers. I know this head made 230whp on another engine. Wonder how much it will make on this setup..... :mouth_closed:

Attachments

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
What cams? Toda C like you mentioned earlier?

Hmm... the intake seems to have material removed.. but pictures are blurry.. I think it's just a port match, rather than a full PNP job.

Well.. let us know how much you get when you do dyno it.

dcloo

1,500 RPM
May 11, 2005
kl
if this engine was running on 13.1 CR n vtech engage at 5700-5800 rpm should get 195-210 whp 8k rpm

will get engine knock at 2800-3300

this wat was come out from my car experince 13.2.1 CR
using almost same setup just piston JE/stroke 89

idling should not a problem at 1000 rpm if cam set at 105/108 degree

hope chris can get 230 whp by running on normal fuel octane 97/vpower octane 100
if can use octane 106 will get better results n out of knock problem for HP gain

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
if this engine was running on 13.1 CR n vtech engage at 5700-5800 rpm should get 195-210 whp 8k rpm

hope chris can get 230 whp by running on normal fuel octane 97/vpower octane 100
if can use octane 106 will get better results n out of knock problem for HP gain
Dependend on cams setup and tuning.. I think.. high comp is only as good as the ignition settings and fuelling.. if you retard the ignition, you will sacrifice power on high comp engines.

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
What cams? Toda C like you mentioned earlier?

Hmm... the intake seems to have material removed.. but pictures are blurry.. I think it's just a port match, rather than a full PNP job.

Well.. let us know how much you get when you do dyno it.
Toda C cams. Sorry for blur pictures as it was taken with my phone. It is a used head, but what i can see on the intake side is the runners are ported all the way into the bowl area. Also can see the brand new ITR intake valves. Exhaust side can't much as there are carbon on the ports. Only can see valves are very clean.

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005

We normally set the vtec transition at 5800 - 6000rpm depending where it made most power.

is your cam set at intake 105 and exhaust 108. I remember Toda recommends set at 105/105 on cam card??

My target for these head and cam is 215-225whp. But i do hope with a few more new bolt-ons next month + my own ported head with Skunk Pro cams can get me pass 235whp. hehe...

hattech-v said:
dcloo, no wonder laaa u can get 228atw... hehe
Now we all know!! haha...

dcloo

1,500 RPM
May 11, 2005
kl

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Its a sad week for me as when my mech drop the engine in to the bay, and we fill up the radiator with water and waited a while and noticed some water sipping out of the block near the dipstick between cylinder 3 and 4!!

A closer inspection revealed that when the sleeved was pumped into the block it created stress crack which was hairline :confused_smile:

As the block is a major part of my build, i will have to save more money now for a new block... So it seems like i have to hold on to my project till i have funds for another sleeved block which i don't think will be any time soon as i'm also due to re-build another engine for mme :shcokedcamo:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Everyone seems to like it but i see it as just another proton with a different name. IMO i dont think that Persona is going to sell successfully, just as the proton canselor ( or how do you spell this ). I was hoping to see another model completely. I havent seen it in real life yet so i cant quite judge, but still i have only seen a canselor once since its launch. anyone seen a canselor more than once on the roads?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience